Menu

URGENT: Toddler fever 100 won't break or ease

We've gave Tylenol at 3 and Ibuprofen at 7. It is currently 9pm and no break in the fever. She vomitted earlier and isn't eating or drinking. To add insult to injury, we pulled a tick out of the cartilidge of her ear at 5:45. I don't know if the symptoms are truly the flu (brother had it on Monday) or if they are related to the tick bite. It was a large tick, not a small deer tick (not likely Lyme disease). We believe the tick was attached for more than 24 hours. The fever not subsiding is making me nervous. The tick upset me. We don't have a pediatrician at the moment (long story) so I can't get anyone to call me back. Urgent Care closed an hour ago. Emergency room or wait until morning are only options. We are talking a 2 year old who needs her sleep so I am not casually waking this kid to go to the ER and have them say, "Well, there isn't much we can do so take her home and keep and eye on her and rotate tylenol and ibuprofen and do your best to keep her hydrated."

Help. Does anyone know any tricks?

In a case like you described, my dd usually ended up dehydrated and needed an I.V. to rehydrate and bring the fever down. For some reason with one of mine, this happened often. A fever and vomiting and she wouldn't drink or eat and she ended up dehydrated several times when she was younger. The I.V. almost always brought an end to the symptoms, no matter what was the initial cause. I don't know anything about the tick. That would worry me too. I would be going to the E.R. if nothing else but for the history of mine w/dehydration.

I did learn over the years that she would take popsicles and drink the syrup from canned peaches when she would refuse or be unable to keep anything else down.

"Well, there isn't much we can do so take her home and keep and eye on her and rotate tylenol and ibuprofen and do your best to keep her hydrated."

:grouphug: I know it's hard not to worry, but this is likely exactly what you will hear. There isn't anything you posted that is particularly worrisome. Let her get some sleep, I think.

Barb

I don't even medicate a fever until 102* so I personally wouldn't do anything more. Tylenol will work for 4-6 hours, so that is worn off. You can try to give her another dose of it if you feel you must get the fever down, but it may not do any good.

A tepid bath (not cool, but lukewarm) can help, but if they shiver at all, take them out. Applying cool cloths under the arm and soles of the feet can help too.

Is the fever 100? If so, I'd definitely wait till morning. Some doctors don't consider it a fever until it reaches 100.4. As long as she's not acting lethargic or anything, I'd probably wait.

Yes, this. A fever of 100 doesn't even make me bat an eye, especially in my youngest (she runs warm). I don't medicate at that level either. The doctor always said it depends more on how they're acting than the number on the thermometer.

Some alternative ways to bring a fever down:

- Soak two hand towels in warm water, wring them out (but not too much), and wrap them lightly around her calves and feet. Try to leave them on for at least an hour. You might even be able to do this without waking her up.

- Short baths in lukewarm water.

My mom used these remedies with me when I was little and I use them with my kids - they've always worked for us. You may need to repeat them every few hours.

Hope your little one feels better soon!

I'm changing my post a bit here.

Given the tick and serious sequelae related to ticks. (Esp pulling it out from her ear so near her brain) I'd take her to the ER now. Ticks are nasty and keep in mind that they also defecate while they suck (there in her ear canal!) so I'd definitely see an M.D. now about this. Can your spouse stay with the 2 year old while you make the trip to the ER? I would want her to see a doctor, and I'd not just trust whomever I'm "transferred to" (via phone) or an ER receptionist or nurse (per phone) to properly relay all the necessary information about the case to the doc (via phone).

If it were just a fever, it'd be different, but the Tick ups the seriousness.

Edited by mhg

A fever is actually there to help fight the virus or bacteria. You hinder the immune system by taking away that tool.

This. I used Tylenol only a couple times in the lives of my 3 dc. If the fever gets too high - over 102, I would use a cool cloth to the forehead just to bring a little comfort to them. It is hard to let the fever remain and so help to fight off the virus/bacteria, but it is best.

I'll try the rags and see if I can pull it off without waking her. We woke her a little bit ago and managed to get her to drink some water (yea!). While we were in there, we took her temp again. It has dropped .4 degrees. Thank you everyone. I am going to wait until morning and keep an eye on her.

Unless my child was achy or uncomfortable, I wouldn't give any medicine. My pediatrician always said not to treat a fever until it was at least 101 degrees. He said to give Acetaminophen for fever 101-102.9 and give Ibuprofen for fever 103 or greater. A fever can spike pretty quickly, so I would check it at least every couple of hours throughout the night. (Gotta love those thermometers that read the temp quickly so you can check it without waking the child!) I don't think I'd be too concerned about the tick. We live in a rural area with a large population of deer and other wildlife. We find ticks on ourselves all the time--I just found one on my leg last week--so I'm not easily alarmed when it comes to ticks.

Edited by ereks mom

Please see my first (editted) post on page 1, but I've cut and pasted this from a web site on tick bites in children:

"Go immediately to a hospital's emergency department if a tick bite causes any of the following:

• fever,
  • headache,
  • confusion,
  • weakness or paralysis,
  • numbness,
  • vomiting,
  • difficulty breathing, or
  • palpitations."

Yes, this. A fever of 100 doesn't even make me bat an eye, especially in my youngest (she runs warm). I don't medicate at that level either. The doctor always said it depends more on how they're acting than the number on the thermometer.

I wouldn't bat an eye either unless I had just pryed a tick (in the heat of summer....Lyme season) from my child's ear. The fever is indicative that the child's body is clearly mounting an immune response to a pathogen that we can infer was MOST likely transmitted to her by a tick.

I'd be on the safe side with this.

The OP mentioned it was a large dog-type tick and that the child's brother was sick with the same symptoms on Monday. Most tick bites are harmless. A middle of the night trip to the emergency room for a tick bite would be an overreaction, IMO.

Regardless OP, I hope your daughter feels better in the morning.

Barb

ETA: Tick infections set in 5-10 days after a bite. So no worries.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Given the size of the tick, and given mgh's posts, I did some research. It appears to have been a Lone Star Tick. The latest CDC says all research shows the Lone Star Tick does not carry or transmit Lyme Disease. They can, however, transmit an infection that would need some oral antibiotics. The good news is this infection has no history of neuromuscular, brain, or other type long term issues. We'll monitor her throughout the night and call the new ped in the morning to have her seen. I needed to get in and meet the new ped anyway. If at any point the fever goes up, I won't hesitate to run to the ER.

Thanks ladies.

Hi LB,

I have had the ped office tell me to alternate every 2 hours between Advil and Tylenol to get fevers down. It has been years since I have had to do this but I do remember it helping. Hope she gets better soon. Btw, the paranoia in me would take her to the ER, especially since there would be NO WAY I would get any sleep until I knew for sure.:grouphug: