Menu

Would you give up the internet for 1 million dollars?

Depends, is it forever? Never use it or just not have it at home? It would probably require a lot more for me to give it up entirely. Enough that my family and I could go someplace and live completely off the grid. If it's just internet in my home (I can still acess at library) then yeah I'd consider it.

I would, but not if I were young and/or had a good job. The money would have to be tax free or net after taxes. I could buy a house, a new car, and college educations for my kids. Those things are more important to me than the internet.

Edited by RoughCollie

I feel crazy for saying this, but no.

Between finding solutions to a few serious medical issues that weren't on the radar in mainstream medicine yet and homeschooling info for a few of my 'complicated' learners---can't put a price tag on the internet for us.

Now--if I had typical kids and no health problems in the family---I could probably do without it. I'd have a much cleaner home!

After the thread about when we used the internet for the first time--this has been on my mind. I am an information addict. I probably spend too much time reading stuff on the internet--but the fruit of that research has made it so worthwhile. I can't imagine where we'd be in a few areas had I not had access to the internet.

Great food for thought!

Also, both of our careers revolve around the Internet. It would be silly to stop our lives for a mere million. We wouldn't give it up for any price in the world.

Now, if the entire world's Internet ended, we would adjust and still be happy.

Edited by Satori

Nope. The internet allows me to stay connected to too many things, such as family while we're in Central Asia, and Central Asia while we're in the US. A million dollars wouldn't make up for that. It would be a lot harder to live here without it.

I've looked at it the other way around though. The internet is pretty important to me, and right now I've given up a lot of conveniences, but the internet is almost a necessity. A washing machine, running water, and a stove are about the only things more important to me.

Not necessarily.

A) I survived a great many years without it, with only my own wits to utilize...and I lived. Productively.

B)The library? Really? Dewey and I had a complete understanding way before the internet ever showed up. I don't believe it has changed. I'll bet I could work it out again for 1 million dollars.

C) My interests lie entirely elsewhere. I don't need to be connected to people or information 24/7 to feel I'm getting my life's worth. Yes, I learned a lot online. But, I was completely able to learn a lot way before "online" became one word.

I'll take the cash now, please.

In my library system it would be very hard for me to get many books. Sure, I know my Dewey, but the branch we go to has an extensive amount of the children's collection stored in back and you have to know the book exists via the internet only catalog (or wait for it to be rotated onto the shelves) to get it. Ditto getting things from other branches, which we do all the time. I would have to drive from branch to branch looking for a book. All of those are things that, 20 years ago, I *could* have done without the internet, but the paper card records are gone now, so if I couldn't use the internet or have people just proxy using it for me (which seems like it would violate the spirit of this thing, though, I don't know what the rules would be). Essentially, the books we have access to via the library would shrink to maybe a quarter of what they are now without being able to use the internet to find what we want. That's a huge change for me.

If the internet disappeared, then I absolutely could go on with life and be happy - all the better if I somehow got a million dollars out of it. Ditto if I had to lose internet in my home, but could use it somehow elsewhere for essential tasks or for a job, as someone else suggested. That might be annoying, but hey, for a million dollars, I'd consider it. But as it's so ingrained in the fabric of life now in this country, I think it would be nigh on impossible to live without it in some form.