Menu

Help me with Sunday Fellowship Hour Snacks

We have a fat church - lots of overweight people with diabetes and serious health problems. Today on the "fellowship table" were mini cheesecakes, a pineapple upside down cake, "grab bags" of chips, and snack size puddings. I'm trying to monitor my blood sugar and lose weight. I have to eat because we close up the church and often don't leave until well after 1 pm. I chose a grab bag of cheetos and a snack size pudding. This wasn't the best choice but it was better than the cheesecakes and upside down cake. (My blood sugar was ok, but it was 310 calories which is way too much for a snack!)

So - I want to take some diabetic friendly snacks. They can be refrigerated but can't require "fuss" and have to be able to be transported for 30 min. to church. Suggestions?

How about:

Veggies and hummus or veggies and ranch dip

Black bean brownies (They are so good!)

String cheese

Cheese and multi grain crackers

Chips and salsa

Is there a low-carb pretzel out there that tastes decent? I love pretzels and hummus together

Do you have a Kroger/Fry's in your area? They sell low carb yogurts that are single serve and yummy.

I like this blog for low-ish carb ideas:

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/

Deviled eggs? http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dis-delicious-deluxe-deviled-eggs/detail.aspx

Cubed meat & cheese

Lunchmeat roll-ups

fruit with peanut butter for dipping http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peanut-butter-fruit-dip/detail.aspx

Oh, also maybe tortilla roll-ups? I'd go with a whole-wheat tortilla though. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tortilla-rollups-ii/detail.aspx

Edited by Julie in CA

A platter of cheese, crackers, and possibly lunch meat

Veggies and fruit easily eaten by hand (carrot sticks, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, apple slices, grapes, bananas)

Veggie or fruit pizza

Yogurt

Salad on a stick (marinate veggies of choice in dressing of choice and stick them on a skewer... I really like grape/cherry tomatoes, cucumber cubes, sweet red onion, feta or mozzerella, and olives that have been marinated briefly in a greek or italian dressing)

We have a fat church - lots of overweight people with diabetes and serious health problems. Today on the "fellowship table" were mini cheesecakes, a pineapple upside down cake, "grab bags" of chips, and snack size puddings. I'm trying to monitor my blood sugar and lose weight. I have to eat because we close up the church and often don't leave until well after 1 pm. I chose a grab bag of cheetos and a snack size pudding. This wasn't the best choice but it was better than the cheesecakes and upside down cake. (My blood sugar was ok, but it was 310 calories which is way too much for a snack!)

So - I want to take some diabetic friendly snacks. They can be refrigerated but can't require "fuss" and have to be able to be transported for 30 min. to church. Suggestions?

I thought you were doing low carb, young lady!!?

Maybe i was thinking of me. lol For snacks, I like to do cheese, harboiled eggs, a little leftover meat, cashews, plain yogurt, nut butter with an apple or celery, avocado.

(If there is no fridge at the church, throw a couple of frozen cooler packs in your lunch bag). Avocado & nut butters should be fine not being cooled. Or maybe think abut those low carb protein bars? Freeze them. When service is done, they will be defrosted enough to eat.

I crave chips sometimes. :confused:

Edited by LibraryLover

Cheeses and healthy meats, string cheese, cottage cheese, turkey rolled up with low fat cream cheese, nuts, veggie tray, devilled eggs, oh the list is endless. Have you done any reading on high-protein low-carb foods? I'm still a newbie at it, but am learning a lot.