Menu

Do you ever just get away from the house with the kids

so you can focus on them and not all the work around you? These days I'm feeling like my only words to them are prefaced with "Would you" or "Please do" or "No, you can't" or... Ugh! I feel like I'm turning into my gramma who raised me. She was so irritable about all that she had to do and never seemed happy and I used to hate that.

Sigh. We need a break! Any ideas for me?

I hope it's okay that I post here, but that same thing happens to me sometimes. The mess and dishes and everything will just distract me so much I have to leave in order to get any school work finished. So we pack up the important stuff and head to Panera. There we get water and cookies and spend an hour or two working. We don't do it often enough for it to be routine and it ends up good for all of us.

We school in Bertucci's fairly often (Italian chain). We head in for a late lunch, and break out the books after the crowd has left. The staff have madevit clear we are welcome, and many would come and sit nearby to wrap silverware so they could listen in when we were working through Children's Homer and our history lessons!

We are always careful though, to not occupy a booth unless there are many available in our server's area, and to leave a VERY generous tip for staying so long at a service table.

We schooled at Chick Fil A earlier this summer. It was great! We need to do it again sometime soon. We sat in the back, got lemonades, and worked for a little while. Then the kids ran to play in the play area for about 15 minutes. Then we did a few more subjects and the kids ran off to play while I ordered lunch. After lunch we schooled the last bit, the kids ran off to play, and we went home.

They thought it was the best school day ever!

I have many very little ones and am due within a week with my sixth so we don't do a lot of traipsing around outside (I do send them out to play in our yard) but yes, I find going on a drive each day helps me a lot. One of my friends who also has many young children gave me that tip- she goes on a drive with the kids, gets a soda at a drive-through (and maybe a snack for the kids) and just drives for 30 minutes or so. It is too hot to play outside or go to a park at any other time than early morning or later in the evening, it is also too hard at this point for me to get everyone buckled/unbuckled and keep track of them at a park or something so the drive works better for us for now.

YES! Some days, it's just SO beautiful outside we just have to BE outside!! DS and I are both extroverts, so we like being in the hustle & bustle. I only have one child so far, so it's easy getting outta the house.

We have gone mostly to local parks, but every now and then... the library, IKEA, our gym, Port Discovery, the Science Center, coffee shop, etc.

One time last year (It was one of those GORGEOUS Fall days!!) we each packed up a backpack with school stuff and drove to the Metro station and took a train down to the National Mall. We walked through parts of the museum of the American Indian and did schoolwork in the library they have there. We took a break for lunch in the (AWESOME) cafeteria, went back to the library area and finished school. We saw a few more things on the way out and walked down to the Smithsonian metro stop, but I let DS ride the carousel first, and took the train home with the rest of the commuters.

BEST. SCHOOL. DAY. EVER. (Not to mention the longest day ever, LOL!)

We're studying American History this year and will studying about the Indians during the Fall, so I'll definitely be doing that again :)