Menu

Rash guards/UPF shirts for fair-skinned kids

I can't believe I've never used one before as my son is extremely fair-skinned, but this summer, he's going to camp for two weeks without me, and he will need some protection that I can't provide for him with applying sunblock.

And he's 14 years old, so I know asking other people to sunblock his back for him is "embarrassing". ;)

If you've used a rash guard or UPF shirt before, answer me a couple of questions if you would please"

1. Do they need sunblock underneath them?

2. What's the best quality shirt to get? I was thinking Land's End, but thought I'd check here to see what everyone's opinions are.

I am very nervous about him getting sunburned. He is nearly albino, and he's only been to a 2 day camp without me or his dad when he was 8 years old. So I'm a little hesitant about this summer. But at 14, I have to learn to start letting go, right? :scared:

We all use LE rashguards. They work well for all of us and we range from "fried to a crisp in 15 minutes" to "won't burn even after 2 hours on the beach". The LE rash guards last a couple of years of weekly use. I've also got some boys' rashguards from Target and Old Navy and haven't noticed any difference in sun protection or durability (or much difference in price if you wait for the LE sale). But, LE has rashguards for everyone and they have a good selection of matching bottoms.

We use Rash guards shirts from Land's End. They hold up very well.

I have severe sun allergies and need the coverage. My children do not but we all prefer the rash guards now.

I do not put lotion under their rash guards but I do under mine.

My daughter wears a tankini under her rash guard.

I bought a longsleeve rash guard from Old Navy last week for my very fair little guy. His back and shoulders sunburned through it. :glare:

DId it actually say "Rash Guard"? I found some cool looking shirts for dd that I thought were rash guard at Old Navy and Target, but after reading the tags I realized they were just cool looking surfer type shirts. Nothing indicated they had SPF even thugh they looked just like the SPF shirts and were way cheaper. I bought from Land's End after that.

We have been buying the ones from Lands End for 5 or 6 years now. We love them. My son prefers the long sleeve because he hates the lotion so you may ask your child for his preference. Sometimes they fit differently so you might want to order 2 sizes. The one that doesn't fit you can return to Sears without any problem.

Right now LE is having a big summer sale so hopefully you can get them cheaper. Also check out their outlet online for more sales.

I don't think the brand matters too much -- we've gotten them at REI, Target, and Costco. Make sure it specifies a 50+ UPF protection and FEEL the fabric. Some are really stiff with no stretch (yuck) and some seem too thin or the neck is too tight/high. A comfy shirt gets worn. :D

We LOVE ours on our toehead kiddos!

We've used rashguards from Old Navy and Target for years and I never put sunscreen on underneath the shirts. I have a glowing-white red-head and we've never had a problem with the parts covered by his rashguard. But I forget the tips of his ears sometimes, poor kid.

No, they don't need sunscreen underneath. We have a few LE and really like them. (Though the reviews for this year are that they're not as good as they used to be. I bought a boys' one a few weeks ago and it's fine. We have a girls' one in the mail, so we'll see) Last year I bought a CWD Kids one for DD. It was good quality (still is, after a summer of use) But really short, so she doesn't feel covered with it when really active. (what kid wants to worry about pulling down their shirt?) DD6 has one from Kohl's this year that seems LE quality. She had a generic one off ebay last year and it wore out. Not as good.

ETA- My gripe this year is that no one seems to make these for infant girls. Who needs them more than a baby? I finally found a Carter;s one on Amazon and it came yesterday. Good quailty. Not really relevant to your situation, but, it's CUTE! Pink plaid. Can't pass up an oppotunity to share cuteness. :D

Edited by Scuff