Menu

how difficult is it to make a tankini swimsuit?

My dd hasn't had any luck finding a tankini she'll wear. She won't wear a tankini that has an "ugly" fabric. All the tankinis she can find that have a pretty fabric are low-cut to the point that she won't be seen in public with them.

She loved the one I linked below, but the medium was too small and there weren't any large available when we ordered. Now it isn't available at all.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/swim/juniors/shopbybrand/mudd/PRD~c21752/Mudd+Brushstroke+Swim+Separates.jsp

What I'd really like is for her to settle for a tankini that fits rather than holding out for one that fits her ideals of prettiness (which are pretty steep). We've gone to 3 Kohl's, 3 Targets, 2 Academy's, every store in our mall, and have ordered and returned 6 swimsuits online (one looked great on her, but was itchy and the others didn't fit).

I figured that if she could make her own swimsuit, then she could have the style she likes along with a fabric she likes. I don't know how difficult it is to make one though. She has been in a sewing class for several months and has made several shirts and a skirt. None of the shirts looked very nice because the pattern was pretty shapeless. They hung on her like bags. These were with the Kids Can Sew program.

I could probably find somebody who could help her make it in exchange for tutoring if I had any idea how hard it would be.

I have no help in the sewing department but I was wondering if you've tried Sears. I was having the worst time finding a tankini this year that kept the girls in place until I went to Sears and found some with racerbacks. The top scoops rather than v-necks which keeps the cleavage good and hidden. I don't know if the racerback keeps things in place better or not but this has been the best suit for keeping the girls where they should be. Matter of fact since the suits are 60% off right now, I went back and got a second and even prettier top. I can't find the pretty one on line to link to but maybe you can find it in the store.

Good luck! Finding a good bathing suit is like going on a treasure hunt.

I have made quite a few swimsuits. It is much easier to make a suit for my dd13 than to find a suitable one in the shops, and it takes way less time. I made a cute short tankini top with boy shorts this year.

My advice - finding someone who has done it will help. I would use ONLY Kwik Sew or Jalie patterns - these folks specialize in this kind of fabric. Both are multi-sized; the KS has better instructions and the Jalie has many more sizes in one packet. Both are available from www.patternreview.com which also has reviews of many patterns from folks who have made them. They ship quickly. If you want an AMAZINGLY helpful book, I suggest Kwik Sew's Swim and Activewear book, which has a ton of helpful info. I've read several other books and this is the best.

Boy shorts will be easier than a bikini bottom, as you don't have to worry about the elastic on the lower leg. This one is cute and would be a good choice for a first suit.

I use a serger on the side seams. To apply the elastic, I use a normal zig-zag stitch. Zig-zag to the wrong side, then turn over once and zig-zag down. Jalie's patterns describe a seam treatment for those who don't have sergers.

Remember to line your suit!

Good sources for fabric are Joann's (which will have thin fabric, but also the lining fabric), Spandex World, and Spandex House, both in NYC - google them. Also ebay can be fruitful.

Edited by askPauline

I am not a sewer, but wanted to recommend Lands End. They have come through in the swim suit and jeans department for my DD. Swim suit b/c she needs a swim skirt with a tankini top, which I can't find in stores, and jeans because they have jeans that actually come up to your waist.

I am not a sewer' date=' but wanted to recommend Lands End. They have come through in the swim suit and jeans department for my DD. Swim suit b/c she needs a swim skirt [b']with[/b] a tankini top, which I can't find in stores, and jeans because they have jeans that actually come up to your waist.

:iagree: That's where I bought suits for my older two girls this year. The the tankini tops are not low in the front or the back and the length is good (I ordered slims in the next size up). The swim skirts are cute. I ordered regular briefs for my oldest in case I needed to use the swim skirt fabric to add length to the top. That's what we've done with other suits in the past (sew the skirt to the top). I don't need to alter this one, though.

Has she sewn stretchy materials? That's a different animal.

Old Navy? I think the material would be a bear to work with :(

The material would be both difficult to work with and even harder to find especially if she is picky about the designs on the cloth.

Do not fear the Spandex!!!!

Just stretch as you sew by holding the fabric in front of and behind the presser food. Usually a zig-zag stitch is best. SO much easier to fit than a woven cotton as the stretch is very forgiving. And easier than a non-spandex knit as the spandex gives the fabric great recovery when stretched.

The fabric isn't always that easy to find locally but both Spandex House and Spandex World have a ton of different designs, plus you can mix-and-match solid colors - even Joanns has those. If you use a binding strip at the edges, you can make a whole wardrobe of mix-and-match pieces, adding to it as your skills expand.

I took a bathing suit class at a local sewing store and my very first attempt turned out great! I've been making them ever since.

Edited by askPauline

Here in Hawaii there is a store that custom makes all kinds of bathing suits. We are thinking of splurging on one for my wife sometime while we live here. They may even do online orders, but you would have to send them all the measurements. It is called North Shore Swimwear, or something like that. I can find out for sure if you like?

Just stretch as you sew by holding the fabric in front of and behind the presser food. Usually a zig-zag stitch is best. SO much easier to fit than a woven cotton as the stretch is very forgiving. And easier than a non-spandex knit as the spandex gives the fabric great recovery when stretched.

The fabric isn't always that easy to find locally but both Spandex House and Spandex world have a ton of different designs, plus you can mix-and-match solid colors - even Joanns has those. If you use a binding strip at the edges, you can make a whole wardrobe of mix-and-match pieces, adding to it as your skills expand.

I took a bathing suit class at a local sewing store and my very first attempt turned out great! I've been making them ever since.

Yes! First practice sewing curves on scraps, next make a mock-up out of cheap fabric from the $1 bin, then when you've had enough practice, do the real deal. You won't regret it.

I have sewn at least a hundred swim suits and leotards over the years and I love sewing them!

It is so much easier to fit the seams and curves as the fabric stretches. I have not always had a serger, so I learned on a simple zig zag machine.

You must sew the seams with some kind of a stretch stitch. Not to finish off the seams, as the fabric won't ravel, but rather so the stitches will give and not pop when they are stretched.

A simple zig zag works, but a 3 step zig zag works better. I apply the elastic with the serger when I am in the moood, but it can be applied with a zig zag as well and I recommend that to a new sewer. A serger just moves way to fast and you could easily cut the elastic and that would compromise the elastic. I do all top stitching on knits with a twin needle. The look is professional, but no special skill needed.

I agree with PP to make one out of a cheap t shirt knit or something first to get the fit right.

The only thing that is complicated for me and I have given up sewing them for myself ro that reason, is the chest area. There is not enough suppport in a typical pattern and I never learned how to build in the support for a full figure woman.

HTH.

Couple more thoughts. Be sure you buy the correct kind of elastic. It is beige and very soft and specifically for swim wear.

I would look for a heavier weight of swim fabric and not worry about lining it. 2 layers of fabric might be more than she can deal with as a newby sewer.

• 2 months later...

I've sewn many swim suits for my daughters over the years. It's NOT that hard if you have basic sewing skills. You can use a regular machine, but you will need to sew the seams with a narrow zig zag stitch (or another stretch stitch if your machine has one) so that they have stretch.

Stores like JoAnn Fabrics and Hancock's carry swimsuit material. I usually bought mine at a local store specializing in knit fabrics. You can use cotton or nylon lycra as long as it has enough stretch. (Nylon lycra is shinier). Generally speaking, the greatest stretch is LENGTHWISE on these fabrics, so you have to cut out your suit sideways, instead of laying it out lengthwise the way you would for a non-stretchy fabric. The greatest stretch goes around the body.

Here's a blog post with lots of great tips. You can find TONS more just by googling "sewing swimwear". I was scared to sew with any kind of knit but years ago a sewing friend encouraged me to give it a try and I'm so glad I did!

http://creativechicksatplay.blogspot.com/2009/04/sew-your-own-swimsuit.html

Guest submarines

You can also check out etsy.com. Many cute and modest there, and in any case, you can custom order. Might be cheaper than buying the fabric and all the necessities. (or might be not :lol:)

I I would use ONLY Kwik Sew or Jalie patterns - these folks specialize in this kind of fabric. Both are multi-sized; the KS has better instructions and the Jalie has many more sizes in one packet. Both are available from www.patternreview.com which also has reviews of many patterns from folks who have made them. They ship quickly. If you want an AMAZINGLY helpful book, I suggest Kwik Sew's Swim and Activewear book, which has a ton of helpful info. I've read several other books and this is the best.

Boy shorts will be easier than a bikini bottom, as you don't have to worry about the elastic on the lower leg. This one is cute and would be a good choice for a first suit.

I use a serger on the side seams. To apply the elastic, I use a normal zig-zag stitch. Zig-zag to the wrong side, then turn over once and zig-zag down. Jalie's patterns describe a seam treatment for those who don't have sergers.

Remember to line your suit!

Good sources for fabric are Joann's (which will have thin fabric, but also the lining fabric), Spandex World, and Spandex House, both in NYC - google them. Also ebay can be fruitful.

:iagree:

:lol:

After last year's craziness of trying to find a bottom for dd's tankini (we could find oodles of tops, but no bottoms -- go figure) I decided FROM NOW ON WE'RE FINDING A PATTERN AND DOING THIS OURSELVES, FOR PETE'S SAKE. I think it's easier to figure it out and then be set for life rather than try to go through that rigamarole every year.

By the way, oolala, Jalie is coming out with a new one-piece suit I think might look nice on ME as well as my younger dd.

Go for it!