Menu

What's the easiest CURSIVE writing program to teach a 3rd grader.

You could just borrow a copy of Writing Road to Reading from your local library, if it's there, and teach your dd how to connect her manuscript writing. She'd have cursive writing down in no time.

Or if the library doesn't have it, you can buy it from Spalding Education International for around $20. Even if you only use it for the penmanship, it's a good deal.

If you are looking for looped cursive styles, I would suggest New American Cursive or D'nelian, because they have simplified cursive letters. The meerkat motif in NAC are supposed to make it fun for the child. (and I would agree, because my dd liked the cat motif in an Italic handwriting book we used.)

We also used Handwriting without Tears and my son did (still does) very well with it - he's 7 now, and we've completed the book but are continuing general cursive copywork twice a week.

When we first started, it was because he saw one of those little dry erase books in Walmart that was for cursive - he begged me to get it!! How could I turn that down?? I still write in cursive, myself, so I consider it very important. For the first 1/2 year or so, we just did practice tracing letters in that a couple times a week or whenever he asked...

BTW - I LOVE LOVE that I taught him cursive, as now I can write on the whiteboard in cursive!!! It is much quicker & easier for me to do that than printing it, and we have to write sentences on there a LOT! :)

Handwriting Without Tears -- basically hand the kid the workbook and say, "do a page or two a day, ok?" Done. :D

I really, really wanted to do a fancier loopier cursive style -- to be honest I find he vertical simple HWOT cursive plain -- but my eldest is a non-nonsense type and wanted the easiest cursive, so there ya go. I don't think you need the teacher's manual. She was teaching herself cursive by copying from letters her g'pa sent -- learning to read it first has made doing it a breeze BTW.

Her younger sis is more pretty pink pony girly, so she may choose a more ornate style. ;) I figure at that point her sister may decide to adopt some of the loops. I do show her some variations and let her pick her style. I think anymore cursive is more an issue of personal style, so another option is to show different styles to your dc and let her pick. :)

Edited by ChandlerMom

I didn't care for A Reason for Handwriting, as I didn't feel the teacher's manual was very clear on how to teach letter formation. Instead, we went with Zaner-Bloser and have been extremely pleased. I simply pull out a sheet from the workbook, look at the guide on the bottom, describe and show it to my ds, have him practice and then set him off on his own. My part takes just a minute or two; his takes about 15 minutes. Take a look at http://www.zaner-bloser.com/educator/products/handwriting/index.aspx?id=106. You can also use the links at the left of that page to view a sample on-line. We've used ZB since K and my ds is frequently complemented on his handwriting. Another thing I like about ZB is that they haven't charged me the $5 minimum shipping stated on their site, but instead have simply charged the actual cost of shipping, since I'm a homeschooler, not a public school.

I like Zaner Bloser 2C. There is no fluff, it is get in and get out. How to write the letter is simply shown with a desciption of the stroke(s) involved. I always demonstrated it first on the dry erase board which took a minute. Then there is a page where they trace it a few times then copy it a few, also how to connect it to other letters and the copy a few words or short sentence. It was a breeze.

You should first look at samples of the fonts to see what you like. I've done A Reason for Writing and Pentime. I'm going with Zaner-Bloser because I liked the font and the workbook pages seemed to give good descriptions on how to form the letters with adequate practice. I know alot of people like HWOT but I didn't like the font at all.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Pentime . My ds 7 loves it. It has cute , encouraging characters along the pages . Beautiful, traditional cursive . It's not the easiest way , but is self-teaching. I had A reason for writing & Cheerful Cursive and did not like them as much as I do Pentime. Not to mention it costs $5 !

HWT it's probably the easiest. But it does not look like a real cursive to me .:tongue_smilie:

After several attempts at Peterson Directed Handwriting, I gave up and switched my DD to Memoria Press' New American Cursive. The look of it makes me :ack2: and I did have to teach her a few of the capital letters on my own but she mastered it very quickly.