Menu

Do you call sherbet "sherbert"?

I say sherbet. I know many people who say sherbert.

When I was a has-to-prove-she's-right, perfectionistic, type-A 10-year-old I lugged a very large dictionary to church one Sunday to prove it to a classmate:lol:! Sherbert was not in my dictionary in 1991.

OK - Maybe this will answer the question:

From Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage 1994

Interesting blurb and quite diplomatic I might add - very non-commital. The etymology of the word suggests that sherbet is the correct spelling and pronunciation, but the acceptance of sherbert as early as the 17th century explains the confusion. I'd like a definitive answer - it would help me sleep better - but I suppose I will be satisfied knowing that, even though the vast majority of English speakers (including myself) pronounce it with an extra r (not in the original Turkish), we come by it honestly. :)

I have always pronounced it (and heard) "sherbert" with the second "r".

More importantly though, I had to say :tongue_smilie:because halfway through this thread I had to get up and make myself a dish of cherry-limeade sherbet; and I don't even eat sherbet usually. Gramps brings it as a treat for the kids! LOL!

I noticed the missing R as a kid; I thought it was just one of those words...probably French in origin, because you know...you never can tell w/ the French.

So here's a link to dictionary pronunciations: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sherbet. The American one is sherbIT. (I've never heard anyone say that!) But listen to the British one, too. There's the hint of the missing R in that one. So I bet that particular pronunciation is quite, quite old. :)

I say sherbet but grew up saying sherbert. I was an adult before I found out there was no second R. I guess I either never looked at the containers, or my eyes saw the second R because I thought it was there.

Whenever we had sherbeRt as kids, my mom would always say "Shoot the sherbert to me Herbert." It was as if she couldn't serve it without saying that. :D

I say sherbet but grew up saying sherbert. I was an adult before I found out there was no second R. I guess I either never looked at the containers, or my eyes saw the second R because I thought it was there.

Whenever we had sherbeRt as kids, my mom would always say "Shoot the sherbert to me Herbert." It was as if she couldn't serve it without saying that. :D

Love the sax and trombone solos - your mom sounds fun.:)

Yup. Normally I'm a stickler for correct pronunciation, grammar, that sort of thing (as I suppose most of us WTMers are ;)), but I've always pronounced it "sherbert", and never heard anyone pronounce it any other way. Interesting...

I just don't eat it so I can avoid making that decision. It kills me to mispronounce it but saying sherBET is just going to draw attention.

Oh and I noticed our local ice cream shop spells it "sherbert" now...

I was in early elementary school, maybe second grade, and the teacher gave us a long lesson on pronouncing "library", "nuclear", "government" and "sherbet".

So, no, I do not mispronounce them.

Did she include "jewelry" in that lesson? Does anyone else cringe when they hear people say JEW-lery?