Menu

Texan and/or OK moms, please advise!

I'll be travelling from St Louis, MO to New Braunfels, TX in a few weeks, and will need to spend one night midway somewhere, and am looking for any ideas of interesting spots to stop for a few hours each day and/or ideas on a good overnight stop.

The general route would be St Louis - Tulsa - Dallas (Fort Worth) - Austin/SA/New Braunfels, but all is flexible except the starting and ending point.

I was looking for somewhere interesting to spend a night, probably in the vicinity of Dallas. It'd be a Sunday - Monday that we'd be travelling, so a Sunday overnight.

I was googling up ideas and came up with Fort Worth Stockyards as a possibly fun stop. Maybe we could spend an afternoon there, stay the night, hang out for the morning, then continue on our way. Is it fun?

We're generally hoping for exposure to historical stuff or really nice outdoorsy stuff, but we do have a lot of other really cool outdoorsy stuff planned for the rest of the epic road trip, so historical stuff would be great, especially since it's a rare opportunity to see western stuff as we're in the east.

TYVM!

The Stockyards do not have enough of interest to really spend more than a few hours there, imo. Also, it's really hot outside here, it was 102 today, and I wouldn't want to spend time outdoors myself, a lot of the stockyards involves walking around outside. There is one small museum in the stockyards, it's been so long that I can't remember if it's worth it.

There is the Cowgirl Museum in Ft Worth, that has some historical info and is indoors. We like the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History a lot, there is a planetarium, Imax theater, and various exhibits, including one about the history of the cattle industry.

The Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas, about JFK's assassination, is interesting. Also in Dallas is the Dallas World Aquarium, while not a historical site, it has some neat animals, there is a sloth "on display" every day, he just hangs out on a tree in a public area, and you can watch the river otters being fed, and the Mayan Dancers.

I haven't been to The Stockyards in years, but it is not all that authentic and pretty touristy. There are some museums and such in Fort Worth around the stock show grounds/Will Rodgers area (different from the Stockyards) along with the zoo, botanical gardens and Log Cabin Village. I would vote for that area over the stockyards.

You probably aren't going to find a whole lot of authentic western type stuff in the DFW area, since it is a pretty big city. Your best bet may be before you get there or after you leave. :(

Step back, Hawaii Boy, before you hurt thyself. :tongue_smilie: Dallas is East Coast. Fort Worth is Cow Country. (It's why they hate each other so much.)

Ahem. Yes, the Stockyards are pretty decent. I would recommend staying in Grapevine though. Lots of nice hotels there, and it's convenient to go to either Dallas or Fort Worth. Also, you can take the train from Grapevine (just north of DFW airport) to the Stockyards. They have some really good BBQ restaurants in and around the Stockyards.

Also in Grapevine, there is the Grapevine Mills outlet mall. It's huge, and it has a two ice rinks, a Lego Discovery center, as well as a brand new aquarium that will open July 12.

There are bike shops in Grapevine, too, that rent bikes, so you can go riding on the bike trails around Grapevine Lake.

Right next door to Grapevine, in South Lake, there is Marshall Creek Ranch, which offers trail rides around Grapevine Lake. They have a limited schedule during June, but if you called ahead, it's likely you could have something set up.

There's also the Texas Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. You could catch a game (seats are usually pretty cheap). Six Flags over Texas is right next to the Ballpark.

Also, do you guys like zoos? The Fort Worth Zoo is a world class zoo. Great zoo. Most of it is shaded, so even when it's hot, it's still an enjoyable outing.

Stop in Wimberley--Where I grew up!!!

Just kidding, I'm sure nothing in that area is as I remembered.

Lara

I am 30 minutes from Wimberley :)

If you are going to be near San Antonio, then you definitely need to see the Alamo!

I don't know Dallas very well, but there is always the Grassy Knoll/Library Building.

You probably aren't going to find a whole lot of authentic western type stuff in the DFW area, since it is a pretty big city. Your best bet may be before you get there or after you leave. :(

Au contraire. Fort Worth native here.;)

The stockyards is a lot of fun for a family. They run a herd of longhorns on horseback through the streets twice a day. You might like the Fort Worth zoo and the little train which runs nearby. (Not sure of the days it is running.) The Cowgirl museum is fun, and it is near the Museum of Science and History. You can have good barbecue at Railhead near the museums. Go at an off time, though, or it will be packed.

OK, so how about the Museum of Nature & Science in Dallas?

I can get in there almost free ($1 extra for a traveling exhibit) since we have a membership in another science museum. It's air conditioned. :) We could do a long drive Sunday all day, spend the night near Dallas (in a hotel with a pool, duh), then spend a few hours at the museum Monday morning before driving on to New Braunfels.

What do you think? Is that a nice museum? It looks nice online.

If you drove across Arkansas, instead of Missouri/Oklahoma to get to Texas, then I would recommend that you stop at Old Washington State Park in the southwest corner of Arkansas. It is FABULOUS!!!

Here's a link:

http://www.historicwashingtonstatepark.com/

You could spend the night in Hope, AR which is right on I-30 and maybe tour the Clinton birthplace on your way out of town the next day (actually there are quite a few things to do in that little corner of AR, including the Crater of Diamonds State Park).

I also checked mapquest for you and going through AR would only add 45 minutes to the total trip! Just my .02 as a native Arkansan.

Au contraire. Fort Worth native here.;)

The stockyards is a lot of fun for a family. They run a herd of longhorns on horseback through the streets twice a day. You might like the Fort Worth zoo and the little train which runs nearby. (Not sure of the days it is running.) The Cowgirl museum is fun, and it is near the Museum of Science and History. You can have good barbecue at Railhead near the museums. Go at an off time, though, or it will be packed.

:iagree: We LOVE the Stockyards and go often, even though we live here. Try looking at the website for the Fort Worth Herd - you can see all the info for the daily longhorn runs.

Ditto to the Cowgirl museum, Science & History Museum, and RAILHEAD. That is some stinking awesome BBQ, really, its probably in our top two places for it.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

The museums. Unless you revel in 100+ (actual) temperatures, you may prefer indoor things.

There is no "real Old West" here, even in Fort Worth ! :)

The "real Texas" is everywhere; it just happens to be quite varied. We are Hispanic culture, redneck culture, basic farmer culture, basic rancher culture, and imported cultures of all sorts. Our land is mountainous, desert-like, high plains, black gumbo, clay, barren, forested, and seashore. That IS "real Texas" !

Once you arrive in New Braunfels, the drought continues in full swing. I'm guessing that you already are familiar with NB, so I don't need to reel off the things to do there.

Have a great time on your trip !

Don't do anything outside!!!!

We love the museum, but I'm not sure there's anything specifically TX about it. I've lived in TX all my life & in DFW for most of it, but I've never been to the stockyards or the Cowgirl Museum. :001_huh: What can I say? I'm not so into cowboy culture. When I was a kid, I lived in Houston & thought going to an art museum meant seeing a bunch of cowboy paintings. I was thrilled the first time I went to the DMA in college, lol.

My sis lives in NB, so you should go see her! :D

It's hot here. Pps said it before, but it bears repeating. We went for a picnic the other day (only because I'm brain dead), sat in the shade for a couple of hours, & came home *miserable.* Two mos ago, I sat w/ a friend at the park for an hour or so in long pants & short sleeves & STILL came home sunburned--it was maybe 80 or 85 that day.

If you read about the hottest places on earth, the only reason TX doesn't rank w/ them is because we aren't that hot ALL THE TIME. But for now? We're there. Or close.

LOL, my friend in NB keeps telling me about how hot it is, too. Last time we visited her was in March. . . and it was hot. July will be interesting.

I did summer in Tucson one year in college, and rode my bike 2 miles each way to class. . . so I am a bit familiar with heat, but it's been a long time!

We plan to spend a lot of time wet. We'll go to the coast for 2 days, spend 2 days at the massive waterpark in NB, and go tubing, etc the other days unless we're inside in AC.

I was hoping to get some runs in. . . but am thinking I might have to take a break from running while in TX, lol, unless I can find an indoor track to borrow.

THanks much for the ideas!!

The heat really isn't that bad until late afternoon. We spend most of our mornings outside and find it perfectly fine. It's warm, but well, it's Texas in the Summer. It's supposed to be that way :D

I would say that if you are wanting to do a lot outdoors, to plan to spend the most time outside in the morning and early afternoon, and then try to find shade/ac from 2 - 7ish.

Oh and as for running, my DH runs a few times a week and he just runs at 6 am - it's quite pleasant. If you get out early enough, you'll be just fine :)

Step back, Hawaii Boy, before you hurt thyself. :tongue_smilie: Dallas is East Coast. Fort Worth is Cow Country. (It's why they hate each other so much.)

Ahem. Yes, the Stockyards are pretty decent. I would recommend staying in Grapevine though. Lots of nice hotels there, and it's convenient to go to either Dallas or Fort Worth. Also, you can take the train from Grapevine (just north of DFW airport) to the Stockyards. They have some really good BBQ restaurants in and around the Stockyards.

Also in Grapevine, there is the Grapevine Mills outlet mall. It's huge, and it has a two ice rinks, a Lego Discovery center, as well as a brand new aquarium that will open July 12.

There are bike shops in Grapevine, too, that rent bikes, so you can go riding on the bike trails around Grapevine Lake.

Right next door to Grapevine, in South Lake, there is Marshall Creek Ranch, which offers trail rides around Grapevine Lake. They have a limited schedule during June, but if you called ahead, it's likely you could have something set up.

There's also the Texas Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. You could catch a game (seats are usually pretty cheap). Six Flags over Texas is right next to the Ballpark.

Also, do you guys like zoos? The Fort Worth Zoo is a world class zoo. Great zoo. Most of it is shaded, so even when it's hot, it's still an enjoyable outing.

Hey now! I have lived in Hawaii a little over a year, but Texas for about ten years. :P

LOL, my friend in NB keeps telling me about how hot it is, too. Last time we visited her was in March. . . and it was hot. July will be interesting.

I did summer in Tucson one year in college, and rode my bike 2 miles each way to class. . . so I am a bit familiar with heat, but it's been a long time!

We plan to spend a lot of time wet. We'll go to the coast for 2 days, spend 2 days at the massive waterpark in NB, and go tubing, etc the other days unless we're inside in AC.

I was hoping to get some runs in. . . but am thinking I might have to take a break from running while in TX, lol, unless I can find an indoor track to borrow.

THanks much for the ideas!!

Ok, but I don't think Tucson has the humidity we have. I've heard that makes a difference. And I think the desert cools off at night--we don't.

I've always lived in TX, but here's the thing: I'm older, heavier, & I think that makes a huge difference. Plus, this year the weather guy says we're going to meet or beat all of our state records--117 in one city. (I forget where, but that's the one I quote to everybody, even when it's only 92 here.) :lol:

The heat really isn't that bad until late afternoon. We spend most of our mornings outside and find it perfectly fine. It's warm, but well, it's Texas in the Summer. It's supposed to be that way :D

I would say that if you are wanting to do a lot outdoors, to plan to spend the most time outside in the morning and early afternoon, and then try to find shade/ac from 2 - 7ish.

Oh and as for running, my DH runs a few times a week and he just runs at 6 am - it's quite pleasant. If you get out early enough, you'll be just fine :)

Lizard! ;)

:iagree: My only caution is there is HORRENDOUS road construction going on near Grapevine. Okay, it's not actually horrendous, but it annoys me and slows me down. I LOVE Main Street in Grapevine...neat shops and eateries...

I love the Stockyards...lots of little shops to poke around in. The Botanic Gardens in Ft. Worth are great. As is the zoo.

Yep, it's hot here. Plan on a hotel with a pool! Drink lots of icy cold Dr Pepper!

It seems to me that going from Tulsa to New Braufels by way of Ft. Worth might be a little bit longer of a drive. I know that 35 splits off at Denton and either goes to Ft. Worth OR Dallas, but I'm pretty sure it's quicker to go down 69/I75 from Tulsa to Dallas and once you get to Dallas, get on I35. The drive from Tulsa to Dallas is really pretty. There are quite a few lakes along 75 in Oklahoma. I would stay/stop in Dallas though, and if you are looking for a museum/zoo type activity, I HIGHLY recommend the Dallas World Aquarium. It is a little pricey (and it's private, so you aren't going to get any museum membership sharing deals), but they have a wonderful variety of animals that aren't as common in traditional zoos and aquariums. My kids love it! Plus, it is very near the West End/downtown Dallas attractions and restaurants. The Dallas Museum of Science and History is just OK. The one in Ft. Worth is better so if you do decide to go through Ft. Worth, I would recommend that one. Another thing, if you don't mind spending a bit of money, is Medieval Times in Dallas. It's a dinner show with horses and knights and such. Kids love it but like I said, the tickets can be kind of pricey, but I think there are coupons available fairly regularly.

New Braunfels is the best though......we absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE going to Schlitterbaun. It's the absolute most amazing waterpark, and I'm really not into waterparks that much :001_smile:

I was googling up ideas and came up with Fort Worth Stockyards as a possibly fun stop. Maybe we could spend an afternoon there, stay the night, hang out for the morning, then continue on our way. Is it fun?

You won't need nearly that much time.

You could spend the morning there and watch the longhorn cattle drive--which is no big deal, but the longhorns are kind of awesome--and then be on your way. From Ft. Worth to New Braunfels is a long drive...a nice one, but still long, and you'll be going smack through the middle of downtown Austin. Goodness only knows what the traffic will be like. :tongue_smilie: You'll also drive right past me. :D

I'm in the Tulsa area. My vote would be to drive on through Tulsa and visit OKC. The bombing memorial is very moving. To walk around is free but there is also a museum you can pay to go through.

There's not much here in Tulsa that you'll be sad to have missed.

Woolaroc is fun too but it's not in the Tulsa area. It's about 45 minutes north on HW75. If you have the time it's worth the drive.

The drive to Dallas is quicker if you take I40 and then I35. I've driven both ways...that was the quicker route. It will also take you through OKC.

OK, so how about the Museum of Nature & Science in Dallas?

I can get in there almost free ($1 extra for a traveling exhibit) since we have a membership in another science museum. It's air conditioned. :) We could do a long drive Sunday all day, spend the night near Dallas (in a hotel with a pool, duh), then spend a few hours at the museum Monday morning before driving on to New Braunfels.

What do you think? Is that a nice museum? It looks nice online.

It's okay, my kids like it. But it's old, the Ft Worth one was recently rebuilt and is nicer. I actually like walking around outside the Dallas one better than the inside, but it's too hot right now.

I've been researching fun things to do in Fort Worth because we will be there this weekend

...The Stockyards honestly sounds like a mall from what I've been reading

Log Cabin Village sounds interesting (but HOT because it is outdoors)

http://www.logcabinvillage.org/

Something cheap, but really fun in the area is the Dinosaur Valley State Park! (again, outside and HOT)

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/dinosaur_valley/

Another fun place to check out (though not sure how much "on the way" it is) would be the Texan Independence Hall -- where the Declaration of Independence for Texas was signed (this is the reason the Alamo is such a big deal -- they bought the time for Texas to declare its independence and get out of town!) This is one of my favorite places to visit in Texas

Another place we are going near Fort Worth is Dublin Dr. Pepper -- which is still made with real sugar http://www.dublindrpepper.com/

Washington-on-the-Brazos: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/washington_on_the_brazos/overview.phtml

OK, I know you said near Dallas, but it's not too bad of a drive from OKC to Dallas, so I'm recommending OKC. :) On the north end of OKC, you have the Cowboy Hall of Fame, the Science Museum (very kid friendly), the Zoo (new baby elephant!) and Frontier City (amusement park). All very close together. Not even having to go 'into town.' But if you do go into town, there's the downtown Bricktown area w/ Bass Pro (an attraction of its own for us Okies) and the baseball stadium (not to mention the river boats, restaurants and movie theatre). It's a nice place to spend an evening (but gets busy). OKC is also the main place for horse shows (not sure what that entails), so there's usually something going on at the State Fair Arena, from craft shows, to animal sales, to monster trucks. All these places I'm mentioning are right on the interstate also. There's also the Oklahoma History Center near the Capitol, and downtown.

So, there's my plug for OK tourism. :-D If you do go to Dallas, we enjoyed the Aquarium, but it was pricey. And we also enjoyed the Flight Museum at Love Field. Both those places would be good for 'kids' of all ages.