Menu

Can't find a PA evaluator!

Last year's evaluator has streamlined his services to only three days. Of course, the one day we had available was quickly filled. So - we have been searching for another evaluator for a few weeks. Even teacher friends have turned me down!

I called someone today who was very hesitant because I don't use a curriculum like Bob Jones, Alpha Omega, etc. He won't sign off on anything that is a "hodge podge". He has never seen a high schooler who used PA Homeschoolers or went through a textbook on his own (then taking an AP test). The man won't even consider seeing my 5th grader, who for Asian Studies, read, watched documentaries, cooked, did art, went on field trips. Not enough documented.

I am starting to get nervous; I guess I was lucky last year. Last year's evaluator did say that he's never seen a portfolio like mine, but was fine with it.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm getting mighty scared!

I called someone today who was very hesitant because I don't use a curriculum like Bob Jones, Alpha Omega, etc. He won't sign off on anything that is a "hodge podge". He has never seen a high schooler who used PA Homeschoolers or went through a textbook on his own (then taking an AP test). The man won't even consider seeing my 5th grader, who for Asian Studies, read, watched documentaries, cooked, did art, went on field trips. Not enough documented.

Wow. Just wow. So much more I could say.

Montgomery County PA. ;)

So you're near Philly, right? You should be able to find someone cool, though you might have to drive a bit.

Go to askpauline.com and click on the link that says Evaluator List. You can then browse evaluators by area code. Good luck!

Yes, there should be some in Philly at the very least. You could also look at PA Homeschoolers; I think they have a list of folks who evaluate for them (and I think I have a link to it on my website, but I know they've been redesigning it, and I'm not sure if I've kept up...).

I had a wonderful evaluation today with my wonderful evaluator, who does a very eclectic curriculum herself. They are out there, and you can find one!

Our evaluator is awesome, but he's in Adams County, so a bit of a drive from you. His own homeschooled kids are younger. He seemed to enjoy talking about the possibilities ahead with my "just finished junior year" son. Most of my guy's work is self studied at this point. His wife evaluates younger students.

But, like I said, we're a bit of a drive from you. I also know he's on vacation at the moment, but should be back after the weekend.

Not enough documentation with all of that?! That is ridiculous! The mom of one of my close childhood friends is an evaluator and evaluated me when I graduated... through PA homeschoolers!! Their diploma is not easy to earn and my neighbor, who has her Master's in Early Childhood Ed., says that college scouts in the surrounding states LOOK for PA Homeschoolers diplomas!

I sure hope you can find someone... I'm already afraid of the whole process since this will be our first reporting year. I don't want to use our close friend because I think it would make her uncomfortable.

Don't sweat it too much... It will work out! I didn't start high school attempting to get a diploma through PA homeschoolers. We had a local church group that dissolved without accrediting my work in the 9th and 10th grades. I didn't write the required 10 page paper one of those years and even though I was taking advanced comp. at community college and had many papers, none of them was a 10 page research paper. My evaluator denied me when I applied to receive my diploma because of a tiny mistake I made in 10th grade even though I had great portfolios, excellent grades, and did dual enrollment at my community college.

Thankfully, the Richmans saw the insanity in the situation and allowed me to turn in make up work to prove myself and I did receive my diploma. That just goes to show you the standards they have... and that even if the process is tough, anything is possible!

Hugs to you!

Edited by Stacie Leigh

I didn't start high school attempting to get a diploma through PA homeschoolers. We had a local church group that dissolved without accrediting my work in the 9th and 10th grades. I didn't write the required 10 page paper one of those years and even though I was taking advanced comp. at community college and had many papers, none of them was a 10 page research paper. My evaluator denied me when I applied to receive my diploma because of a tiny mistake I made in 10th grade even though I had great portfolios, excellent grades, and did dual enrollment at my community college.

Thankfully, the Richmans saw the insanity in the situation and allowed me to turn in make up work to prove myself and I did receive my diploma. That just goes to show you the standards they have... and that even if the process is tough, anything is possible!

Hugs to you!

Oh don't tell me this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :svengo::eek:

We are moving to PA in about a month and my Dd's 9th and 10th grade language arts does not match the requirements with PA diploma programs. We followed IL standards and what our school district does in their classes with additional work that I wanted her to do.

We were going to apply to PHAA as a out of state transfer. Maybe we shouldn't even bother? I do not want her to have to "redo" or make-up anything in her language arts.... she plans to graduate a year early and she has worked her butt off doing 8 credits a year for 9th and 10th grades, and will do so again this year for 11th grade.

We were going to apply to PHAA as a out of state transfer. Maybe we shouldn't even bother?

I wouldn't dismiss the idea without talking to them first. They have dealt with this situation before.

Note also that there are other PA diploma programs available if PHAA doesn't pan out for you.

Also sent you a pm recommending someone (in York County...a bit of a drive, but honestly, for a good evaluator once a year it's worth it!).

I know of a very good one in Berks Co. - let me know if you want the contact info - might be less of a drive than York.

AND - don't forget you can use anyone who meets the qualifications, even if they know nothing about homeschooling and haven't ever done an eval before. (There's an easy-to-use form on my web site for just this situation.) Many folks have a friend, neighbor, relative, etc. who might do the eval and sign the form in exchange for a homemade casserole and a bunch of flowers.

Edited by askPauline

I know of a very good one in Berks Co. - let me know if you want the contact info - might be less of a drive than York.

AND - don't forget you can use anyone who meets the qualifications, even if they know nothing about homeschooling and haven't ever done an eval before. (There's an easy-to-use form on my web site for just this situation.) Many folks have a friend, neighbor, relative, etc. who might do the eval and sign the form in exchange for a homemade casserole and a bunch of flowers.

Thank you. If I ever need another one, I'll let you know. I'm pretty attached to this one though :) The kids and I look forward to seeing her and she runs a group that we hope to eventually participate in.

Thank you. If I ever need another one, I'll let you know. I'm pretty attached to this one though :) The kids and I look forward to seeing her and she runs a group that we hope to eventually participate in.

Sorry mommaduck, that was meant for the OP! If she's in Montgomery, Berks might be closer than York. Sorry to be confusing!

We are moving to PA in about a month and my Dd's 9th and 10th grade language arts does not match the requirements with PA diploma programs. We followed IL standards and what our school district does in their classes with additional work that I wanted her to do.

We were going to apply to PHAA as a out of state transfer. Maybe we shouldn't even bother? I do not want her to have to "redo" or make-up anything in her language arts.... she plans to graduate a year early and she has worked her butt off doing 8 credits a year for 9th and 10th grades, and will do so again this year for 11th grade.

Oh no, I don't think you'll have any worries in your situation! If you were within the law in your former state, you should be off the hook in PA, I believe. Well worth looking into since they are very stringent, but I do know that had I been in a private school in 9th & 10th, they would have accepted that as a grade completed and allowed me to pick up the program in 11th.

If you have any worries, contact Susan or Howard Richman (They are the founders of PHAA.). Contact info here:http://www.pahomeschoolers.com/whoweare.shtml or here: http://www.phaa.org

I haven't had to deal with them in years, but in the past, they've been quite good about answering inquiries.

I live in Montgomery County, and have used Naomi Strunk, in Quakertown, PA. That's in Bucks county, but just across the line.

naomieval@gmail.com

She doesn't mind folks who use a variety of books for a subject. She will send you a 'form' to fill out, listing the books for each subject and a brief summary of what you studied in each subject. but if you keep it to a paragraph for each subject, it isn't a long form. She is also qualified thru high school.

She usually answers emails quickly.

Joyce

There is also the Mason/Dixon diploma program.

I would look in to the transfer information before you get too worried. They should not hold you to state standards for the time you did not live in the state.