Menu

Art of Argument Schedule/Plan?

I just got The Art of Argument and now I'm trying to figure out how to schedule it out for the school year. It isn't as clear to me as it should be, though that might be because I've been scheduling so many things that I'm dreaming calendars and page numbers. :001_smile: Anyway, does anyone have a sample schedule to share?

I decided that DD and I would do this and the first two Critical Thinking in US History books in a discussion format for logic this year. I took the Art of Argument book and divided the pages into segments that I think we can do in about 20 minutes or so. Here's the assignment list I came up with. We'll do 2-3 of these lessons a week. HTH

Edited by Narrow Gate Academy
link didn't work

I didn't know about The Art of Argument until now. It is exactly what we've been thinking about for our 13 yo ds. My husband will do this with him this year...perfect!

Another great resource found, thanks to all of you! :hurray:

Thank you,

Pam

I decided that DD and I would do this and the first two Critical Thinking in US History books in a discussion format for logic this year. I took the Art of Argument book and divided the pages into segments that I think we can do in about 20 minutes or so. Here's the assignment list I came up with. We'll do 2-3 of these lessons a week. HTH

Nifty! Thank you.

I don't know if you were dreaming but if you find out anything about it, please post!

I swear I read it somewhere! Google search is not helping me much, but did turn out a

put up yesterday, suggestively labeled "DVD Sample". I will keep my eyes open and let you know if I hear anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you!

Are others doing this twice a week or three times? I was planning on twice for about 30 min. Any other schedules?

We are doing it twice a week, about one fallacy per session,or one review, or what not. I did actually figure out how many pages we have to do per week,and then actually flipped through the whole thing page by page and made lesson plans. We are doing it over the whole year though, give or take.

I just made the schedule for Art of Argument this week. I am spending one day per week on it as that is all I have to give it. Too many fallacies, reviews and tests to do one fallacy a week. So, I broke them up into "like" groups.

Then I assigned many research projects I made/will make up for homework. For example, for bifurcation, she will need to find an example from a recent news cast or political speech/blog post showing an example of that in use. For false cause, I plan to have her find an example of that in nutrition/vitamin study results.

Actually "I" will find several examples, and she will have to choose which is the correct example and give a report on why.

Sure! I got the idea from the chapter "what is logic?" Further research 2 has the student finding examples of non-argumentative persuasion in newspapers, magazines. I added radio and tv. She was supposed to write a blog post on it. But, we ran out of time. I had to prioritize other lessons. So, we just discussed them.

My plan is to assign the project the week before the lesson so that she can think about how to break it into small steps. Then not have it due for a couple of weeks. So, obviously, not every fallacy gets a project.

I will say, politics and congress come up A LOT! :glare:

I will just make a new thread each time I have a project to "propose." I don't want to have to track this thread down.

Chez J - that's a wonderful idea! If you care to share the examples you find, I'd be more than happy to take them. :lol:

Ditto! I really like the look of the dvd, but have to admit that I feel a bit inadequate to the task of finding the correct real-world examples. I don't know if I can add this in this year, but it's very tempting.