Menu

Sub for Mara Daughter of the Nile

michelle l

I'm prereading this right now for next year's SL 6. I was just trying to get a feel for the reading level. However, I'm having trouble getting into it and I don't think it will be a great fit for my boys 5th and 7th. Did you/your kids love this book? Hate it? What is a good substitute for those who didn't like it?

I loved this book as a kid, and my DD loved it as a 5th or 6th grader; I forget which. It starts VERY slowly. My suggestion is to give it more of a chance.

"The Golden Goblet" by the same author is also good, and doesn't have the romance element, but I think that although it is more engaging at the start, Mara is better overall.

Golden Goblet doesn't work as a substitute, it is already included in Core 6 along with Mara. We all loved Mara. Dd enjoyed how smart she was, ds (6th grade at the time) enjoyed the espionage. He didn't like the romance aspect at the end, but was willing to overlook it because she almost died which made it cool.:lol:

Well, she just met the princess, and it is maybe starting to pick up a little. I'm just not sure we'll make it through the first few chapters though. I wish she had just cut to the chase in the beginning.

I'm not sure if I'll use it or not, but appreciate hearing all the thoughts on it.

For the record, we LOVED Nathaniel Bowditch. Go figure.;)

Well, she just met the princess, and it is maybe starting to pick up a little. I'm just not sure we'll make it through the first few chapters though. I wish she had just cut to the chase in the beginning.

I'm not sure if I'll use it or not, but appreciate hearing all the thoughts on it.

For the record, we LOVED Nathaniel Bowditch. Go figure.;)

It took a bit for us to get into it, too. I read aloud to my advanced 2nd grader since she LOVES historical fiction. I did have to edit part of it that I thought was inappropriate for her age (all romantic stuff). Very suspenseful towards the end. We thought it should be a movie almost!

BUT having said that, I'm not sure my son when he's old enough would like it unless I edited out even more of the romance. Glad to hear others' boys like it though. I won't rule it out.

Haven't tried the other book...can't wait to get it. :)