Menu

Sigh-6th grade plans are lacking connection-making and deep thinking...

I can't make my plans come out like I want-it is more like a curriculum list, when what I want is to help her make connections and think more deeply in each subject.

I was looking at the Omnibus samples, and the deep questions they ask there are more what I have in mind, but it is too lit centered; but it's the type of thing that I want to do all the way across the curriculum.

I just plain don't know how to *teach* logic stage effectively! I'm frustrated because a bunch of dd's friends are in the gifted program in ps here, and they will be discussing Beowulf at a deep level, etc-it really is a great program and more what I had in mind to do for (advanced) dd when we started logic stage.

I think I have logic stage skills covered-writing with IEW/Elegant Essay, outlining from white KF, notetaking/studying for quizzes etc in an advanced co-op sci class, plus we're doing Fallacy Detective, etc.

It's more that I'm missing actual analysis, etc. She is ready for this, and actually ahead of me! When we read now, she is looking deeper than what's there and questioning, etc.

We're basically doing Middle Ages/Ren/Ref with Biblioplan-that uses MOH2 and 3 (she'll also listen to SOTW 2 and Diana Waring). I got this for primary sources, which looks great: http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Early-Modern-World-Reference/dp/0195178483/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311859358&sr=8-1.

I'm choosing coordinating lit books, but don't really know what to do with them, other than read them.

I tried TOG last yr to help with this, but we like to use a spine and TOG felt disjointed. I'm not a fan of some lit guides because they beat the book to death. I do have Teaching the Classics here and I'm about to watch it. I'm also debating on doing portions of LL7/BJU Lit 7 (which I have) because they seem to be more hand-holding on lit analysis. Are there resources I am missing to help me teach logic stage?

Better yet, how are you helping your logic stage students to critically think through their history, lit, and Bible rather than just reading it?

What I've done and continue to do is read the material too and talk about it with my kids. It is really my favorite part of homeschooling, and it is the payoff for all the years of teaching them. I'm always surprised at how many connections my kids make and how deeply they think about things.

Try scheduling some time at the end of each week to talk. You can preread the books (or skim the topics) and take a few notes for yourself so that you have something to talk about if you get stumped. Maybe even google essay questions about the lit books for ideas for discussion topics. It all starts coming together when you talk about it. It helps the kids sort through their ideas and learn to voice their opinions.

Logic students are getting ready to join "the great conversation." It is a terrific time to take their hands and walk them into it.

and for a place to start.... SparkNotes online has a history section with study notes and essay questions. http://www.sparknotes.com/history/european/middle2/study.html

there are lots of terrific resources for most literature you would assign, for example. http://www.webenglishteacher.com/beowulf.html

Edited by Karen in CO

I felt the same way last year for 6th grade and found some things to help. First, I stumbled across this website:

http://www.studentsfriend.com/onhist/frame.html

The discussion here of conceptual frameworks for history was very helpful to me. I worked through the definitions of invention, diffusion, organization, power, freedom, and disintegration with my DS. I found a graphic organizer chart that I liked and we put each concept on one. Then as we discussed events in history, he would add examples of each of these concepts to his charts.

This is not a perfect response to the need to make connections or think more deeply about history, but it's a start, and works well for a 6th grader. For 7th grade I may revisit these concepts and add to them in some way, but I haven't quite figured out how yet.

Hope this helps!

Amy

It's hard to make the leap into logic skills because of the dirty little secret: you can buy all the books and programs you want, but it comes down to discussion with a more mature mind to lead them through the skills.

Have you read The Trivium by Sister Miriam Joseph? That's an excellent book, and it will help you make the leaps into both logic and rhetoric. Also, the logic chapter in WTM, the entire WEM, and How to Read a Book. Your dc will read many of them in hgih school, but if you read them now, you can start leading them into logic level discussion.

That said, 6th grade is a bit early for all this. Dante is best saved for high school, imho. There is no rush. The gifted program has to prove itself and impress parents, but you can actually do what is best for your child. :001_smile: The outlining, the writing program... these are excellent foundations. Don't skip that. But at the same time, you can begin establishing logic skills. Have conversations about how things compare and contrast, how things fit together, etc.

Yes: read aloud together; discuss together. That's how to develop connections and deep-thinking skills -- practice. It sounds like you are looking for something that does it all for you -- but to think, you have to DO it. Be willing to use bits and pieces, to glean, from all kinds of resources to give you "starting points". Realize not every single question will yield fruitful discussion or thinking -- at first, maybe 1 in 20 questions. Keep at it! Practice! Learn the "tools" of analysis -- for science, for literature. Incorporate a logic program and critical thinking materials to develop those "thinking muscles". Do it together! And have FUN at it -- this is not about finding "the one right answer" -- it's about figuring our what YOU see, and what examples can you use to support your contention. No one program is going to do that for you.

Below are some ideas. BEST of luck as you begin this new stage of home education -- and ENYOY thinking and discussing together! It just gets better and better! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

family movie night once a week

Make it informal and fun -- don't overdo; stop when conversation reaches a natural lull. Discuss the movie after; mention parts you liked/disliked -- and WHY. Ask questions: Why did the characters do what they did? Could they have chosen differently -- why or why not? What would you have done -- the same/different? Do you see similarities between what happened, or in type of characters in the movie and in other movies -- or books -- or real life?

Do lots of science experiments

Experiment -- go "off the program", and truly experiment -- What will happen if we do this? Why did that happen when we did that? How could we create this/move that/etc.? Watch Mythbusters (learn how they problem-solve); use ideas from Developing Critical Thinking Through Science, the Sciencewise Books (gr. 4-6) (gr. 7-8), other books and/or kits, etc.

Move from memorizing dates and learning History facts to "Asking Questions"

Whatever you read for History -- ask questions: WHY did that area of the world keep having a series of battles and conquerors (was it the geography made it defensible? a natural crossroads?) What similarities/differences do you see between various famous dictators/powerful leaders throughout time? Why did written language develop here and not there? Why was that nation so isolationist -- and what results did that lead to?

The Well Trained Mind

Here is what SWB says elsewhere on this website about the Logic stage and how to develop thinking (the "Handouts" section, "Academic Excellence for grades 5-8", under the subheading of "Reading") -- basically, read, talk, write. And in that linked information, she lists lots of great "starter" questions for discussion. The first 4 chapters of her Well Educated Mind have great questions, too.

Socratic Questioning

Use the Socratic method of questioning to jump-start discussion. Here is an in-depth article to help understand the value of in-depth philosophical discussion with kids. Here is a website on teaching thinking skills with a great list of Socratic questions you could print off and keep handy.

Use the Help of Guides

Glean! Use the parts that DO work for you -- toss that which doesn't. Lit. guides often have great background material on the author/times to help you make connections between Historical time and the themes in the author's work -- plus lots of discussion questions to springboard you into connections, comparisons, deeper thinking. Sparknotes and Cliffs Notes (high school/college) and Glencoe Literature Library (middle school/high school) are free; Garlic Press Publishers' challenger level Discovering Literature guides are VERY meaty and helpful. The Great Books guides are Christian Worldview Discussions (Q&A format) to guide you through discussion of Classic Literature. And for History, consider going ahead getting something like Omnibus or Tapestry of Grace, even if you won't use it all and they are "too in-depth" -- glean from them, and just use their questions on History!

Learn Tools of Analysis/Thinking

You might find Teaching the Classics a helpful tool for you right now, and later for high-school aged-children for thinking about/discussion literature; it is based on the Socratic Method. (See Cathy Duffy's review here, and see samples here.)

How about going over Figuratively Speaking (gr. 5-8), the gr. 5-6 and gr. 7-8 Story Elements books, or Prose and Poetry (gr. 7+) with your student -- teaches you the "tools" of literary elements that you will look for in literature which support and lead to understanding themes and deeper questions in the work of Literature.

Lit. programs such as Hewitt's LL7 and LL8, IEW's Windows to the World, and Excellence in Literature's Intro to Literature are great 1-year programs to hold you hand and guide you into working with literature; literary elements; and literary analysis and discussion.

Develop Critical Thinking and Logic Skills

Enjoy 1-2 pages of various resources as a morning "brain warm-up" together for learning to make connections, think outside-the-box, problem-solve -- all very necessary skills for analysis:

books: gr. 5-8 critical thinking/beginning logic:

- 1. Logic Countdown (gr. 3-4) / 2. Logic Liftoff (gr. 4-5) / 3. Orbiting with Logic (gr. 5-7)

- Mindbenders

- Dr. Funster Think-A-Minutes (gr. 3-6)

- Dr. Funster's Creative Thinking Puzzlers (gr. 3-6)

- Critical Thinking Activities in Pattern, Image, Logic (gr. 4-6) and (gr. 7-12)-- by Seymour

- 10-Minute Critical-Thinking Activities for English (gr. 5-12) -- by Eaton; Walch Pub.

gr. 7-9 beginning logic books:

- Art of Argument (Larson/Hodge)

- Fallacy Detective; Thinking Toolbox (Bluedorn)

games:

- Mastermind

- Amazing Labrynth

- 221 B. Baker Street

- Checkers

- Chess

- Boggle

- Scrabble

- Quarto

- Tetrus

- Risk

- other strategy computer/board games

download/print puzzle pages:

- crosswords, word jumbles, anagrams

- codes, cryptograms

- sudoku puzzles

read mysteries:

- minute mystery books by Conrad, Sobol, Weber, and others

Edited by Lori D.
added info and links

PS -- Just wanted to add: this is where you, the parent/teacher, have to move from the mindset of teaching facts and checking off boxes of skills accomplished / books read / workbooks completed (grammar stage) -- to the mindset of exploration and discovery; learning how to formulate questions and looking for answers together. And also, to let go of the idea that there is always only one right answer or only one right way to get to the answer.

You have to start "casting your net wider" from fact-learning to wondering why and how. Don't be hard on yourself! Give yourself time. This is a difficult skill (as an adult!) to develop in ourselves, to then be able to encourage in our children. The rewards are great!

And if you can find a local mentor, or join a good book club for yourself, you may find it really helps you develop your own thinking/discussing skills and makes it easier to do so with your DC. :)

In case it helps, here are two past threads from the high school board that show that process of discovery and discussion amongst parents:

Sir Gawain And The Green Knight -- Need Help Please

Jane Eyre and boys

Wishing you all the BEST in your new journey of discovery! Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS -- Just wanted to add: this is where you, the parent/teacher, have to move from the mindset of teaching facts and checking off boxes of skills accomplished / books read / workbooks completed (grammar stage) -- to the mindset of exploration and discovery; learning how to formulate questions and looking for answers together. And also, to let go of the idea that there is always only one right answer or only one right way to get to the answer.

Lori, Karen, Angela, and others have really said it all when it comes to making the move to teaching a logic stage student. You and your student will both be better served if you are interested in what you are teaching your student. It is easy to think that if you have the" right" combination of materials and resources, you will be able to do the best job for your student. In hindsight, I don't believe that anymore. Some of my best teaching has occurred when I have studied a limited amount of materials, come up with a few questions of my own and brought them to the table when my son and I discussed our studies.

There numerous resources to teach from for this age. The choices are both exciting and overwhelming at times. I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes you can spend more effort and time on putting together the perfect curriculum list than actually engaging with your student. The "stuff" can distract you from being present with your student, watching the direction their mind is going in, and reveling in the connections they are making. The connections will develop with active dialogue and genuine curiosity on your part. My otherwise savvy youngest falls for my starting a conversation with, "You know, I always wondered how the Romans..." Demonstrate the exploration and curiosity mindset for your student. You really don't need a curriculum to show you how to do this.

Edited by swimmermom3

I'm choosing coordinating lit books, but don't really know what to do with them, other than read them.

I tried TOG last yr to help with this, but we like to use a spine and TOG felt disjointed. I'm not a fan of some lit guides because they beat the book to death. I do have Teaching the Classics here and I'm about to watch it. I'm also debating on doing portions of LL7/BJU Lit 7 (which I have) because they seem to be more hand-holding on lit analysis. Are there resources I am missing to help me teach logic stage?

Better yet, how are you helping your logic stage students to critically think through their history, lit, and Bible rather than just reading it?

...the list of socratic questions at the back of your Teaching the Classics? You can use them with any lit book you want, instead of a lit guide. Also, WTM has a list of questions that can be used with your lit selections. Maybe try a mix: do some books with the socratic questions and then do a couple of books with lit guides (omitting parts that make it overkill)?

Lori, Karen, Angela, and others have really said it all when it comes to making the move to teaching a logic stage student. You and your student will both be better served if you are interested in what you are teaching your student. It is easy to think that if you have the" right" combination of materials and resources, you will be able to do the best job for your student. In hindsight, I don't believe that anymore. Some of my best teaching has occurred when I have studied a limited amount of materials, come up with a few questions of my own and brought them to the table when my son and I discussed our studies.

There numerous resources to teach from for this age. The choices are both exciting and overwhelming at times. I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes you can spend more effort and time on putting together the perfect curriculum list than actually engaging with your student. The "stuff" can distract you from being present with your student, watching the direction their mind is going in, and reveling in the connections they are making. The connections will develop with active dialogue and genuine curiosity on your part. My otherwise savvy youngest falls for my starting a conversation with, "You know, I always wondered how the Romans..." Demonstrate the exploration and curiosity mindset for your student. You really don't need a curriculum to show you how to do this.

Well said Lisa.

It is easy to think that if you have the" right" combination of materials and resources, you will be able to do the best job for your student. In hindsight, I don't believe that anymore. Some of my best teaching has occurred when I have studied a limited amount of materials, come up with a few questions of my own and brought them to the table when my son and I discussed our studies.

:iagree: Lisa. This is my experience as well. My preparation, what I refer to as prelection, is what brings depth to my kids' education.

You and your student will both be better served if you are interested in what you are teaching your student. It is easy to think that if you have the" right" combination of materials and resources, you will be able to do the best job for your student. In hindsight, I don't believe that anymore. Some of my best teaching has occurred when I have studied a limited amount of materials, come up with a few questions of my own and brought them to the table when my son and I discussed our studies.

My preparation, what I refer to as prelection, is what brings depth to my kids' education.

I have been pondering this. My problem is time and energy. I don't know how you can do this, 8FillTheHeart, with all of your children. My DD is hitting 7th this year and my oldest son is in 5th. I also have twins going into 4th and a DS going into 1st. How do I spend the time needed with my DD, who is half-way through the logic stage(but barely doing logic stage work), and my DS who is just starting the logic stage. My DS who is going into 1st needs a lot of attention from me to make sure his reading and math skills really take off this year. I also have to add in the twins somewhere.

Please help me understand how to go about helping my logic stage children make these connections in the most efficient way, as far as my time goes.

Edited by Roxy Roller

Time and energy is my problem too, and I only have two dc! I am a very hands-on teacher. But with my younger ds really needing a lot more of my time than older dd does, I just can't be learning it all along with her. Would love to-that's my teaching style, but it's just not practical. Not in every subject for both kids anyway-I have to pick and choose the areas where I sit alongside them every minute.

And the learning curve of how to teach is prbly because it's my first student...I do notice teaching things to my younger is so much easier, after having done it already with the older.

BTW, MOH2 is better than I thought-they have extra research scheduled for each chapter, and I'm finding I can use those to help me. For instance, in one of the chapters on China they ask them to read a primary source of a sad Chinese woman's poem from that time period (it's in the appendix) and then research how women were treated then in China, and then find Scriptures for how Jesus treated women. I figure this will make a nice little compare/contrast essay! And that's exactly the kind of connections and Scriptural tie-ins I want.

They also have the student (in the same section or another on China) research Buddhism and they give some questions for guiding the research, including leading questions on how it compares to Christianity. I figure I can have her do the research and then we can discuss. I wouldn't have thought to do that. So these type of things are providing a nice jumping off point. Not to mention, the MOH readings themselves provide a good bit of tying in of topics. I'm really happy with it.

I did look at WTM again and copied down the lit questions, AND also the questions to have them ask about primary sources, which I had forgotten were in there! So thank you! And I do think Teaching the Classics will help a lot.

Very helpful ideas here...thank you!

My DD is entering 5th grade and up to this point we have not done much discussion, but for this year, I have scheduled it into our day 15 min after science, 15 min after history, and a whole lit period every other week. Our schedule is loose, so it is fine if we go over time, it will just mean a longer day. I hope that by scheduling it in, it won't get overlooked.

Time and energy is my problem too, and I only have two dc! I am a very hands-on teacher. But with my younger ds really needing a lot more of my time than older dd does, I just can't be learning it all along with her. Would love to-that's my teaching style, but it's just not practical. Not in every subject for both kids anyway-I have to pick and choose the areas where I sit alongside them every minute.

And the learning curve of how to teach is prbly because it's my first student...I do notice teaching things to my younger is so much easier, after having done it already with the older.

BTW, MOH2 is better than I thought-they have extra research scheduled for each chapter, and I'm finding I can use those to help me. For instance, in one of the chapters on China they ask them to read a primary source of a sad Chinese woman's poem from that time period (it's in the appendix) and then research how women were treated then in China, and then find Scriptures for how Jesus treated women. I figure this will make a nice little compare/contrast essay! And that's exactly the kind of connections and Scriptural tie-ins I want.

They also have the student (in the same section or another on China) research Buddhism and they give some questions for guiding the research, including leading questions on how it compares to Christianity. I figure I can have her do the research and then we can discuss. I wouldn't have thought to do that. So these type of things are providing a nice jumping off point. Not to mention, the MOH readings themselves provide a good bit of tying in of topics. I'm really happy with it.

I did look at WTM again and copied down the lit questions, AND also the questions to have them ask about primary sources, which I had forgotten were in there! So thank you! And I do think Teaching the Classics will help a lot.

Now see, I think you have done the hard part already. I started homeschooling with a 4th grader and I have taught 4th-8th grade and 12th grade...sort of.:tongue_smilie: The idea of teaching a little body to read terrifies the heck out of me and you are an old pro. Shoot. The logic stage really is going to be a piece of cake for you, except for the part when they turn into hormonal half-wits. Logic stage students for the most part are really delighted with themselves as they begin to make connections and they aren't old enough to be jaded yet.

If I am not sure about what we are doing and how the pacing is going to work, I will start the year a bit more slowly. We'll do the everyday stuff that I have a handle on like math, Spanish, grammar and vocab for the first week along with whatever subject I totally tweaked the heck out of that really needs a trial run. We add in the other subjects over the next two weeks.

As for teaching more than one child at a time, I have only taught two full time at most so 8FilltheHeart and MommyFaithe would be way more helpful. For two, I did not find it difficult to stay up with their materials as I read at the speed of light and have strong preview and research skills.

Happy Grace, I have read a fair number of your posts. You are bright and thoughtful. You will get this and I bet you will do a great job at it. :001_smile:

I have been pondering this. My problem is time and energy. I don't know how you can do this, 8FillTheHeart, with all of your children. My DD is hitting 7th this year and my oldest son is in 5th. I also have twins going into 4th and a DS going into 1st. How do I spend the time needed with my DD, who is half-way through the logic stage(but barely doing logic stage work), and my DS who is just starting the logic stage. My DS who is going into 1st needs a lot of attention from me to make sure his reading and math skills really take off this year. I also have to add in the twins somewhere.

Please help me understand how to go about helping my logic stage children make these connections in the most efficient way, as far as my time goes.

We started back to school yesterday (completely on impulse. we weren't scheduled to start back for a few weeks). I wish I could answer your question more thoughtfully.

It really does not that much time to prep. I skim their materials as I write their plans. In their planners I write down areas I want to discuss with them and topics I want them to research in greater depth. (I wrote a longer post some time ago on this forum. If you search for prelection you might be able to find it....it is more the answer I want to give you.)

I do not sit with each of my children all day long. Who can when they are teaching multiple children. Every family needs to come up with a system that works for them.

Here is what we do:

My 10th grader and 7th grader and I all get up at 5. I just finsihed 2 1/2 hrs of one-on-one time with them. (I taught math, grammar, spellling (my 10th grader is my horrid speller that will do spelling w/me until he graduates!), history, and discussed some of yesterday's work. I am finished working with my 7th grader for the day. Everything else she does on her own w/follow-up tomorrow.

My 19th mo just woke up and I am nursing her while I type. In just a minute, I'll feed her breakfast and then she and I and my 10th grader will go walking. He is my walking partner and we will more discussion while we walk. After our walk, he and I will be pretty much finished for the day.

While I am walking, my 4th grader (who just woke up as well) will read silently. After my walk and shower, I will spend the next few hrs working with her.

When I add my 6 yod into the mix (she isn't going to start school until our dil and granddaughter go home in the next few weeks---if you missed our saga, my ds and his wife came for a visit our first week of summer vacation in early May. Our dil went into pre-term labor and delivered here at 28 weeks. We have been living in utter chaos for weeks! But, our granddaughter is doing fantastic, is now at our house after weeks in the NICU, and blessings abound!) oh.....back to my 6 yod.....I will work with her while the toddler is napping. She has the most "hands-on" activities and they are the ones that the toddler is going to want to get into vs. sitting beside an older child with books, white board, and discussion.

Anyway, that is how. My prelection is my biggest preparation responsibility. It is what keeps me connected to exactly what I want to see achieved out of lessons/discussions.

FWIW, I do fewer topics and more discussion vs. covering a lot of material focused on the surface.

Another FWIW......the 5 am time is not my preference! It is what I have learned I have to do w/my older kids whenever we hit toddlerhood. If I didn't have a little one that requires constant attention and causes a lot of disruption, I would work later in the day. Walking and discussing with my 15 yos is a way of double duty. I need to walk 3 miles a day for my sanity, she is confined and with me, and we can get some great discussions done!

Just wanted to encourage that just like everything else, you'll both grow into the Logic Stage. You put in the practice and one day you'll go, "Wow. That was a great discussion." and you'll smile b/c you'll remember this post! It comes. And like another poster said, you are thoughtful, caring and dedicated to this journey. You'll make a way!

We started back to school yesterday (completely on impulse. we weren't scheduled to start back for a few weeks). I wish I could answer your question more thoughtfully.

It really does not that much time to prep. I skim their materials as I write their plans. In their planners I write down areas I want to discuss with them and topics I want them to research in greater depth. (I wrote a longer post some time ago on this forum. If you search for prelection you might be able to find it....it is more the answer I want to give you.)

I do not sit with each of my children all day long. Who can when they are teaching multiple children. Every family needs to come up with a system that works for them.

Here is what we do:

My 10th grader and 7th grader and I all get up at 5. I just finsihed 2 1/2 hrs of one-on-one time with them. (I taught math, grammar, spellling (my 10th grader is my horrid speller that will do spelling w/me until he graduates!), history, and discussed some of yesterday's work. I am finished working with my 7th grader for the day. Everything else she does on her own w/follow-up tomorrow.

My 19th mo just woke up and I am nursing her while I type. In just a minute, I'll feed her breakfast and then she and I and my 10th grader will go walking. He is my walking partner and we will more discussion while we walk. After our walk, he and I will be pretty much finished for the day.

While I am walking, my 4th grader (who just woke up as well) will read silently. After my walk and shower, I will spend the next few hrs working with her.

When I add my 6 yod into the mix (she isn't going to start school until our dil and granddaughter go home in the next few weeks---if you missed our saga, my ds and his wife came for a visit our first week of summer vacation in early May. Our dil went into pre-term labor and delivered here at 28 weeks. We have been living in utter chaos for weeks! But, our granddaughter is doing fantastic, is now at our house after weeks in the NICU, and blessings abound!) oh.....back to my 6 yod.....I will work with her while the toddler is napping. She has the most "hands-on" activities and they are the ones that the toddler is going to want to get into vs. sitting beside an older child with books, white board, and discussion.

Anyway, that is how. My prelection is my biggest preparation responsibility. It is what keeps me connected to exactly what I want to see achieved out of lessons/discussions.

FWIW, I do fewer topics and more discussion vs. covering a lot of material focused on the surface.

Another FWIW......the 5 am time is not my preference! It is what I have learned I have to do w/my older kids whenever we hit toddlerhood. If I didn't have a little one that requires constant attention and causes a lot of disruption, I would work later in the day. Walking and discussing with my 15 yos is a way of double duty. I need to walk 3 miles a day for my sanity, she is confined and with me, and we can get some great discussions done!

You lost me at "get up at 5" :lol:

Here is what we do:

Wow, 8, I still am amazed at all that you accomplish, especially with the added excitement of a very 'new' granddaughter.

I am a morning person, but I do not think that I could get moving by 5am, although my husband gets up by 4:30am to get ready for work. I do have a couple of kids that like to get up early, and usually have all of the work that they can do themselves finished before breakfast. Maybe I need to capitalize on this by getting up earlier and doing my one on one time with them then, as opposed to later...hmmm, I will have to consider that.

A couple of questions...do you do your prelection planning before the school year begins, monthly, weekly, or daily? And if you have time, could you elaborate on this statement - 'fewer topics and more discussion vs. covering a lot of material focused on the surface'.

I guess what it boils down to for me is giving my children the best education I can, working with my limitations, while protecting my sanity. I have met a lot of homeschooling parents who seem to 'check out' when their children hit high school, because they are 'burnt out'. In my experience, they either put their children into public/private school, or turn their entire education over to online teachers or tutors. (I am not talking about a class here and there, as I can see that it might be beneficial to have a few online/outside classes.) Although I fully realize that some people have those plans all along, I have a real desire and calling to educate my children right through high school. I am just trying to figure out how to go about it.

A couple of questions...do you do your prelection planning before the school year begins, monthly, weekly, or daily? And if you have time, could you elaborate on this statement - 'fewer topics and more discussion vs. covering a lot of material focused on the surface'.

I guess what it boils down to for me is giving my children the best education I can, working with my limitations, while protecting my sanity. I have met a lot of homeschooling parents who seem to 'check out' when their children hit high school, because they are 'burnt out'. In my experience, they either put their children into public/private school, or turn their entire education over to online teachers or tutors. (I am not talking about a class here and there, as I can see that it might be beneficial to have a few online/outside classes.) Although I fully realize that some people have those plans all along, I have a real desire and calling to educate my children right through high school. I am just trying to figure out how to go about it.

HappyGrace, I am glad that I am not the only one that feels that time and energy are huge obstacles we have to try to figure out how to overcome.

Let me address the last quote first. I'm exhausted most of the time. And, time seems to vaporize before my eyes. But, it is b/c I **am** exhausted and I can't manage my time as easily as when I was younger that getting up earlier is actually less stressing. Chasing a 19 mo when you are 45 especially when the toddler doesn't sleep through the night.......let's just say that I can't multi-task as well as I used to and that teaching in the quiet is going to be worth the early morning b/c ultimately is requires less energy to be expended. (we had another wonderful school day again today.)

As far as prelection, I normally spend all summer looking through their materials to get a general gist of what I want accomplished and then focus in detail when I write their plans. I write plans about every 6-8 weeks. I typically take a week off and then write the next set of plans.

This summer b/c of everything that happened, I didn't get to spend as much time as I normally do. I only did a very cursory overview and just focused on our 8 week plans instead. I'm hoping once our household returns to some sort of normalcy (2 of my little girls haven't had their bedroom for 11 weeks now) that I will have time to look further ahead in greater depth. We'll see.

I am more comfortable with some of the materials than others. When I made the spontaneous decision to start back to school Sunday night, I decided at that moment to switch my fourth grader in Voyages in English for the yr. I taught to my older kids through 8th grade, so it is a no-think option for me b/c I already know exactly where it is going.

Honestly, like Tina pointed out, knowing what you are doing or at least being comfortable with what you are doing is more than 1/2 the battle. Once you know how to teach, the what is actually much easier.

And Roxanne, homeschooling during high school can feel like you are the last man standing. Finding homeschoolers with the same end goals as ours has been incredibly difficult. I have a few precious friends that share similar views and I thank the Lord for bringing them into my life.

ETA: I meant to mention up in the part about being exhausted that I am feeling an immense relief that my sr is going to a classical college for her sr yr vs. homeschooling. Not having to teach her this yr is huge burden lifted. The opportunity is amazing for her. The college focuses on writing and philosophy for most of their freshman courses. I had already purchased 2 philosophy courses for her to complete here b/c that is what she wanted to study. (she already has enough high school credits to graduate anyway.) It is really, really small (only 80 students), yet I am impressed by what they study. She will be in her element and having an international experience on top of it. She begged us to let her go. But I would not be being honest if I didn't feel that it was actually good for me as well now that we have made the decision to let her.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I have been drinking in this thread. My oldest is entering Gr. 7 but I haven't done a great job in the discussing and connection-making dep't. I am a thinker not a discusser. It is so hard for me to link the two together. My goal for this year is to focus more on the discussing.

8--thank you for your posts in this thread. You have introduced me to the idea of prelection and I have been reading more about it in the last few weeks but it was hard for me to flesh it all out. You have done a bit of that for me in this thread. Again, thank you. :001_smile:

Let me address the last quote first. I'm exhausted most of the time. And, time seems to vaporize before my eyes. But, it is b/c I **am** exhausted and I can't manage my time as easily as when I was younger that getting up earlier is actually less stressing. Chasing a 19 mo when you are 45 especially when the toddler doesn't sleep through the night.......let's just say that I can't multi-task as well as I used to and that teaching in the quiet is going to be worth the early morning b/c ultimately is requires less energy to be expended. (we had another wonderful school day again today.)

As far as prelection, I normally spend all summer looking through their materials to get a general gist of what I want accomplished and then focus in detail when I write their plans. I write plans about every 6-8 weeks. I typically take a week off and then write the next set of plans.

I had planned on spending the summer doing exactly as 8filltheart describes. But the basement finishing was 3months behind schedule which meant I've spent time moving all of our HS stuff into the basement, 3 floor to ceiling bookcases, furniture hear and there, cleaning up after construction, sorting out the dining room (filled w/ stuff from the basement while it was being finished). I feel like summer is over. I'm actually considering not starting school until Oct 1st so I can get my planning done. We will have 2 weeks of school (by district calendar) and then the boys are away all day for a week at a archaeology camp (definitely history, PE, logic all in one), then we're on vacation for 1.5weeks (cheaper to do it when everyone else is back in school) so there's quite a break there. Maybe starting in October isn't such a bad idea.

For about a month???? I've been waking up about 5-6am....for the past few weeks I've pushed it closer to 5am. It's been very nice. I can get my one hour of Insanity in, shower, do house chores all by 7:30am. I used to not get up until 7:30am. My days are running much smoother w/ the earlier wake up. And I'm finding that I still go to bed about the same time although I can't read for about 30min-1hr like I used to.

I'm hoping this earlier wake time for me will help us have a smoother year if I can just get my planning done. I started today. My friend took my kids for 3.5hrs so I could focus in the peace and quiet.

I had planned on spending the summer doing exactly as 8filltheart describes. But the basement finishing was 3months behind schedule which meant I've spent time moving all of our HS stuff into the basement, 3 floor to ceiling bookcases, furniture hear and there, cleaning up after construction, sorting out the dining room (filled w/ stuff from the basement while it was being finished). I feel like summer is over. I'm actually considering not starting school until Oct 1st so I can get my planning done. We will have 2 weeks of school (by district calendar) and then the boys are away all day for a week at a archaeology camp (definitely history, PE, logic all in one), then we're on vacation for 1.5weeks (cheaper to do it when everyone else is back in school) so there's quite a break there. Maybe starting in October isn't such a bad idea.

For about a month???? I've been waking up about 5-6am....for the past few weeks I've pushed it closer to 5am. It's been very nice. I can get my one hour of Insanity in, shower, do house chores all by 7:30am. I used to not get up until 7:30am. My days are running much smoother w/ the earlier wake up. And I'm finding that I still go to bed about the same time although I can't read for about 30min-1hr like I used to.

I'm hoping this earlier wake time for me will help us have a smoother year if I can just get my planning done. I started today. My friend took my kids for 3.5hrs so I could focus in the peace and quiet.

:iagree: It makes a world of differene when I'm up and done before the kids even rise. That's my plan for this year. With evening classwork for myself, it seems like the only way to survive.

I want to thank everyone for the great discussion (and the personal encouragement! :))

I appreciated everyone's thoughts. I also enjoyed reading about prelection. I guess this is kind of what I do; it is just at a much deeper level now for logic stage.

This quote from 8Fill was a lightbulb moment: "FWIW, I do fewer topics and more discussion vs. covering a lot of material focused on the surface."

I already realized there is NOT enough time to cover it all in depth. I realized that.....and had a ton planned but was only going to try to cover part of it in depth.

BUT between reading that quote and then the prelection article that 8Fill links in another thread that addressed multum (a few things done thoroughly), not multa (many things)--shades of LCC--I see that I need to ALSO cut back on *how much* we're trying to attempt in order to allow the TIME to go in depth in a quality way (including allowing for my planning time.)

(Here is the prelection link from 8Fill: http://school.jhssac.org/faculty/che..._EDUCATION.pdf)

This was really helpful for me to see how it can be done w/out getting so overwhelmed. For instance, after mulling it over, while planning one of our history weeks today, I made some changes. I cut out the historical fiction book we were going to read one week and the map we were going to do in order to allow time to DISCUSS because I really liked a couple primary sources I found; one of them by John of Salisbury discusses Middle Age govt as a body with the prince at the head, etc. I thought wow, we can run with that-discuss how it relates with the Scriptural principle of the Church as the body with Christ as the head, and did the author on purpose make it to be similar to that, and if so, why? Also go into the whole tension throughout the Middle Ages between govt and church AND THEN into how that relates to today, discuss the verse "Render unto Caesar..." etc.

So instead of trying to read everything AND discuss, I'm cutting back and cutting out areas and instead allowing time for that focused discussion.

BTW, I have to say this loud and clear and I hope it helps someone...I started plugging in selections today from the primary source book I mentioned in the OP, and I think primary sources will be a HUGE help in leading off discussions that I would not have known to start. For instance, there is an account in there from an Aztec about the Cortes invasion of Mexico, and one of from a Sultan boastfully explaining the Christians' defeat by the Ottoman Turks, etc. I think just looking at these primary sources that show "the other guy's" perspective will go a long way in opening up our minds to critically think through historical events. And that is exactly what I want for logic stage history, specifically.

Oh, and I am thinking about the 5 a.m. idea. But not thinking too hard :D

Edited by HappyGrace

I see that I need to ALSO cut back on *how much* we're trying to attempt in order to allow the TIME to go in depth in a quality way (including allowing for my planning time.)

This was really helpful for me to see how it can be done w/out getting so overwhelmed. For instance, after mulling it over, while planning one of our history weeks today, I made some changes. I cut out the historical fiction book we were going to read one week and the map we were going to do in order to allow time to DISCUSS because I really liked a couple primary sources I found; one of them by John of Salisbury discusses Middle Age govt as a body with the prince at the head, etc. I thought wow, we can run with that-discuss how it relates with the Scriptural principle of the Church as the body with Christ as the head, and did the author on purpose make it to be similar to that, and if so, why? Also go into the whole tension throughout the Middle Ages between govt and church AND THEN into how that relates to today, discuss the verse "Render unto Caesar..." etc.

So instead of trying to read everything AND discuss, I'm cutting back and cutting out areas and instead allowing time for that focused discussion.

BTW, I have to say this loud and clear and I hope it helps someone...I started plugging in selections today from the primary source book I mentioned in the OP, and I think primary sources will be a HUGE help in leading off discussions that I would not have known to start. For instance, there is an account in there from an Aztec about the Cortes invasion of Mexico, and one of from a Sultan boastfully explaining the Christians' defeat by the Ottoman Turks, etc. I think just looking at these primary sources that show "the other guy's" perspective will go a long way in opening up our minds to critically think through historical events. And that is exactly what I want for logic stage history, specifically.

HappyGrace...How do we find the confidence to do what I have bolded at the beginning of your post? I am talking about those of us who are at the beginning of the logic stage with our first child.

I love your ideas about how to go about planning, but I lack the confidence at this point to pull it off. I know that by the time my next ones come up to the logic stage, I will have gained that confidence, but right now I second guess myself constantly.

Your example about comparing the prince and the body to the Church and Christ as the head is fabulous, but I would 'feel' like I was floundering if I tried to discuss this with my DD11.

We are doing Middle Ages, Renaissance and Reformation, too, and I am about to start my planning as well. I have also come to the conclusion that as much as my DC love the historical fiction we have done, maybe it needs to be cut back, so we can focus on the history itself. Just considering the amount of planning this is going to take is making my head hurt!:tongue_smilie:It also makes me procrastinate.

HappyGrace...do you have your plans for next year posted anywhere? I would love to see what else you are planning on doing.

I felt the same way last year for 6th grade and found some things to help. First, I stumbled across this website:

http://www.studentsfriend.com/onhist/frame.html

The discussion here of conceptual frameworks for history was very helpful to me. I worked through the definitions of invention, diffusion, organization, power, freedom, and disintegration with my DS. I found a graphic organizer chart that I liked and we put each concept on one. Then as we discussed events in history, he would add examples of each of these concepts to his charts.

This is not a perfect response to the need to make connections or think more deeply about history, but it's a start, and works well for a 6th grader. For 7th grade I may revisit these concepts and add to them in some way, but I haven't quite figured out how yet.

Hope this helps!

Amy

Thank you for the link, Amy...I have just spent some time on that website and there are some really great ideas.

Happy Grace, what are you using for the PRimary Sources?

I have been perusing the internet for Medieval, Renaissance and Reformation primary sources and I came across this site - http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook.asp and this site - http://lib.colostate.edu/research/history/medievalhist.html?vm=r. They look like a good place to look for primary sources online.

Edited by Roxy Roller
Added content

Good morning!

Capt_Uhura-the link to the prim. sources is in the original post on this thread. I like it because it has a little intro and then a short source, and vocab definitions off to the side. It also lists the date so it's easy to plug in with any curriculum. The intro really helps to give the setting for the source. They have other time periods avail.

Roxy-I realized the stuff I am cutting out isn't really necessary anyway. I was talking to a df the other day who has dc in college after hs'ing and she said history actually isn't *that* important in the scheme of things for college prep. Classical ed really makes it the centerpiece but it doesn't really necessarily have to be. That and some other threads I've read that I printed out from a long time ago helped me. They were threads about what is important in logic stage, and it's things like notetaking, writing, study skills, critical thinking, etc. So what I've been realizing these last few days of mulling it over is that while history is important and necessary, I don't have to have her read EVERY book listed in every reading list (SL, TOG, VP, etc) Rather, the history could be used as a VEHICLE to drive teaching the skills that are necessary in logic stage that I listed above.

I'm still not full of confidence, but I'm praying to be led and given wisdom. I really felt that that "body of Church, etc" example that I gave was given to me by the Lord as I was planning. Now, I have no idea how the actual discussion may go; it may be a dud, but I'm going to try it and I think it may be one of those things that you just have to jump in and try and then you eventually get better at it (which we perfectionist types hate-lol!)

You can always "book basket" the historical fiction for your dc to read on their own time.

I am basically using Biblioplan (with MOH-it's scheduled in there) and then adding in Monks and Mystics, etc. (I decided to add that in since it's a better use of our time in getting across the info I feel is important rather than scheduling a bunch of historical fiction.) In the car we'll listen to the Diana Waring CDs (loved these last yr), and also SOTW (this is really for my little guy but it helps her too.)

I am doing a ton ahead of time though-going through every one of the listed activities in MOH and deciding which ones I want to use and how. For instance, some of the topics they have I am not having her research like they say; they will be used as discussion topics for us instead. And right on the BP schedule I'm plugging in the primary sources where they belong, putting the correct white Kingfisher sections for outlining that go with the topic, etc. I think that this pre-planning will make my weeks very "pick up and go" as each week comes up. Where I want to have discussions, I am putting in general notes for myself with pertinent Bible verses, etc. (For instance, I was reading through the Google books sample of Omnibus II and found some Bible references for "church and state" that I want to include, etc.) I am not "scheduling" a ton of these discussion ahead; I do feel that MOH does more good analysis than I had thought. So I think more will come up as we go and I'll just have to learn to be flexible and go with it. (hard for me; thus my issues with logic stage.)

But that's just history. I have SEVEN other subjects I need to teach-lol. Times TWO, if you count my other child! I'm trying to remember-history is the gravy; our focus this yr is math and writing. And to use history as the vehicle to teach logic stage SKILLS and Biblical principles. That is helping me narrow it down to a better focus.

I decided that rather than going with a ton of lit with the time period, we'll do BJU lit 7. I don't think I could pull together the time period lit very well w/out lit guides and so on and there are none I really like. I am going to choose about THREE to do this year along with the time period, and there is another thread of mine about this recently where people were very helpful (Sparksnotes, etc.) But again, have to cut OUT doing all the lit I'd *like* to do, so that I can do the ones that I am choosing with better quality, and that will hopefully give me more time to include more discussion/analysis, which is what I want.

I'm still trying to think of other ways to incorporate critical thinking, etc, across curriculum. I do know we're adding a lot more word probs in math, etc.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that I am looking at things like Kay Arthur's Precepts for dd to make Bible more analytical with better application and deeper study.

Originally Posted by HappyGrace

I see that I need to ALSO cut back on *how much* we're trying to attempt in order to allow the TIME to go in depth in a quality way (including allowing for my planning time.)

HappyGrace...How do we find the confidence to do what I have bolded at the beginning of your post? I am talking about those of us who are at the beginning of the logic stage with our first child.

I love your ideas about how to go about planning, but I lack the confidence at this point to pull it off. I know that by the time my next ones come up to the logic stage, I will have gained that confidence, but right now I second guess myself constantly.

Your example about comparing the prince and the body to the Church and Christ as the head is fabulous, but I would 'feel' like I was floundering if I tried to discuss this with my DD11.

We are doing Middle Ages, Renaissance and Reformation, too, and I am about to start my planning as well. I have also come to the conclusion that as much as my DC love the historical fiction we have done, maybe it needs to be cut back, so we can focus on the history itself. Just considering the amount of planning this is going to take is making my head hurt!:tongue_smilie:It also makes me procrastinate.

HappyGrace...do you have your plans for next year posted anywhere? I would love to see what else you are planning on doing.

Originally Posted by HappyGrace

Roxy-I realized the stuff I am cutting out isn't really necessary anyway. I was talking to a df the other day who has dc in college after hs'ing and she said history actually isn't *that* important in the scheme of things for college prep. Classical ed really makes it the centerpiece but it doesn't really necessarily have to be. That and some other threads I've read that I printed out from a long time ago helped me. They were threads about what is important in logic stage, and it's things like notetaking, writing, study skills, critical thinking, etc. So what I've been realizing these last few days of mulling it over is that while history is important and necessary, I don't have to have her read EVERY book listed in every reading list (SL, TOG, VP, etc) Rather, the history could be used as a VEHICLE to drive teaching the skills that are necessary in logic stage that I listed above.

Roxy,

The above is exactly it! For me, I like to think of things in semesters now. Instead of having a long list with logic every 2 days for the next 2 years, why not logic for a semester and literary analysis for a semester. Spend that first semester reading great lit. and talking about it, but spend the second one making sure you know the terms and application of the "behind the scenes". Pick a skill you want to improve and use teaching as the tool to hone in on the skill....one writing skill at a time; one critical thinking skill at a time....it no longer takes a student an entire year to master b/c their minds are working differently than they did in elementary school. It's like the learning curve is now on a roller coaster compared to elementary school. That's why learning skills is so important in jr. high. They now have to learn and apply the "how to use what I learned in grammar school." So, I'd encourage you to pick a skill and focus on that one skill daily in school, just use a variety of subjects to practice it.

Here's what I mean: we focus on one "history elective" at a time. Instead of answering questions (on paper) for history, lit, arts & activities, and church history, we'll always do the history, but we'll choose one area to focus on for a period of time (quarter, semester). We always read everything, but we apply skills practice in different places to keep the world interesting and the workload reasonable. My high schoolers, for example, read the philosophy each week, but that's it. When we get around to year 1 of TOG, they'll actually complete the philosophy elective. Read now. Study later.

In other words, expecting a Jr. high student to do an outline and summary of every single book read or every "class" covered is a bit much. They need to practice, but you don't have to make them practice all skills, in all classes, every day.

As an example, since we use TOG, I have them do Accountability and Thinking Questions (how many varies upon ability and experience). In junior high, they will takes notes (sometimes as an outline, sometimes just notes) for their reading so they can answer their questions; however, they won't have to write a summary about the same books b/c the questions handle that. In science though, there are no designed questions on most days, so they have to outline then summarize. They are practicing important skills in different places, instead of practicing the same skills everywhere. The hope is, by high school/college they have the ability and speed to outline, note take, summarize, and answer questions for all their classes ---- but in jr. high, they don't need to do everything; they need to do everything well when they do it (which they grow into). The thing I learned the hard way: Jr. High is not High School and I couldn't expect them to jump right into it. They had to grow into it.

If you pick the skills you want them to master by the end of jr. high and assign a logical progression to attain those skills, you can apply them in ANY subject area. This gives you the chance to drop all the "programs" and focus on the skill within the context of what you must do b/c you can't drop science or history. Does that make sense. So, they're already writing paragraphs...now let them write about lit/sci/hist and polish that writing through that source. Polish their understanding through discussions now, not rote practice.

I talk too much and I'm not sure if I'm making sense. I sure hope so. Trust the board folks. I have learned SO MUCH...but mostly what I said above is worth repeating, Jr. High is not High School and I couldn't expect them to jump right into it. They had to grow into it. Once you get to high school, they still have to grow into it! You'll get there...and you're right, you'll be more confident the second time around!

Happy Grace wrote: Roxy-I realized the stuff I am cutting out isn't really necessary anyway. I was talking to a df the other day who has dc in college after hs'ing and she said history actually isn't *that* important in the scheme of things for college prep....They were threads about what is important in logic stage, and it's things like notetaking, writing, study skills, critical thinking, etc.........

Roxy,

Pick a skill you want to improve and use teaching as the tool to hone in on the skill....one writing skill at a time; one critical thinking skill at a time..

Exactly! All the posts fretting about finding the perfect science/history curriculum are missing the bigger picture. The curriculum is not as important as what you do with what they are learning.

I would rather have my students read in-depth on fewer topics and learn to synthesize that information into a few page report than read about multiple topics that skim the surface and focus on memorizing key-terms. Why? B/c synthesizing information means my children have had to process large amts of detailed information and extract the important parts to focus on. Textbooks remove that step. The authors of the textbooks have done the synthesizing and highlighted the key informat

Edited by 8FillTheHeart