Menu

DD says we need to move.

To a city with a better library. :glare:

Our library is tiny and does not have a good book selection. We were looking for books on Abe Lincoln [she loves him] and we could not find any GOOD books. She kept asking to go to Barnes and Noble b/c their books are better. I had to explain to her that we have to BUY those books.

I need to scope out our sister libraries b/c ILL is so slow and by the time I get the books she has moved on to a different subject.

My advice? If there's anything remotely close to you, drive. It's worth it.

I pay $50/yr for my library card in a neighboring county and drive 30 minutes to get there. I do go to that town for many other things, so it's almost never a special trip just for the library, but still. It's worth it!

Same here. Fortunately we live near the county line and the libraries are pretty good in the next county. It costs me $25 per year--well worth it. Funny thing is that in spite of the economic downturn, our county just built a lovely new library. I haven't been yet, but will probably not get out there soon. A friend went and told me how it went: beautiful building, very modern interior, computers . . . where are the books? There were NO BOOKS! She asked the librarian, who answered that they were still building their collection. :001_huh:

Look into neighboring counties. Here, I am a resident of one county. Our library system is very good, with small branches in several towns (so a limited number of books at each branch), but since it's a small and rural county overall, the county's collection on a whole is smaller than the neighboring counties' collections. I can have my county order books from other counties, but I can only request a couple at a time (and I hate to keep bothering my dear local librarians with my many requests -- not that they ever seem to mind, but I do). Otoh, I can take my library card directly to the other counties' libraries and have it coded for those counties, so I can request books from those counties myself; I can request 10-15 at a time online and pick them all up at once. This has been such a blessing to me. Maybe your state has something similar?