Menu

Motivated Moms Chore list

I wish I was better at housekeeping. :( I know what the issue is. I was hoping MM would help but I feel discouraged instead.

If you use this when do you build in general pick-up times? How did you build them in? Or did it just start to occur naturally by doing the plan. Someone on here said it works really well if it is followed.

I love that it lists things that I wouldn't remember but we have a general slopiness issue. So for example, it says to dust my room. Well, I have to clear the surfaces to get to that point. :blush: So when you first started, is that when you did that type of stuff or did you just do the best and move on?

I plan to assign some of the chores to the kids. They are already doing such a wonderful job with their chores. I'm very proud of the progress we have made in that area. They help clean the kitchen and do the laundry! But we need still need to step it up a bit!!! It helps that we have a vision that we aren't going to be the type of people who are always in "CHAOS" (can't have anyone over syndrome from Flylady). They understood and I have been rewarding them by allowing friends to come over!

I totally understand. Our homes sound similar. I like motivated moms, but it is difficult work until you get things going in the right direction. The Friday "quick pick-up in each room of the house" just makes me laugh. I have used it for years and found that when I do it my house looks great, when I don't do it things get pretty bad.

I think that the first month is the hardest because you are having to fight things that haven't been done in a while. I am just getting back to it after about six months off. So today it took me forever to vacuum the main living areas of the house because I had to actually straighten things up before I could get to the carpet. Because that took so long I was unable to get to the master bedroom dusting. When it comes up again, I will have to clean the whole bedroom that day. When it says to clean bathroom sink, I had to clean the whole counter. Its tough those first few weeks, but now it will take me 15 seconds to clean the sink and about 1 minute to clean the toilet. So, I will have more time to spend on other areas.

Right now I have everything under control except the bedrooms and I am giving myself some time on that. Good luck.

What is the "issue"? (you don't have to answer that here). Does it need to be addressed before moving on to cleaning house?

In my case, I seem to have a strange addiction to the internet and this board. It doesn't matter what cleaning method I use, so long as I have that addiction, my house cleaning will suffer.

I hear you on the Motivated Moms. I bought that once (if it really was MM that I'm thinking about and not some completely different program) when I only had one child and there wasn't much he could to do help out and my goodness. I saw that list and wanted to run the other way. Lately I've learned the real blessing (and frustration and annoyance and inevitability) of baby steps. Pick X number of things to do every day. Even if they're the easiest things. Even if you have to count clearing off the dresser when it says "dust the dresser" instead. Who cares if it's actually written on the list or just easy things on the list? If you reach X number of items and want to keep going, pick something else. If you reach X and want to stop, pat yourself on the back and tell yourself how good you are for getting it done. And if you don't get to X, no guilt! Tomorrow is another day and another chance to get it done.

What is the "issue"? (you don't have to answer that here). Does it need to be addressed before moving on to cleaning house?

In my case, I seem to have a strange addiction to the internet and this board. It doesn't matter what cleaning method I use, so long as I have that addiction, my house cleaning will suffer.

No that isn't my issue at all.

:leaving:

:lol:

I am working on it. It really goes in spurts.

Thank you for your helpful answers.

I like this one that I found. It has daily tasks, special weekly tasks, and decluttering projects each month. I joined the site, but I haven't received emails or anything. I have to check the site each day if I want to follow it.

I've been working on my own list of things to do daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 months, and twice a year. I'm trying to develop a check-off system to make sure it gets done, but I haven't quite figured it out yet.

I use the Motivated Moms list, but I have to admit that I've probably never crossed every single thing off of it in a single day yet.

But it does keep me on track. Doing most of it most days means the house stays fairly nice.

And the other part is having clear surfaces, like you said. I'm doing a slow, thorough decluttering of the house, and the further I get on that project, the easier it is to check more things off of the MM list each day. Less pick-up means easier clean-up.

I like this one that I found. It has daily tasks, special weekly tasks, and decluttering projects each month. I joined the site, but I haven't received emails or anything. I have to check the site each day if I want to follow it.

I've been working on my own list of things to do daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 months, and twice a year. I'm trying to develop a check-off system to make sure it gets done, but I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Wow! I really like this!

You have to pay for the MM to tell you what to clean when?? I would get the Emilie Barnes book, More Hours in My Day, or use the list a pp linked. My issue is that I am seven months pregnant, have two children at home five and under, am currently babysitting my neighbor's 6yo (only two more days, PRAISE JESUS!!) and my house is WAYYYY bigger than we need. I can keep it "picked up", I just need to dust, mop, clean baseboards, etc. I want to downsize, but cannot right now.

You have to pay for the MM to tell you what to clean when?? I would get the Emilie Barnes book, More Hours in My Day, or use the list a pp linked. My issue is that I am seven months pregnant, have two children at home five and under, am currently babysitting my neighbor's 6yo (only two more days, PRAISE JESUS!!) and my house is WAYYYY bigger than we need. I can keep it "picked up", I just need to dust, mop, clean baseboards, etc. I want to downsize, but cannot right now.

The free list looks great. I already bought MM a few days ago. The book costs more than MM. It's $4 right now.

I have a shelf full of home organization/cleaning books. I have read through every one of them too. (and there in lies my other "issue" I mentioned above. Reading!) My favorite is "The House that Cleans Itself." Apparently just reading the book didn't make that magically happen.

I just need a big kick in the bottom. :D

You have to pay for the MM to tell you what to clean when?? I

I just got the free app. :001_smile:

Beyond that, the best list in the world still doesn't DO the housework for you. I did everything on the list today and it was over an hour. And I'm starting from reasonably clean. And the result was a reasonably cleaner, but not spotless, house. Laundry and dishes caught up. Clean toilets, but not showers. Girls rooms picked up, etc.... 1 room that is the "keep the door closed to guests" room. Back patio that needs a good cleanup. Etc....

If I had to go back further, and kind of start from scratch and assume the kids rooms are pitted out, clean laundry is piled high, etc.... not that MY house EVER gets like that....:leaving:

**I would start by getting laundry caught up and the kitchen cleaned. Even if I ignored any list for days. Those are areas that require constant upkeep, so you need to start clean. Dishes done, pantry and fridge quickly cleaned out of old leftovers, etc.... I would skip any deep cleaning, like light fixtures and baseboards, but get it functionally clean. For other cleaning, just try to keep the floor picked up. Trash cleared. Toys put back in rooms. Laundry in baskets.

**Then, following the list for kitchen and laundry...I would spend as many days as it took to get the kids rooms clean. Maybe this is just toys put up, maybe it requires a purge. But, get their rooms functional. At this point, I'm swishing toilets that need it. Doing any other obviously bad spots, but not doing routine maintenance on tubs, floors, microwave. Extra energy goes towards the really bad spots.

**I would follow the list for kitchen, laundry, and kid's rooms and tackle any other really bad public spots. The guest bedroom that's collecting stuff and will require a week of sorting? Not yet, unless I have guests coming. The schoolroom that's not ready for August? Not yet, but soon. I want to get all of our living areas functional.

**That covers my living areas, but the theory could be carried on. Now, keep working on the list to work on the routine maintenance of keeping the house up. Start working, in spurts on the school room/guest room project.

Edited by snickelfritz

Completely new to Motivated Moms...like 2 days new. :001_smile: I took those blank lines over on the daily list and fill in the extra things(I use the weekly one-page list and hang it on the fridge). We pick up the house twice a day...we always have done this. I put in those slots "pick up in the a.m." in one and "pick up in the afternoon" in another. Someone suggested highlighting with colors for each child. I put that one as an a chore we all do together.

I do like Motivated Moms. I think it is so cool that it has everything covered that needs to be covered, but if I had my choice, there would be more ability to fine-tune. Is there a way to make changes within the document?

What free app?

Dawn

PS: Never mind. I think I found it.

I also found a calendar called "Iperiod" which tracks periods.....seriously? They couldn't have given it a different name of some sort?

Beyond that, the best list in the world still doesn't DO the housework for you. I did everything on the list today and it was over an hour. And I'm starting from reasonably clean. And the result was a reasonably cleaner, but not spotless, house. Laundry and dishes caught up. Clean toilets, but not showers. Girls rooms picked up, etc.... 1 room that is the "keep the door closed to guests" room. Back patio that needs a good cleanup. Etc....

If I had to go back further, and kind of start from scratch and assume the kids rooms are pitted out, clean laundry is piled high, etc.... not that MY house EVER gets like that....:leaving:

**I would start by getting laundry caught up and the kitchen cleaned. Even if I ignored any list for days. Those are areas that require constant upkeep, so you need to start clean. Dishes done, pantry and fridge quickly cleaned out of old leftovers, etc.... I would skip any deep cleaning, like light fixtures and baseboards, but get it functionally clean. For other cleaning, just try to keep the floor picked up. Trash cleared. Toys put back in rooms. Laundry in baskets.

**Then, following the list for kitchen and laundry...I would spend as many days as it took to get the kids rooms clean. Maybe this is just toys put up, maybe it requires a purge. But, get their rooms functional. At this point, I'm swishing toilets that need it. Doing any other obviously bad spots, but not doing routine maintenance on tubs, floors, microwave. Extra energy goes towards the really bad spots.

**I would follow the list for kitchen, laundry, and kid's rooms and tackle any other really bad public spots. The guest bedroom that's collecting stuff and will require a week of sorting? Not yet, unless I have guests coming. The schoolroom that's not ready for August? Not yet, but soon. I want to get all of our living areas functional.

**That covers my living areas, but the theory could be carried on. Now, keep working on the list to work on the routine maintenance of keeping the house up. Start working, in spurts on the school room/guest room project.

Edited by DawnM

....horrible at finishing.

I did 'Fly Lady" a few years back. I took several days (and hours) to come up with my own daily, weekly, monthly chore lists. I printed them all out and put them in a binder (in page protectors). It was BEAUTIFUL....and it sat on my shelf. :lol:

I tried to follow it, but forgot about it most days when the 'real' stuff came along like diapers, doctor appts., sick kids, school, etc. I love planning. My husband told me the other day, "You spend more time planning for homeschooling than homeschooling". OUCH!!! (I've been trying to plan our 36 weeks for each subject before the school year actually begins).

Like right now, I am sitting here on the forum, after facebooking and checking email, and I told my kids we were going to start cleaning at 8am (which was 56 minutes ago). SIGH. I think overall my biggest issue is prioritizing. I come up with great plans (just look at my binder lol) but have a horrible time implementing them. Sigh. I'm like the dogs in UP..."SQUIRREL!"

<snip>

**Then, following the list for kitchen and laundry...I would spend as many days as it took to get the kids rooms clean. Maybe this is just toys put .

Thank you! That was helpful! Fortunately, the laundry and kitchen are under control (for now) and the public areas are in good shape too. It's the bedrooms and paperwork that have a tendency to spin out of control. I try very hard to always focus on laundry and kitchen duties because the function of the home revolves around those tasks being done. I can still make dinner even if there are toys all over my DS's room!

The good news is that I have a smaller house (it's big enough for our family but not nearly as big as many of our friends!). But that can be bad too because sometimes I have stuff that doesn't have a home. :glare: I've been working on that since we moved in January.

Maybe I can make you feel better! :)

Each neighborhood we lived in (over 6) we lived next to the craziest clean freaks..one neighbor mopped her kitchen floors 3x a day and even STEAMED them clean because it killed more germs??? I hated to even walk in her home, I felt she was checking my steps to make sure no residue was left.

I have three teens now, I can honestly say, just do your laundry, get your floors mopped once a week (once every two on crazy months), vacuum once to twice a week and keep your kitchen sink and toilets cleaned...start small..make that your goal to maintain those...by the times your kids are all over the ages of 6, you'll find you have more time to dust the house once a month, pick the weeds outside, make the beds more often, organize the toy room so that at least 4x a year everything is in its place.

Then, when they're all over the age of 10 you realize that if you work together spending 1 hour a day on picking up, bathroom checks, floor sweeps, dusting, laundry days, windexing the windows, blowing out the garage, mulching the flower beds...it becomes manageable and fairly neat!!

Then when they're all over 16, you'll most likely never have those little hands messing up the clutter, you'll wonder where all the clutter went..

When they're all gone, you'll have about 5-10 years before grandkids come..so for those 5 -10 years you'll have an immaculate home..but miss the clutter...so don't knock yourself for it, just do what you can and be satisfied! :)

....horrible at finishing.

I did 'Fly Lady" a few years back. I took several days (and hours) to come up with my own daily, weekly, monthly chore lists. I printed them all out and put them in a binder (in page protectors). It was BEAUTIFUL....and it sat on my shelf. :lol:

Like right now, I am sitting here on the forum, after facebooking and checking email, and I told my kids we were going to start cleaning at 8am (which was 56 minutes ago). SIGH. I think overall my biggest issue is prioritizing. I come up with great plans (just look at my binder lol) but have a horrible time implementing them. Sigh. I'm like the dogs in UP..."SQUIRREL!"

This is me exactly ... :tongue_smilie: