Menu

New Desktop Computer or IPad???

Hello,

This may seem like a bit of a crazy question, but which would you go for? A new desktop computer or the IPad?

My hubby and I have talked about both. We have an older Mac computer that still runs, but probably doesn't have much oomph! left in it.

We have thought about getting a brand new Mac desktop, but it will run us anywhere from $1500.00 to $1800.00 most likely. However, my husband would also LOVE to get an IPad (probably about $700.00), but I don't know if it would be a big mistake to get that over a desktop.

Which would you go with? Can you hook an IPad up to a printer? What would be the disadvantages of going with one over the other?

We use the computer for internet, school at times, photos, paying bills, etc...

Thanks in advance for your responses. Have a great day! :)

If price is an issue, why do you have to buy a MAC? MAC is great for a non-user, but really with a little reading you can use a Microsoft OS. Apple is not the only computer maker.

An iPad is not a computer - a close similarity to a tablet actually, but not quite all the way there.

I suppose if I were you that I would look at a notebook/laptop for the portability. As well, look at those with i3 and i7 processors. I posted a long time ago a list of specs for choosing.

I would be cautious in spending that much money for something that consumers have been taught is elite, when in fact it is just another computer like any other with purpose and a matter of what you like or don't.

I can't and don't justify the cost for something that has such a small market share. Anything you can do on a MAC, and more for that matter, you can do on a Window's OS-based machine.

Don't be afraid of Windows. You can learn it.

My two cents ... :lol:

Whatever you do ignore those who would tempt you to the dark-side of Microsoft hell :D

I love (love, love) our iPad. New iMac vs iPad depends on what you want to (need to) do.

For running content-creation programs (anything from Office, to Photoshop, to Video Editing, etc) the iMac wins.

But for internet, email, games, running apps, ebooks and—this is the big point—for having it be truly portable, the iPad is awesome.

My Mac (a G5 tower) is aging, but I almost never use it anymore for casual use. When I need to run a big program it is a different story. But the iPad is my "go-to" device otherwise.

The amount of books and educational materials (and apps) make the iPad very compelling for home education. However, It is not the device I'd want to write a research paper on. So you have to think about which needs you need to fill.

Bill

No worries of being tempted. :) I should have clarified in my initial post that for us it is Apple only. My husband is in the group that believes that Apple is indeed the only computer creators.

We have had a PC/Windows before and was so unhappy because of all the problems and issues we were constantly having that we switched. It was my husbands dream to have a Mac and so in 2002, we got one and have never looked back.

Really, I think the iMAC would be our best choice even if it is more expensive. The IPad just sounds fun! :) However, we can plan that in later on hopefully.

Thanks! :)

I would definitely get a desktop first over an IPad if you're struggling with an older model. I consider the desktop a necessity for our household to run.

BTW - I'm a happy PC user and I adore my IPad as well. There are shades of gray. :D

I would not give up getting a desktop for a tablet. A tablet (of any brand) is basically a netbook. They're cute and great for very specific applications but have relatively little storage, are under powered and have no optical drives.

They are NOT a substitute for desktops or laptops. They're just just big smart phones.

If you don't need anything better then a smartphone, go ahead. :) Frankly, if I HAD to have an iPad I'd go buy a $500 PC laptop for my main computer and then spend the money I saved on the iPad.

Whatever you do ignore those who would tempt you to the dark-side of Microsoft hell :D
Do you mean there's a light-side to Microsoft hell?

OP:

For what you do with a computer, I'd get two iPads and an AirPrint compatible printer, all for the price of the desktop. Or an iPad and a Mac mini.

Last year I got an I-Mac and and I-Pad.

We use BOTH.

Go for the I-Mac first.

Look for I-Pad first generation-- you can get great deals on them (used of course)... I have no desire for the I-Pad2 (yet).

There is a HUGE difference between a Mac and a PC-- in problems/longevity

How many people have a 2002 PC that still runs?

Not quite that old, but I have an original Intel i-Mac from early 2006 that's still going strong.

Because the challenge was issued:

I have a pentium I use for DOS games that's probably from about the mid-nineties.

I also have a Dell Pentium III that we bought around 2000.

My daughter's laptop is only from about 2003-2004.

My parent's computer is probably from 2002.

The PC in my brother's garage is from about 2000.

My in-laws just replaced the PC they bought in 2001, not because it didn't work but simply because my FIL wanted something faster.

Judging from the PCs I've seen around where I live this is nothing extraordinary. I don't doubt some people have trouble with PCs, but I think the case is often wildly overstated.

Apple is not the only computer maker.

:svengo:

:lol:

What about a MacBook? It's the best of both worlds....nice large screen, portable, affordable.

My mom has an iPad. It's great, except when she wants to type on it. Then it's a pain.

We have a MacBook Pro and a MacMini. They're both wonderful!

If you're seriously thinking about going the iPad only route you could get a blue tooth keyboard to go with it. I did that and love it for writing longer things on my iPad.

But I, personally, would go for the desktop if I had to pick just one. Even though the iPad is a lot of fun, it's just not as efficient for some tasks.

And we have apple and microsoft in this house - the iPad has lured me into the world of Mac, but not sure how far I'll stray yet... :)

Not 2002, but we have a PC tower from 2006 that's still going strong and works just fine. It runs Linux. :D

And it's something of an understatement to say you haven't had good luck with your mac.

And it's something of an understatement to say you haven't had good luck with your mac.

Very true. But in 18 mos, it's only ever crashed once. :D (It was because I let the battery die (didn't get it back to the charger on time) and it didn't seem to want to come back to life. It was a very scary 10 minutes. :w00t:)

Can't say that for any Windows PC I've ever owned. :glare:

My DELL that recently went was a bought new 2005 model. I had it wiped/reloaded and the memory upgraded a year ago because of on going issues. We had paid for and current McAfee when it went the 2nd time. That was my third and last, we're now a Mac family.

a. McAfee *sucks*

b. Computers have problems for many reasons other than virus issues. Everyone seems to blame everything on viruses now and I don't know why.

c. Dell sucks, too.