Menu

Is it too soon? (Maturing and dd8)

I went to look at it, and dd11 saw what I was looking at. She said, "Mom, that book's weird!" I asked why, and she said two of her friends have it, and it shows too much and they thought it was weird.

So that's from 1 10yo and 2 11yo's FWIW. :)

I'm guessing that 8 is a good time, before they think it's "weird"! ;)

I might be a good time. I do not recall when I started, but I am glad I started when I did as DD got her first 5 days after her 11th birthday. She was completely prepared. I did not get mine until 13 so I did not expect that at all.

I don't think it is ever too soon for the basic information presented in that book with the exception of the eating disorders. I really wish they would leave a discussion of eating disorders OUT of books about normal healthy development.

Pegasus

I have the book, but I haven't shared it with my dd yet. She turned 8 a few weeks ago and I don't think she is ready yet. She hasn't lost any baby teeth yet and she is very unsure about that right now. I don't think now would be a good time to mention any other changes.

If you think your dd is ready then go ahead, but if you have doubts then hold off for a few months.

Jan

I highly recommend that book- everything you want (need) to know about puberty, without preachyness. We're Christian, but I found every Christian based puberty book to be just nausea inducing. Blech. PiedPiper wanted the facts, and just the facts.

I liked the eating disorders portion, since we are involved in gymnastics believe me it DOES start at 9/10. Too important to just brush off, IMO.

It covered stuff I hadn't necessarily thought of, too, like oily skin or hair, etc. Really, a great book.

I got it for DD and we went out to dinner and talked about it when she was 9. She was starting to develop though, so that is why. 8 isn't too early if this stuff applies to your DD or you suspect it may soon. I wish we could have waited, but...thats life.

Is it too soon for this?

The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library) by Valorie Schaefer

or the perfect time?

I don't know . . . Didn't she just turn eight? Or is about to . . . ? I would wait until ten for a puberty book, unless it had come up in some way. How many years does a human being have before they have to worry that they smell? I say, let 'em enjoy it as long as they can!

On the other hand, we waited until ten to give DSS10 a puberty book and gosh do I wish that child would worry more about how he smells. But I understand boys are less sensitive to this stuff than girls.

My opinion would have to be - depends on your child :) Is your daughter starting to ask questions, is she around a group of peers that might tell her things you would rather be first to impart to her? I like the idea of waiting as long as possible to broach many "maturing" issues - and must admit that my 9yo still is ignorant/innocent in most areas (thankfully!). But that is not always an option, and if you think it is helpful for your daughter to learn about some of these things, go for it. The problem is that puberty is such an unpredictable thing - my best friend started her period at age 8 - I on the other hand was 15 (and did not wear a training bra until 14!). So, I guess this is one of those areas you really have to make the call based on your child and your circumstances. Good luck and prayers as you make these decisions!

I don't think it is ever too soon for the basic information presented in that book with the exception of the eating disorders. I really wish they would leave a discussion of eating disorders OUT of books about normal healthy development.

Pegasus

:iagree: This part freaked out both of my daughters. My youngest was afraid she could "catch" anorexia. I took me a good while to convince her.

Mine turned 8 this spring--I have the book on my shelf, but I just can't bring myself to share it yet. I just want to give her one more year. She will be exposed to so much next year in public school, but I'm hoping that's not going to be an issue.

Dd does use deodorant after showers, so we have discussed some things. I just want to preserve some innocence, y'know?

It seems that pre-puberty catches a lot of parents off guard. I know I was surprised when my 8 yodd started having B.O. I think it is great that you are planning ahead. Maybe you could read the information and then share it with her in your own words as the opportunity presents itself.

Each child is so individual. I gauged my 2nd dd's development according to what I experienced with her older sister. She started her cycle a good year earlier. I hadn't talked to her and then one night I saw that she had hair. She is a very private girl and I was surprised. I felt prompted to talk to her about starting her cycle even though I thought she had another year or two to go. Guess what? She started the next day! Talk about being led by the spirit!!! He really does care about the little details. :)

I gave it to my oldest and my middle at 9yo. My youngest got it at 10yo, but she already knew pretty much everything in it since she'd watched two older sisters going through puberty.

I didn't start until 13yo, but my oldest started at 11y8m and my middle started at 12y4m. They both started other body development 6-8 months before starting their cycles.

I've been debating whether to go through this book with dd (9). I have the book and am waiting for just the right time. She definitely wasn't ready for it at age 8, although every girl is different. If her physical changes require getting the knowledge sooner, then I would go through it. My dd has made it clear that she isn't ready to grow up too fast, and I'm quite happy to oblige. I agree that they have so few years to be little girls so don't rush it. Right now, I think I'll introduce the book sometime in the next 6-12 months.

Well being a mom of 4 girls . Yes , 4 girls . And my oldest is 10 right now . To me puberty starts at age 7 , wether we realize it or not .

I remember my sweet 6 year old girl waking up 7 one day and it was not right . 10 is getting to be a bit challenging as far as hormonal swings and little 'boobie' buds .

I say 8 is a good start. I would use the book as a guide . Read it , and if she starts asking questions then bring out the book and start reading . I haven't bought any girl books . To us talking about that stuff is just natural . So I don't really see a need to get a book . We talk all about the changing body . And to me really there isn't any amount of reading that prepares you for 'aunt flo ' . It never did for me at least . But then I say use what works for you .

And these days with girls developing earlier and earlier because of hormones used in milk and meats the facts of life need to be talked about eariler then we'd like .

I really, really dislike it when books insinuate that talking to your parents about stuff is weird, or incomfortable, or just plain wrong.

When I went to see inside the book, it just bugged me to see the "letter" written by Growing Up that said...."I don't feel comfortable talking to my parents about it. I feel like it's too personal to talk to an adult about."

In just this one introductory paragraph, my kid would get the impression -- via peer pressure from a fictional character-- that they shouldn't come to me with certain issues. At least for our family, we're working on building bonds with our kids so that we can talk about anything. I feel like the book is basically contradicting a huge amount of work that I'm doing in my homeschool to build relationships with my kids so that we can talk about the nitty gritty of life, sin, temptation, wisdom, and choices, etc. from a Christian perspective.

Jessica, have you heard of the ministry Generations of Virture? Julie Hiramine, the founder, came to our homeschool convention last year and had just TONS of good information about how and when to introduce topics to your children at different stages and ages (click for mp3 of the talk she gave at convention). I don't think you'll find the exact kind of book that you have here with the American Girl one from amazon, but I thought I'd throw this out there for you as an alternative or additional resource. And, this ministry may not even mesh with your ideas of dating/courtship, etc., but after seeing all the resources they had in the vendor hall, I was impressed with the work that they are trying to do -- stressing purity of heart, mind, and body.

And, I apologize if the rest of the book is fine. Again, just this one little part totally got under my skin. Alright, off my tiny little soapbox. Sorry for the rant. Off to take a :chillpill:!

I got it for my dd8 this year after Christmas and she has been slowly reading through it. She has only read the parts about hygeine so far since she is so not a pick up the book and read it type person. I think I will assign it for her summer reading so that she will finish it. I was just 12 when I started but she is already having mood swings, but no visible changes yet.

I really, really dislike it when books insinuate that talking to your parents about stuff is weird, or incomfortable, or just plain wrong.

When I went to see inside the book, it just bugged me to see the "letter" written by Growing Up that said...."I don't feel comfortable talking to my parents about it. I feel like it's too personal to talk to an adult about."

In just this one introductory paragraph, my kid would get the impression -- via peer pressure from a fictional character-- that they shouldn't come to me with certain issues. At least for our family, we're working on building bonds with our kids so that we can talk about anything. I feel like the book is basically contradicting a huge amount of work that I'm doing in my homeschool to build relationships with my kids so that we can talk about the nitty gritty of life, sin, temptation, wisdom, and choices, etc. from a Christian perspective.

Jessica, have you heard of the ministry Generations of Virture? Julie Hiramine, the founder, came to our homeschool convention last year and had just TONS of good information about how and when to introduce topics to your children at different stages and ages (click for mp3 of the talk she gave at convention). I don't think you'll find the exact kind of book that you have here with the American Girl one from amazon, but I thought I'd throw this out there for you as an alternative or additional resource. And, this ministry may not even mesh with your ideas of dating/courtship, etc., but after seeing all the resources they had in the vendor hall, I was impressed with the work that they are trying to do -- stressing purity of heart, mind, and body.

And, I apologize if the rest of the book is fine. Again, just this one little part totally got under my skin. Alright, off my tiny little soapbox. Sorry for the rant. Off to take a :chillpill:!

Your concern about not feeling comfortable is exactly why I won't allow her to read certain books, especially the "Are you there God? It's me Margaret." She's starting to develop buds and she's starting to stink, lol. I cannot believe my baby girl has grown so fast. (Sniff, sniff) But I want her to feel understand the changes she's going through and know that I'm right there for her, and that it's normal.

I'll check out the links you provided, thank you for that too. I'll look at the book at a bookstore so I can preview it better than online, there might be other books available too. I want something to read together to provide a neutral zone so I don't chicken out or seem awkward.

She's already had a yeast infection/URI combination just last month, I think it's time even if she's not actively asking questions about all of it. I think she was embarrassed by the situation, not that she's showing any lingering signs, don't get me wrong.

I really appreciate the help

I got my period at 9, so I would definately recommend talking to your 8 year old! Of course, my mom never had "the talk" with me at all... luckily, I had read plenty of books on my own. Good thing, too!

It's not in my timing but God's and if it happened in the next year or so and I hadn't prepared her, my goodness. Of course I already knew a lot of stuff that she doesn't have a clue about at her age, which was enabled by a library card at school. :glare:

We're studying the human body this fall and I think it'd be a great way to ease into this. Thank you Kay for sharing this, it really validated my reasoning for even entertaining this idea now.