Menu

Where can I buy a good juicer (w/o breaking the bank)?

I recommend the Jack LaLanne one. I'm watched that movie too, and I'm going to do what he did. I'll start with a goal of 10 days and see how it goes from there. I'm going on vacation tomorrow, so I'm planning on starting on Monday. Let's do it together!!

:001_smile:

I haven't watched it. But my husband watched it and has been talking about it quite a bit for the last few days. He, too, wants to buy a juicer and give this a try. He wants me to try it with him, but, I don't know if I could. I also don't know if it's REALLY healthy to just do that... I mean, what about protein and stuff? Is this really okay to do for days on end?

My husband and I just watched the movie on Netflix. It was very inspiring, especially the truck driver!!! Anyway, we went to the website and looked up the juicer he used. I think it was $499! There are cheaper models. I'm afraid for a lot of heavy juicing a good/expensive juicer would be necessary. It didn't look like they peeled the fruit or even took the cores out of the apples.

Hopefully someone who has done this will post a review of a juicer they have used personally!

Thanks for bringing this up!

Elise in NC

Hmmm... I have a Champion that just sits on my counter collecting dust...

Make sure you get one that doesn't heat the juice through the process. I believe the Jack LaLane one actually does. It's important because heat actually kills many of the nutrients.

I have used both the Jack LaLanne juicer and a really nice Breville juicer that I purchased at William Sonoma. In my opinion, they are night and day.

I personally find the Jack LaLanne juicer messier and harder to clean. It also doesn't hold as much juice as the Breville.

I broke down and purchased the Breville and LOVE it. It is so powerful, easy to clean, makes a decent size pitcher of juice.

The Jack LaLanne one I was using only made small amounts at a time (enough for one person)

If you know someone with a juicer, it would be great to be able to try it first.

For what it's worth, I also love the Vitamix blender (though not a juicer, it does pulvarize everything!) and you can also use it for much more.

I started a juicer thread last week: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292122

which prompted me to do my research. I will be getting the Green Star juicer. I know it's VERY expensive but this will be my second juicer and I want the best. I started to juice years ago and let me tell you, I felt FANTASTIC when I started my day with a juice packed in with tons of greens. I don't think I can do a juice fast because I'm hypoglycemic but I'm not going to stress about it. If I need to have protein/nuts, I will have them.

While there are a couple of juicers on the market that I'd be fine with, like the Champion or the Omega, I'm going to go with the Green Star because the double auger system is the best way to go. You get the most juice, by far, and studies show that the double auger method is the juice that will have the most nutrients/enzymes. I'm not concerned about buying a plastic one because my first juicer is plastic and nothing has ever happened to it. I've had it for YEARS, at least 15.

Clean-up isn't too bad. There are several youtube videos where you can watch the GS juicer being used and then the clean-up afterwards. The older models appear to be a pain, having to unscrew two sides to take the machine apart to clean, but he GS Elite, the one I think I'll be getting, has some areas that can be harder to clean. Still, a good brush will do wonders.

WIth the GS juicers I'm also thrilled that I can make sorbet, mochi, bread sticks, and I can buy an attachment for $60 which will make pasta. I'm SOLD! :001_smile:

Think of it this way. If you CAN afford to spend the $529, it will be well worth your money. Do your research on selecting the right juicer so that you can see how the double auger is the superior way to go. So while it will cost more up front, if you're getting more enzymes and more juice, maybe it will be worth it in the long run. If you can't afford that money up front, I think I'd go with an Omega or Champion, both of which cost around $300. I believe they are multi-purpose as well.

Shall we start a juicing group?

Hmmm... I have a Champion that just sits on my counter collecting dust...

Make sure you get one that doesn't heat the juice through the process. I believe the Jack LaLane one actually does. It's important because heat actually kills many of the nutrients.

this is VERY important!!! Let me go see if I can find the website that was extremely helpful to me. I will post if I do.

I really like my Breville. I got it from Bed, Bath & Beyond with a 20% coupon (you can find those coupons everywhere and they *never* expire).

Just remember, no matter what juicer you get, cleanup is kind of tedious. I save the little plastic veggie bags from the grocery and line the pulp disposer catcher with one whenever I juice. At least that part of the cleanup is easy, just toss the bag of gunk.

FWIW, I could not do more than 3 days in a row of juicing.

And if you need a pick-me-up, juice a beet. Instant energy! Just be very sure to put the juice catch basin and chute cover in place. Yeah, I have fond memories of the first time I juiced a beet...:glare:

I have an Omega Juicer 8003 if I remember right. I bought it used off of Craigslist 3 yrs or so now. Still runs the same when I bought it. Works great for me and easy clean-up and seems to get a lot of the juice out- ie the pulp is dry. Fwiw my fav juice combo is Kale(1/2 a bunch or so), 1/2 lemon, 1 in ginger, 1 sm beet(1/2 lrg), 3 stalks celery, 1 carrot.

I found this review of the GS even more helpful, and it does state how much more of a yield you will have with the Elite compared to other GS models and other juicers. I also like that it points out the negatives. This review sealed the deal for me. I'm off to order!

http://www.thebestjuicerreviews.com/green-star-elite-juicer.html

I'm sorry...... I'm not trying to sell you, I'm just trying to help you understand the different types of juicers and why some are better than others.

I'm sure right after I use my GSE they will come out with a stainless steel model.:glare:

My husband and I just watched the movie on Netflix. It was very inspiring, especially the truck driver!!! Anyway, we went to the website and looked up the juicer he used. I think it was $499! There are cheaper models. I'm afraid for a lot of heavy juicing a good/expensive juicer would be necessary. It didn't look like they peeled the fruit or even took the cores out of the apples.

Hopefully someone who has done this will post a review of a juicer they have used personally!

Thanks for bringing this up!

Elise in NC

When I went on the website, it took me to the $149 model. I bought one of these at Bed, Bath and Beyond and used a 20% coupon. I'm starting with this and will upgrade if needed and I stick with juicing.

When I went on the website, it took me to the $149 model. I bought one of these at Bed, Bath and Beyond and used a 20% coupon. I'm starting with this and will upgrade if needed and I stick with juicing.

Considering how often that it happens that people are really gusto with it and then quit I think it is prudent. My friend bought a commercial model that was at least $1000 after watching some video, perhaps it was the same one and she was convinced it had to be the best or nothing at all. It doesn't have to be the best, think of what you can reasonably afford, what you want to juice and if you can afford it to perhaps just be a dust collector at some point.

Considering how often that it happens that people are really gusto with it and then quit I think it is prudent. My friend bought a commercial model that was at least $1000 after watching some video, perhaps it was the same one and she was convinced it had to be the best or nothing at all. It doesn't have to be the best, think of what you can reasonably afford, what you want to juice and if you can afford it to perhaps just be a dust collector at some point.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:FWIW I'm buying my second juicer and know how much I love to juice. With less kids to feed I will have more money to spend on produce for juicing.:001_smile: FOr someone starting out, though, I'd go with a lower end model to see how much you're actually going to use it. You can also consider a refurbished higher end model, one that comes with a warranty.