Menu

WWE... student pages pdf or regular student pages or make copies?

staceyobu

I currently have three kids and would like to reuse the things that I purchase now with the younger two. What is my best bet with WWE? Is it easier to just buy the print workbook and copy the pages? Buy a print workbook and extra copies of student pages when the younger get to this level? Or buy the pdf student pages and print them off?

In general, I have a hard time with stuff on the computer. I don't want to have to read instructions off of the screen, I'd rather have the hard copy. But, I don't mind printing pages off. But then when I think of all that paper and ink, I think maybe it's better to just buy an extra set??

I think that really depends on how much it costs for you to print a page at home. My printer costs me about $.02 per page to print. I also have 3 kids and buy as much as possible PDF. I love to be able to re-print a sheet to if my kids want to start over.

I prefer to print the PDF's as I need them, just so I don't have to store the books somewhere. Storage space is at a premium here! And if we decide to skip a lesson for some reason, those printed pages in the book don't go to waste, because we never print them in the first place! You can always print double sided or half-size (two pages per piece of paper) if you want to save paper and ink, or print in fast-draft mode if you wish to save on ink.

Jen

http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/

The lines were never the right sizes for my kids. We just use our own paper. Mostly the student pages are just blank lines.

My kids also found it helpful that I would write the copywork out. In the workbook it is smaller and floating above the student lines. They really needed those letters on the lines at first.

I loved having the pdf version. I hate scanning stuff. I printed the teacher's portion two sheets to a page, double-sided with our laser printer. Then I printed the kid's pages with what they needed every 9 weeks. I think it was definitely cheaper and much easier for me than buying the workbooks and making copies.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is getting stale, but I was just trying to figure out the same thing. We will begin WWE on August 1st, and I would like to be able to use the pages again. Trying to decide between pdf and printed student pages. I have a lot of storage space, so that is not an issue. Just wondering if the cost of printing them two more times (possibly more) is better or worse than buying the pages again.

Anyone else have suggestions or thoughts?

I have always cut the binding off the book, scanned the pages, saved them on my hard drive, then printed them as needed in subsequent years. My printer/scanner has an automatic document feed, and that simplifies the process tremendously!

For WWE1, I bought the hard copy workbook from Amazon, then bought the student pages PDF ($9.50?). That way, I could print whatever I wanted AND I had the benefit of reading from a book in my hands. Best of both worlds. :D

For WWE2, I just got the printed book, and I'll do Startwrite pages. The lines are too big for DS to have neat handwriting. I had to remake the WWE1 pages also, though I used the pictures from the student pages so they were prettier. I'm not getting the student pages for 2 since the pictures aren't worth $9.50 to me.

I have done both and the next time we do WWE I will purchase the student pages. Just makes life more easier. I have come to the conclusion, for our family it isn't worth the money saved to print student pages from a file. Also the way I read the copying conditions in the front of WWE, you can copy the pages for your family only, not to keep the book whole so you can resell it.

I buy the workbook and copy any pages we need.

This is what I do for now.

For me having the PDF seems to make sense because I have a laser printer. BUT I was able to get the wb's for really good price. The problem with that is my copy machine is a INK hogging HP. I'd much prefer the PDF so I can use my laser printer and not my ink hogging HP.

The lines were never the right sizes for my kids. We just use our own paper. Mostly the student pages are just blank lines.

This is what we do too. I bought the composition books at Target and the kids use those for their work. It is neat for them to go through the notebooks to see how they have progressed through the years. Handwriting at the beginning of the year:confused: vs. at the end :001_smile:.

Lesley

I bought the hard copy workbook, tore out the student pages and made copies. Put the 'master' copy in a file folder to save for other dc; the last dc to use WWE1 will just use that copy.

This way, it was easier to copy wherever I find the cheapest prices (I am trying out filing this year and didn't really want to do the entire thing at once on our HP officejet :tongue_smilie:) and it takes away any temptation I might have to re-sell the workbook when we're done. ;)

This is something we have debated about. It really depends on how much you pay for your paper and ink AND your printer quality! Right now we are using non-mfr inks and there is a huge quality difference (I think it is the printer, not the cartridges :confused:), but we get the cartridges cheap so only pay like $40 for a 10 piece set ($4 a piece) The cartridges can print the same number of pages as the manufacturer ink cartridges. Oh, and a 10 piece set of the manufacturer cartridges would cost over $100. I think it is closer to $150.

I also buy paper when it is cheap. For example, the last time I bought paper, I bought an entire case. The case is normally like $46.99 at Staples, I used a competitors 40% off coupon (from office max), and then paid like $27. Then, Staples offered a $24 Easy Rebate, so I got a whole case of paper for only $2!

So, to print a single piece of paper I pay: $0.008 (for ink) + $0.0004 (for paper): Total: $0.0084! So, less than a penny a sheet.

If I bought manufacturer ink, and paid full price for paper, my cost would be: $25.99 for a single black ink cartridge (so $0.05198) and paper at $46.99 ($0.009398) so, that equals $0.061379 per sheet of paper.

WWE 1 Workbook is 297 pages, so the cost would be: $18.23 to print every single page in the workbook. with no discounts on ink or paper. Using my "deal" scenarion, for 297 pages, I would pay only $2.50 to print the entire book in ink and paper costs!

The printed workbook costs $34.95, and the download PDF costs $27.95. You do the math and figure out which one is the best option. :)

I have always cut the binding off the book, scanned the pages, saved them on my hard drive, then printed them as needed in subsequent years. My printer/scanner has an automatic document feed, and that simplifies the process tremendously!

Nice! I wish I had a better printer to do this with, but still might. I was going to just let my son use the pages that came with the workbook and then have my daughter do it on regular paper. I bought the WWE text for future years, so in the future my son will be using all his own paper anyway.

I plan on buying the PDFs and printing them. With our inexpensive laser printer, generic toner, and crazy cheap printer paper from Back-to-School sales it will always be cheaper for me to buy and print for multiple children than otherwise (like less than a penny per page).