Menu

Looking for a sixth grade grammar program that is ...

Greta

Grammar only -- I don't need spelling, vocabulary, or writing integrated. Just grammar.

Relatively painless and fun -- dd is a science- and math-oriented kid who isn't as strong in language arts. I don't want it to be too "heavy" - just to get the job done in as fun a way as possible, and in a relatively short time.

Effective and practical -- by that I mean, grammar as a means to an end (fluent writing). That is my goal for her. She's not a future grammarian. :)

Affordable would also be nice!

Any ideas?

ETA: Forgot to mention that the one thing about grammar that she really enjoys, believe it or not, is diagramming!

Edited by GretaLynne

Sounds like Winston Grammar. It doesn't teach diagramming but has the child parsing sentences. It looks like alot of fun. I picked up a used set of materials a few weeks ago just to take a good look at it. I decided to stick with R&S but if I wanted just grammar, I'd go with WG.

http://www.christianbook.com/basic-winston-grammar/pd/24681?item_code=WW&netp_id=166187&event=ESRCG&view=details

Another one to check out is Grammar Ace. Sonlight sells it with a student book, a teacher's manual and the Schoolhouse Rock DVD. We use it as a supplement when we need a break from R&S.

Thank you, Donna. Winston does look fun. I think she would like the colored cards. :) But your mention that it doesn't teach diagramming reminded me that that's the thing she likes MOST about grammar! Funny kid, huh? :D. Not to say that's a deal breaker. I have a whole book devoted to diagramming, so we could supplement with that. Thanks again!

Would AG be too heavy? One of the points that stuck in my mind about AG was the video that discusses teaching grammar like math. (at this link, http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/virtual-convention-videos, the one about why AG is different)

We were very happy with JAG this year and I plan on moving DS to main course this year. DS, who doesn't like grammar at all, actually enjoyed it and did well. We were doing Winston while waiting for it to arrive and it was fun. I'll be using it as filler or on weeks when we can't do a full AG.

Would AG be too heavy? One of the points that stuck in my mind about AG was the video that discusses teaching grammar like math. (at this link, http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/virtual-convention-videos, the one about why AG is different)

Emphasis mine. This is an interesting idea! I'm off to watch the video you linked. Thanks!

AG was great for my non-grammar girl. However, Hake Grammar and Writing would work too. We did it without the writing portion.

We were very happy with JAG this year and I plan on moving DS to main course this year. DS, who doesn't like grammar at all, actually enjoyed it and did well. We were doing Winston while waiting for it to arrive and it was fun. I'll be using it as filler or on weeks when we can't do a full AG.

Cool, thanks!

Well, after watching those videos, I must say, AG looks fantastic!!! I normally wouldn't spend that much $$ on a curriculum, but I'm telling myself that it's three years' worth of grammar in one package. ;) Now I just have to convince hubby to stretch the homeschooling budget a bit. Wish me luck! :D

Well, after watching those videos, I must say, AG looks fantastic!!! I normally wouldn't spend that much $$ on a curriculum, but I'm telling myself that it's three years' worth of grammar in one package. ;) Now I just have to convince hubby to stretch the homeschooling budget a bit. Wish me luck! :D

The cost of AG kept me from using for at least 2 years. I wasted money those two years on programs that didn't work for us.

The cost of AG kept me from using for at least 2 years. I wasted money those two years on programs that didn't work for us.

Wow, that's good to know. Even the cheapest program is a waste of money if it doesn't work. And I've already told my dh that since this may very well end up being my last year of homeschooling :crying: I'm going all out, and enjoying every minute of it! For ONCE I should be allowed to splurge on curriculum! :tongue_smilie:

Us too! I wish I would have bought it when I first checked into it and liked it so much. Not only do I feel like we wasted money on other programs that just didn't work, but time as well.

I don't know anything about AG (and I'm NOT going to look at it!! :tongue_smilie: Blinders are on!), but Easy Grammar is very reasonably priced and does the job. We've had very good success with it, and I know of many others that love it. Very straight-forward and just grammar.

Thought I'd throw another one in there for ya! :001_smile:

Blessings,

Holly in KY

Mama to 11 yr twin boys

TOG'ers

I don't know anything about AG (and I'm NOT going to look at it!! :tongue_smilie: Blinders are on!), but Easy Grammar is very reasonably priced and does the job. We've had very good success with it, and I know of many others that love it. Very straight-forward and just grammar.

Thanks, I will check it out!

We love AG. My dd is using it now and I plan to start ds in JAG in 4th. For those that haven't heard, this is exciting news as well. This came from an email I received from the ladies at AG.

TEACHING DVDs

In July we'll shoot all the video for our newest product. We are making a set of DVDs that teach all the lessons for AG, Jr. AG, and Jr. AG: Mechanics! The DVDs will be sold separately from the books and will be PERFECT for those of you with limited teaching time or who feel you need a little more support and hand-holding from us. The videos will feature both Robin and Erin and will be used for introducing each unit. We'll also take your students through the first few sentences of exercise #1.

The set of DVD for AG will retail for around $40. The DVDs that go with Jr. AG and Jr. AG: Mechanics (sold separately) will each retail for around $20. Stay tuned because we will be offering a pre-order sale when we get closer. The DVD should be ready to get to you in August.

The website says they will be available late August.

I'm looking forward to the DVDs. AG sat on my shelf this past year because I needed something more independent. I was really happy when I found out DVD will be available.

Linda<><