Menu

50lbs of Peaches

I placed an order for a bushel of peaches. I have a couple weeks to decide what to do with them. I don't do canning, so I need ideas for freezing or other.

Obviously we can cut them into cubes and freeze. Maybe make some peach butter? Is there a recipe for freezing?

Any ideas/recipes are welcome!

I placed an order for a bushel of peaches. I have a couple weeks to decide what to do with them. I don't do canning, so I need ideas for freezing or other.

Obviously we can cut them into cubes and freeze. Maybe make some peach butter? Is there a recipe for freezing?

Any ideas/recipes are welcome!

I'd slice them up, pack them in ziplocs (burp the air, and freeze them. They might turn a bit brown (like apples do when they're cut) so don't slice more than you can pack at a time.

You do realize that with fruit you don't need a pressure cooker to preserve them? With fruit that is acidic enough, you only need a pot large enough to get 1 inch of water over the top of the jars, which is called a water bath. Just wanted to be sure you knew. Last week I made peach butter, peach salsa and ginger peach jam and water bath canned them without my pressure cooker. They will keep up at least 12 months but up to 18-24 months. For the ones i froze I made a simple syrup of water and sugar and put the sliced peaches in a ziploc poured the cooled simple syrup in. I then removed the air and put in the freezer.

I would simply pack them whole in freezer zip bags and freeze. It is so fast and easy. Then when you are ready to use take what you need out, rince in quite warm water, the skin will slip right off. You can then cut into what ever you need for a desert.

I did this a couple of years ago and my youngest would go to the freezer, deskin them as described and eat like an apple. He loved them, no extra sugar, great snack. I loved it too until I suddenly realized my peaches were all gone.:lol:

This recipe came from my mother-in-law.

Peach Honey

4 lbs peaches

3 cups sugar - can be altered to taste

Slice peaches, put in saucepan with sugar. Let simmer 20 minutes. She left her as is, put into canning jars, and froze. I use an immersion blender to puree first, then put into canning jars. This doesn't get thick like jelly, but stays a sauce-like consistency. Great on pancakes and ice cream!