Menu

Stemless wine glasses?

I love them. I woudn't use them for a more "formal" dinner setting, but I use them as I drink a glass of wine while making supper, or casual drinks with friends. They go into my dishwasher, are much more stable then stemmed glasses. Only two "considerations", you can't attach the wine glass charms which do come in handy on occassion, and they seem to hold more wine than a standard stemmed glass :D

also known as tumblers... :lol:

we have a bunch of them and I like them. My friend just gave me a pretty set that she found at Ikea. I like that they fit in the dishwasher and I like their "casual-elegant" look. Our favorite restaurant uses them too.

I am not a wine afficianado (sp?) by any means, but I thought the purpose of the stem on wine glasses was so that the body heat from the hand would not change the temperature of the wine. Going on this assumption, the stemless wine glasses have always made me go :confused:.

I am not a wine afficianado (sp?) by any means, but I thought the purpose of the stem on wine glasses was so that the body heat from the hand would not change the temperature of the wine. Going on this assumption, the stemless wine glasses have always made me go :confused:.

I'm not sure it matters with my glass of Two-Buck Chuck or box of Merlot :lol:.

I'm a fan of "tumblers" :D.

A great bottle of wine does not have to be expensive!!

I love my stemless ones for butter Chardonnay. I swear they taste better out of those glasses than the narrows with stem I use for reds.

And an "expensive" bottle for us is maybe $10. :)

A great bottle of wine does not have to be expensive!!

I love my stemless ones for butter Chardonnay. I swear they taste better out of those glasses than the narrows with stem I use for reds.

And an "expensive" bottle for us is maybe $10. :)

Same here, $10-$20. Tell me about your butter Chardonnay.

I think they are fun for casual settings. I would strongly advise against them for more expensive wines, formal tastings and/or dinners. They hold fingerprints easily and do change the temperature, and therefore the profile, of the wine. :) As far as a buttery chardonnay, William Hill is fantastic for the price.

Same here, $10-$20. Tell me about your butter Chardonnay.

Cupcake is good. So is Barefoot.

And there is another that is great, but for the life of me all I can see is the gold bottle with a cream label that says Butter in fancy print across it. I can't remember the rest!

Been a while since I had any. Baby due any day.

The wider barrel shaped wine glass, which is typical of stemless, let's it breath more and brings the smell straight to you as you sip - in theory this makes it more flavorful than the more narrow wine glasses.

But be careful! My stemless glasses hold more than what my other wine glasses hold but don't look like it. Filling my other glasses, I get about 4-5 glasses per bottle. Filling the stemless the same way (1/2 to 2/3 full) I might only get 2-3 glasses per bottle. Those stemless glasses are deceptively large! I fill mine slightly under 1/4 full and that is almost a to the rim filling of my other wine glasses.

We had a private wine tasting in Healdsburg, CA., in the winter. We were taken by the guy who grows and makes his wine into their private wine cave (with a gorgeous tasting room) to sample his $60-$130 bottles.

He used the stemless glasses.

Know what he said?

"I just like these better". Nothing scientific, or snobbishy :) He just liked them.