Menu

Easy-to-read US History spine?

Can you suggest a US History spine for dd15? She enjoys reading and history, but needs an "easy reading" spine, something 6th-grade-ish.

Long story short: foster care, public school, lack of parenting, fast forward, adoption, making great strides, wonderful kid, needs grace in the area of reading difficulty level. :)

We will be doing lots of supplementing with videos, activities, projects trips, etc. Just haven't found the right narrative to use for a spine. Help?

Thanks!!

Wendy

You might see if you can get a copy of one of the volumes of "The History of Us" by Joy Haim. It is considered middle school but has lots of information and nice narrative for kids who like story-style, and then you could add to it with documentaries, etc. I would recommend getting some primary source material on audio if possible. Try your local universities because they usually have far more on audio than what is typically available through Amazon or Barnes and Nobles and that is due to the fact that state schools are required by law to accomodate reading disabilities for those students who could otherwise meet college requirements. I know people who have for year degrees and all of their textbooks were provided to them on audio, all the classics they needed for English Literature, etc. all of it. They were also allowed to take their exams in a special testing area so they could do the writing portion on the computer and with extra time, as well as do parts or even whole of the test orally with the professor. So, I think you might find some books you'd like for her to be exposed to on audio from a university bookstore or learning center.

But, I do recommend that if you can find one of the Hakim volumes at a library or for very low cost, you do this and read it yourself. Hakim's works are of the type that most people seem to have one of two extreme reactions - love or hate and not much middle ground. So, you don't want to invest in an 11 volume set (don't get worried they aren't thick books and there are lots of maps, photography, etc. do they aren't huge books) until you've had a chance to read one. I purchased mine off ebay and paid a total of $44.95 total minus the teacher guide and volume one (ancient history of North America which we cover in World History so I didn't feel the need to use that volume). It's normally a $200.00 or so set.

Faith

Faith,

Thank you for the audio idea! Hadn't thought of that.

A question on Hakim: I actually have a few volumes of Hakim leftover from older dd. Sonlight uses it as their spine for American history, but they supplement it with gobs of notes on what they say is "wrong" with her perspective. What do you think -- is Hakim a reliable source that could be used as-is? While I await your reply, I'm off to hand her a volume to look over . . .

Thanks!

Wendy

Well, I have to say that unbiased history spines are pretty much impossible to find. The who's, what's, where's, and when's are facts, the how's and why's and what should we learn from it, are pretty subjective and humans all have biases.

I've never used sonlight so I do not know what their bias is against the series. She is probably a social liberal or well, I did not get the impression she was on the left side of liberal, but, well...possibly more moderate. For some conservative Christians, this might be a problem. To be honest, I've not been particularly bothered by her commmentary. But, dh and I teach worldview directly to our children. We openly talk about our perspectives, interpretations, and biases including the fact that we were both brought up in extremely conservative, Christian homes and tend now as adults to take a more moderate view on many issues and yet maintain a fiscally conservative stance. In the end, we don't fit in with any stereotypes and we are comfortable with that and impart that to our children. How can we help that? It's human nature.

As a general rule, I don't get too upset by biases until they get more extreme or at least, more extreme as we define it. I have rejected a few for outlandish views and I did post here once looking asking what others had found that wasn't too slanted and seemed to be thorough. I think U.S. history is something that is profoundly difficult for Americans to embrace. We prefer to just think of it in terms of some random facts and not go too deep because or country is so young and it feels pretty personal, raw if you will. Therefore, it's hard because it seems that a lot of spines are either a bit radical or so politically correct on the other extrem that nothing of substance is addressed, or in the case of some Christian materials, possibly a little too slanted in that direction too.

So, now everything is CLEAR AS MUD for you isn't it? :D I don't know your family, your worldview, or your comfort zone. I have not felt that Hakim was grossly negligent in misrepresenting facts, getting known facts wrong, weighted down in editorial errors, etc. She does have a worldview. She does have a bias. It will come through and that is true for every author. If I had my druthers, I'd love to see SWB do a U.S. history spine for Norton. Something that went into our history in depth, but as always, continued to put it in the perspective of what is happening in the world at the time instead of U.S. history that makes us appear to be an island unto ourselves. SWB, like any author, has her own views. But, I've found that she seems to try the hardest of any history writers I've read to fight against it and be honest. Alas, I don't think that volume is on her horizons and by the time she got it done, my youngest would probably be through high school.

This is why I recommend that you just read it for yourself and really think about it. Is the author's bias offensive to you? Is it something simple that you could easily bring your own family's perspective to bear on without major work? Do you find it inaccurate in it's facts?

Maybe someone else who has used it more than I will be able to shed some light on this topic.

Faith

Another option is to use All American History volumes 1 & 2 . It is by the same publishers as the Mystery of History series. It is written to be used by 5th-8th grade at the rate of one volume / year.If you combine the volumes and use their high school level tests, it should count as a high school credit, but still be easy to read. I am using it for my dyslexic son for high school.

I don't remember the name of the workbook series; however, Sonlight uses it -- or did in the past -- in some lower-grades U.S. history cores. They are basic narratives, with non-complex questions at the end of each section. Might be from EPS (bought out by somebody else a few years ago).

Ringing any bells for anybody?

Another option is to use All American History volumes 1 & 2 . It is by the same publishers as the Mystery of History series. It is written to be used by 5th-8th grade at the rate of one volume / year.If you combine the volumes and use their high school level tests, it should count as a high school credit, but still be easy to read. I am using it for my dyslexic son for high school.

Thanks, I will look at that.

I don't remember the name of the workbook series; however, Sonlight uses it -- or did in the past -- in some lower-grades U.S. history cores. They are basic narratives, with non-complex questions at the end of each section. Might be from EPS (bought out by somebody else a few years ago).

Thanks, I'll ask my SIL, she has all the old cores.

If she understands better when things are read aloud, and you're willing to do so, I highly recommend K12's The American Odyssey. They use it for their high school courses and you'll have to call and see if you can get a copy (I told them I was thinking of using their course and wanted to preview the text and they sold it to me). There may be some on the used market now as well. Anyway, it is probably as unbiased as a text like this is going to get. I was particularly impressed with their balanced coverage of the period from 1980 onwards.

I read the entire thing aloud to my dyslexic son and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was MUCH better than any other high school or college level American history text I've ever encountered.

Edited by EKS

You might also consider Walch Power Basics. It's not a spine, but a complete package. It's written at about a fourth grade reading level, but with the info a high school student needs to learn. They have American History, American Govt. and World History 1-3

My sophomore will be using this because she wants to focus on English and science and just get history out of the way.

I had those, here they are. http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?series=1631M

I found them inadequate for 4th grade. They were very short snippets of history with some comprehension questions. I never used them. *I* would not use them for high school, there are many more books that are a better investment.

Thanks. It was so many years ago, I didn't remember how "basal" they were. Was just grabbing from memory for something straightforward and simple. Obviously that was not a suitable suggestion!

I had those, here they are. http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?series=1631M

I found them inadequate for 4th grade. They were very short snippets of history with some comprehension questions. I never used them. *I* would not use them for high school, there are many more books that are a better investment.

I've been looking at this a lot tonight and it *might* be the one! Can you tell me more about the activities and what the teacher's guide is like? I am really looking for a narrative spine; activity suggestions are great, questions are great, etc., but I want the flexibility to do them or skip them as we wish (I am already all set with writing, videos, movies, field trips, etc., lots of fun stuff). Is this set up so that you could just do the reading and review; the other stuff is just icing? I hope that question makes sense -- it's late. :001_smile:

Good American history spines seem to be hard to come by. We have used AAH, the Story of US, and The Drama of American History (which has a fairly liberal political slant and may be what was referred to in the pp). We used them together, chronologically but that was with me guiding and reading out loud, not them reading on their own.

If you just want a review of US history and already have movies and activities lined up then the other AAH books are completely optional. The student activity book is fill in the blanks, match ups, true false, some full sentence answers, maps to label. The teacher's guide has ideas for research papers, answers to the activity books, movie suggestions, book suggestions, family activities but it is all pretty generic. We used the worksheets but none of the rest of it, really. AAH is definitely a textbook though. It is a little bit dry for us but has good information. There are a few black and white pictures on the sides but nothing particularly distracting or exciting.

The Hakim books are a lot more conversational and narrative and you can buy worksheets and teacher's guides to go along with them if you want more. They do have a slightly public schooly and not socially conservative feel to them but it never bothered us really. It is pretty mainstream history told as a story. They are better, in our experience, read to yourself and kind of explored. There are a lot of sidebars and tangents and plenty of pictures.

The Drama of American History is more plain than the Hakim books - fewer pictures and a little more philosophical. It has very few dates, names and the like.

ETA: Just went back to look at your op to make sure I actually answered the questions and I wanted to add, if you are just looking for a spine, I would use Story of US - the AAH books are BIG and full of details. Each book is about 500 pages and is supposed to be a full years curriculum each. The first book ends mid-1800's and the second book picks up at the Civil War.

Edited by jcooperetc

We used Walsh Power Basics. My dd enjoys workbooks and this worked great for us. We also used "The History of US" DVD's ordered from the History Channel. This curriculum stands alone nicely but can easily be embellished with extra reading material, ie biographies.

I just ordered All American History; I think this is just right -- easy to read, reinforcement activities, good overview, not too busy, but leaves us lots of time for all of the other fun things I have lined up. I had not heard of this before, so thank you for the idea!

I looked up everything everyone suggested, and I appreciate your help so much. There were lots of good ideas, and it was hard to decide. Since I started out with *no* ideas, this was great. :001_smile:

Thanks again.

Wendy

P.S. In case anyone's interested, the "other fun things" I have planned for our 2 years of American History (with government added year 1, economics added year 2) are:

- Teaching Co dvd's "Early American History" (Linwood Thompson in character)

- most of the Sonlight novels for AH

- Drive-Thru History dvd's

- Picturing America (art appreciation)

- IEW USH-based writing lessons

- As many great old movies as I can find

- Notebooking and mapping

- Rick Green's constitution course

- a trip this year to Colonial Williamsburg & Jamestown & Monticello

- a trip next year to Washington D.C. & Mount Vernon

- and whatever else I can think of to make it fun.

Can you suggest a US History spine for dd15? She enjoys reading and history, but needs an "easy reading" spine, something 6th-grade-ish.

Long story short: foster care, public school, lack of parenting, fast forward, adoption, making great strides, wonderful kid, needs grace in the area of reading difficulty level. :)

We will be doing lots of supplementing with videos, activities, projects trips, etc. Just haven't found the right narrative to use for a spine. Help?

Thanks!!

Wendy

History of US by Joy Hakim! ;)

I second Hakim for pure enjoyment. Sure, some of it leans left and Sonlight does tend to get on a soapbox about things, but I used it as an opportunity for Critical Thinking discussions. It's not as "rigorous" as a high school text would be, but it's much more interesting than most of them, and if she knows the content in these books, she will be well versed in American history.

We have been able to listen to the audio of these books for free from NetLibrary through our library system. If this is available to you, it might be worth a check to see if your library has chosen the series as part of their subscription. NetLibrary is a wonderful resource for educational audio!

Good Luck,

PameLA in VA

America's Last Best Hope: Volume I and II by William Bennett (I know, his character is lacking--errare est humanum!)

These books are a very engaging U S History curriculum. There are even teacher's guides, tests, etc. to go with them. I think that they might be just what the doctor ordered: perfect for a more mature student who needs a relatively easy read. The narrative is a lot like Hakim but without all the pictures and in just 2 thick volumes, rather than 10.

Information about the curriculum and samples can be seen

here.