Menu

What to do near I-5, Sacramento to P-land

We already know about the science museum in P-land, and the wonderful children's museum in Medford, and don't want side travel like Crater Lake. Those of you in N. Calif or OR have any bright ideas? Physical activity a plus, like water parks, etc.

Thanks. The boys enjoyed the Rogue River, Taptaptap!

The Cal State Railroad museum in Old Town Sac. I remember loving it as a kid!

Wildlife Safari Winstin Oregon- drive through animal refuge, animals walk right up to the car!

Enchanted Forest Turner, Oregon Mini Theme park based on nursery rhymes for the littles, roller coasters and other rides for bigger kids.

Those are off the top of my head, but I know I'll think of more!

Wildlife Safari

The Oregon Zoo

Enchanted Forest(cheesy but fun)near Salem

OMSI

Washington Park, and the Rose Garden(Portland)

We love park hopping because they are free, and my kids love playgrounds. I'm not sure what the ages of your kids are though.

Silver Falls in Silverton Or is a beautiful hike with lots of waterfalls! It is about an hour from 1-5 east of Salem.

There is also The Gilbert House children's museum, and the Portland Children's Museum. The Portland Children's Museum shares a parking lot with the Oregon Zoo and the World Forestry Center. It is near the rose garden and Washington Park as well.

Silver Falls in Silverton Or is a beautiful hike with lots of waterfalls! It is about an hour from 1-5 east of Salem.

Yes Silver Falls is really neat. There are also some great hiking trails out the North Umpqua Highway, but you said no off trails like Crater Lake. Crater Lake is much farther out the same road. I also remember going to a neat old ghost town between Grants Pass, and Canyonville when I was a kid. I can not remember what it was called though.

Here are a few that came to mind that hadn't been mentioned yet:

Noah's Ark in Winston

Check out the Oregon history opportunities in Salem, etc.

Evergreen Air Museum just opened a new water park in McMinville, Or (not on the I-5 corridor though)

Champoeg State Park

Fort Vancouver

Bullwinkles

T

We love Whiskytown Park. There are many cool hiking trails and swimming in Brandycreek is nice on a hot day. We know of several families who have season passes to the waterpark in Redding. Another thought is that you can detour by way of Mt Lassen and drive through the park. It is probably our favorite national park. There are several short hikes and fun stuff for the kids to do. My daughter climbed to the top of it last year. Nothing like saying you climbed a mountain. We did a different trail since my sis was pregnant and couldn't go about 10,000 ft. You will also drive right by Mt Shasta. We love to drive up to the top parking lot and let our kids climb around or do some hiking. The forest service said it will probably be another 2 weeks before the road is open all the way. Our kids had fun paying in the snow last weekend. Turtle Bay in Redding is nice for younger kids.

Heather

I second Turtle Bay in Redding. My kids LOVE it there. My mom is an hour or so south of it and last time we visited, we drove up twice in the same week. They had a geo-caching thing to rent and it led you through the exploration center and the arboretum.

We also enjoyed Bidwell Mansion, I am so sad they are closing it down. If you do swing by Chico, my kids LOVED the giant pool in Bidwell Park.

Lets see...hiking to Burney Falls and there is a Water Park in Redding but I do not remember its name.

There are caves at Lake Shasta.

Are you coming down to the Giant Redwoods? Garberville and surroundings with the huge drive-through tree may be fun if you like this kind of stuff.

Someone already mentioned Turtle Bay Museum in Redding. Once you are in SAC, there is the zoo, the train museum, old town SAC. Are you interested in riding an old train? Google "Skunk Train." I think we boarded it in Fort Bragg and it takes you south from there. Fun ride.

Edited by Liz CA

:lol:The "giant pool" is called One Mile. If you get to Chico (a little east of Interstate 5) One Mile is worth a visit. There is also Caper's Acre and Bidwell Mansion where John and Annie Bidwell lived. They were contemporaries of Sutter/Marshall and the gang of the Bear Flag Revolt.

I don't think the children's museum in Medford would be that great of a choice for a 9 year old. Try ScienceWorks in Ashland instead. (It pales in comparison to OMSI, but it's still very fun!). While in Ashland, watch a play at the Shakespeare festival... go to Lithia Park... take a day (or half-day) rafting trip down the Rogue river.

The Farwood Bar & Grill in Orland, CA. It's about 1 mile off I-5. I hear the lady who does all the desserts there does a great job! ;) ;) ;)

ETA: The special dessert right now is Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Pie. :drool5:

Edited by Julie in CA

Another thought is that you can detour by way of Mt Lassen and drive through the park. It is probably our favorite national park. There are several short hikes and fun stuff for the kids to do. My daughter climbed to the top of it last year. Nothing like saying you climbed a mountain. We did a different trail since my sis was pregnant and couldn't go about 10,000 ft. You will also drive right by Mt Shasta. We love to drive up to the top parking lot and let our kids climb around or do some hiking. The forest service said it will probably be another 2 weeks before the road is open all the way.

Yes, we were in Old Station last weekend and major parts of the park are still closed due to snow, including the summit hike. You can get into parts of it still though. And if you're out that way check out the Subway caves and Burney Falls.

Redding Area--you can check out Turtle Bay Exploration Park and the Sundial bridge (which is especially cool at night, especially right now with all the orb-spinner spiders out). Shasta Caverns are supposed to pretty neat to see (caves with tons of stalactites and stalagmites). There is Waterworks park, Whiskeytown lake, or Lake Shasta. If they go out to Bridge Bay Resort (about 10 miles N of Redding on the 5), they have boats and jet skis for rent.

You've gotten a lot of suggestions for Sacramento. There isn't much between Sac and Redding on I-5, except well . . . I-5 :)

Are you interested in riding an old train? Google "Skunk Train." I think we boarded it in Fort Bragg and it takes you south from there. Fun ride.
The Skunk Train runs from Fort Bragg to Willits. Fort Bragg is quite a ways from Sacramento and I-5 though. My brother and SIL lived in that area for a while, and as I recall, it was a good 2 hours from I-5 and the drive was narrow and windy. Edited by LemonPie

I Try ScienceWorks in Ashland instead.

That's what I meant!

Thanks for the ideas. It will be 102 in REdding when they are there, and honestly, neither are the least bit used to heat. I'm hoping the durned car will hold up, as it has never been stressed before!

I'm busy googling locations and hours, and will print it all out and give it to the boys when they drop me off at the Sacramento airport. Thanks! 3000 heads are better than one!