Menu

What are your "skill goals" for your rising 4th grader this year?

Halcyon

I was wondering if others could share their skill goals for their rising 4th grader? I am trying to think this through as I haven't done this before.

Thank you!

Could you give me an example of what information you are looking for?

Dd8 is going to be in 4th grade. I want to work on her word problem skills. She is doing Life of Fred Fractions now and will start Saxon 6/5 in the fall. She is good at computations but has some trouble knowing what to do to solve a problem.

Are you looking for information like that? Or what our writing goals are? Something else entirely?

After seeing what others put down, I would add:

1. Work on writing. We've done very little writing. I would like her to be able to write 1-2 pages of well-written work. To accomplish this she will need to work on writing skills and learn to think of herself as creative. She doesn't write for fun.

2. Handwriting. I would like for her to do well with cursive by the end of 4th.

3. Personal grooming. I would like for her to brush her hair without me nagging her.

4. I would like her to memorize 30+ good sized chuncks of scripture, poems, etc.

5. I would like for her to learn to cook 5 or 6 meals and to make some sides.

Edited by Meriwether

Reading more of his school work on his own (He reads a great deal, but I want him reading more of his school books.)

Math facts

Writing, writing, writing!

Oh, and spelling. Those go hand-in-hand.

Typing

Using scissors. Yes, I know he's 9. But he *still* needs to work on this.

Laundry

Making/putting together his own breakfast and lunch

Basic mending

Mastery of math facts for the 4 basic operations.

Ability to write a simple paragraph, with a good opening sentence, and 2-3 supporting sentences, with proper punctuation.

Tying shoes. (Yes, still working on this!)

Riding a two wheeler with confidence (Yes, still working on this too!)

Beginning touch typing--learning where all the letters are by feel, not hunt and peck.

Using a kettle and microwave safely.

How to answer a phone politely and take a simple message.

My goals for ds9 will be to move him into a place where his writing is more controlled. He already writes well and will fill a page or more, but it is very much still stream of conscious writing rather than planned. He needs to be able to create an outline and write from it. Fourth grade is the transition year for writing, I think. By the time he enters fifth, I want him capable of writing several full page summaries a week.

He needs to be sure to cement his multiplication facts, but I think he has pretty much got those.

We have a busy year ahead some of my main goals are:

1. Grooming ( hair brushing, why is she resisting at age 9?)

2. Math - increase ability/comfort with fractions, decimals and percents

3. Writing, focus on organization for reports (outlining), also work on taking notes/narrations (focus on important points versus less significant information)

4. Typing - goal of 50 wpm by Spring. This should really help her writing skills.

5. Science- spark an interest (and hopefully a passion for) and basic understanding of by doing lots of fun experiments.

6. Extras: swimming, piano and drawing let other teachers develop those skills

3. Personal grooming. I would like for her to brush her hair without me nagging her.

1. Grooming ( hair brushing, why is she resisting at age 9?)

This is an issue here too, with my just turned 9 yr old/rising 4th grader. Very interesting that it seems common with girls this age.

Other goals for my girl:

Cement multiplication facts.

Work on handwriting.

1. Work on writing. We've done very little writing. I would like her to be able to write 1-2 pages of well-written work. To accomplish this she will need to work on writing skills and learn to think of herself as creative. She doesn't write for fun.

Interesting comment regarding creativity. My dd doesn't write for fun, and she doesn't enjoy it. I am thinking about incorporating more artistic expression and fun through a Waldorf Main Lesson Book approach to some of our schooling.

Some of my ideas thus far for my rising 4th grader:

* Cursive - comfortable execution

* Grooming - hair and bathing without nagging

* Cooking - be able to make 3-4 complete dinners

* Writing - writing one paragraph narration

* Habit training - dilligence in tackling more difficult literature, piano practice, picking up after self, and attending to school work

I am encouraged that others struggle with their 9yo bathing and hair routines. I keep telling myself that she will figure it out, but I wish it would happen with a whole lot less nagging.

Here are a few I have in mind to work on:

typing, especially next spring

organizing: work towards filing own work at end of each week

keep books/notebooks neat and organized so they are easier

to find

keep own book list (used to do this, but have

slacked off)

some increased responsibility in a couple of academic areas, especially memory

household responsibilities increased recently

It sounds like many of us are in the same place:

1. Writing- both to be comfortable and speedy in cursive and to be able to write a well developed paragraph. All we have done is dictation and narration type writing.

2. Automatic basic operations in math- really good at addition, ok at subtraction, not great at about 1/4 of multiplication facts and poor at division right now. But she can do word problems easily:tongue_smilie:

3. Grooming is also an issue here.

Christine

We do sound alike, lol. That's comforting!

Writing - Babysteps...if we can get a nice paragraph this year out of WWW3, I will be very happy. It's a small, but reachable, goal for him. So far he has only done narration/dictation. We will also be upping the ante this year with WWE-style work with SOTW. Writing will be our biggest goal this year, I think.

Independence in school work. Some curriculum changes should help with this.

Handwriting - Slow down a little and take pride in writing. I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but something that looks less like a 3 year old wrote it would be nice. (Exaggerating, but DD1 far outperforms in handwriting and she is 2.5 years younger.) He likes to flick the pencil off of every letter or number. Basically, we will have a lot more writing in subjects this year by going more workbook based with CLE LA...hoping this helps him. This will also help with the independence goal above. ;)

Math - Fully conquer multiplication and division (ie recall the facts quickly)

Grooming -- Stop peeing on the dam toilet seat.

I have a rising 4th grade son. Here are my goals for him:

1. Mastery of division facts

2. Mastery of long division

3. Be able to write in cursive as easily as he prints

4. Increase reading fluency

5. Write a good paragraph

6. Begin typing skills

Everything else is gravy!:001_smile:

Wow I thought I had the only rising 4th grader that needed work on:

Handwriting

Writing

Grooming

It good to know I am not the only one :D

Also she wants to learn how to cook more than just eggs and laundry.

I would like for her to learn (and me relearn) time management skills.