Menu

Best parenting book for creatively dealing w bickering, arguing, negativity, complain

I don't know about books, but my mother had two effective lines.

For bickering: "If you want to argue, go outside and do it so I don't have to listen. It's not my problem if it is dark/cold/raining. If the argument is that important you'll go out and finish it."

For complaining: " I don't care."

:lol:

Rosie

Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes...In You and Your Kids! By Turansky and Miller.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: This was so basic yet so effective. It has a silly name, but the rest of the book more than makes up for it. There is a "Look Inside!" option at amazon, but for some reason, my computer can't open it.

Whatever you decide, if your library doesn't have what you're looking for, don't forget to inquire about an interlibrary loan.

The other one I vaguely remember is Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp.

service projects.

asking each child how they want to be regarded by the other. When ____ thinks of you what words/ feelings do you want them to have?

I am proactive about pointing out the positives.

Older brother who teases -

"He really adores you. He's not THAT annoying. Well, not ALL the time. Do you think maybe he wants you to just pay attention to him? He's being idle - it's not a good use of his time or energy. Why don't you get a board game so you two can play?"

Little sister talks too much & reports everything. (This is true!! I can always get the 411) ha ha

"I agree, she IS very communicative. She loves you. And yes, she's a little maternal. I can see how that might get on your nerves sometimes. Isn't it cool having a little sis who cares so much about you? She really admires you! I hope you always listen to her POV and respect her input."

I pray daily that they are close and that their hearts are knitted together in love.

Parents have a lot of power to foster/ promote/ influence sibling friendships.

We also don't allow them to disrespect on another - even if it's humorous and somewhat true. We nip it.

Also, the parenting book that helped me reach motherhood nirvana and never feel the need to read another parenting guide: Hold Onto Your Kids by Gabor and Mate. It doesn't address specific technicques so much as helped me understand why I need these books in the first place and what I might do about it.

service projects.

asking each child how they want to be regarded by the other. When ____ thinks of you what words/ feelings do you want them to have?

I am proactive about pointing out the positives.

Older brother who teases -

"He really adores you. He's not THAT annoying. Well, not ALL the time. Do you think maybe he wants you to just pay attention to him? He's being idle - it's not a good use of his time or energy. Why don't you get a board game so you two can play?"

Little sister talks too much & reports everything. (This is true!! I can always get the 411) ha ha

"I agree, she IS very communicative. She loves you. And yes, she's a little maternal. I can see how that might get on your nerves sometimes. Isn't it cool having a little sis who cares so much about you? She really admires you! I hope you always listen to her POV and respect her input."

I pray daily that they are close and that their hearts are knitted together in love.

Parents have a lot of power to foster/ promote/ influence sibling friendships.

We also don't allow them to disrespect on another - even if it's humorous and somewhat true. We nip it.

I like this :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your responses! I bought Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends; Mom, Jason's Breathing on Me! and Say Goodbye to Whining....

I also borrowed Creative Correction, Don't Make Me Count to Three, Parenting by the Book, the Well Behaved Child, and more.

:-)

My favorite so far is John Rosemond. WOW, his idea pack a serious punch. I am reading them all! I have to say, I have had amazing results so far, and life is so much more bearable.

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your responses! I bought Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends; Mom, Jason's Breathing on Me! and Say Goodbye to Whining....

I also borrowed Creative Correction, Don't Make Me Count to Three, Parenting by the Book, the Well Behaved Child, and more.

:-)

My favorite so far is John Rosemond. WOW, his idea pack a serious punch. I am reading them all! I have to say, I have had amazing results so far, and life is so much more bearable.

:party: