Menu

Foreign language quandry with 1 year left of high school!

I have 2 rising seniors who (will) have taken 4 years of ASL. But now I'm in a panic because while some colleges accept ASL, others seem less certain ("well, since you homeschool we can evaluate it on a case-by-case basis"). I just don't want the lack of more "traditional" foreign language to put them in a "maybe" category. I think the ASL is nice because it is different, and they are just beginning to do some ASL tutoring as well. But....

They did work on Spanish (largely Rosetta Stone) before high school, so I think they could refresh their memories pretty quickly, work on grammar and such, and get up to speed on a Spanish I this summer. They still remember stuff from then, I know, so it's doable. Then next year they could do Spanish II.

They also have a strong interest separately in Japanese and Korean and have worked on learning both in their spare time, largely from Internet sources and pop music. But obviously Spanish is a little more intuitive coming from English as their first language.

What do you think? What would you do?

And then any program recommendations? We still have that old version 2 Rosetta Stone which they could use... or maybe Visual Link... or maybe just some books and readers and such.

Panicked and confused.... :confused:

Ответственный экзамен. Сегодня и суток мы не можем прожить без возможности помощи и содействия со стороны одноклассников, близких друзей, родителей и учителей. Мы просто вынуждены пользоваться сторонними материалами, хитро подключать гарнитуры и умело списываться.

Seriously!? At least it's foreign language --> :spam:

Sorry -- just thought that was funny. And now it has disappeared. ;)

Stacey, if my students were interested in Japanese and Korean, and had the initiative to study it on their own, I would be all over that, instead of Rosetta Stone Spanish. Seems like it would be far more rewarding, and far more interesting on a high school transcript. I would spend the same amount of time this summer on those two languages that you had planned for Spanish, and then accelerate right into a second year of both.

Edited by Brigid in NC

I am in this boat too. My dd is a junior next year and has a heavy load already scheduled with online classes. I was excited to find out that one semester at college (cc is fine:) ) is equivalent to one year high school, so they could do a foreign lanquage both semesters of senoir year and that would be totally acceptable. You may still be able to find a local summer class that has not started yet?

I think we are going to do 2nd semseter junior year and first semester senior year of Spanish, otherwise we will have to do both senior year as well. She has done some Latin and Hebrew, but not enough to count for two years of high school

HTH,

Kathy

I have no personal experience with this, so take this with a grain of salt :D

When I was considering ASL for high school foreign language, I called my top colleges and spoke with them. They said the reason they considered ASL on a case-by-case basis was because foreign language is not just about the spoken (or signed language in this case), but the culture, the literature, etc.

If I were you, I think I'd put together a "ASL literature/cultural" course and then tell the top colleges what you are doing. We don't have a large ASL community there, but I would think if you did where you lived, they'd be more than happy to help you learn their "culture".

For literature selections, maybe choose books written by the deaf or those about the struggles they face, just like any other culture, KWIM?

HTH, or at least gave you some ideas! :001_smile:

A different spin:

A homeschooling friend of mine with 8 students, 5 of whom are graduated, and so she has a lot of experience and a very pragmatic approach to college admissions, says, "There are SO many schools out there; they are competing for MY dollars. If they make it more difficult with more hoops to jump or are "uncertain" about our home schooling credits/transcript, we cross THEM off of OUR list. Not worth the extra effort when there are so many quality institutions out there who would be happy to have our tuition money and are happy to work WITH us."

re: Rosetta Stone

Most states only allow credits completed in high school to count, so the Rosetta Stone Spanish 1 done in middle school most likely would not be counted. Additionally, the way Rosetta Stone is set up, you need to complete both level 1 AND level 2 to count as ONE year of HIGH SCHOOL credit.

re: a different foreign language

Our state also counts a 4-unit one semester community college class as worth 1-year of high school credit, so the 2 semesters of dual enrollment older DS did at community college in his senior year translated to 2 years high school credit on the transcript AND as 2 semesters of college credit. Perhaps your local community college offers the language of choice for your students, and your state counts the coursework similarly? Plus, that would give your students a college transcript for those classes, to include in your admissions process, which moves them from "questionable homeschooler" status to "desireable high-achieving student who did college level courses while still in high school".

BEST of luck in finding what works best for your students! Warmest regards, Lori D.

If I were you, I think I'd put together a "ASL literature/cultural" course and then tell the top colleges what you are doing. We don't have a large ASL community there, but I would think if you did where you lived, they'd be more than happy to help you learn their "culture".

For literature selections, maybe choose books written by the deaf or those about the struggles they face, just like any other culture, KWIM?

Thanks, Stephanie. They have studied culture and literature and such, so we do feel it is complete in that sense. But I suppose I should make extra efforts to highlight that on the course descriptions or transcript. Thanks!

Good thoughts, Lori, thank you. I'm pretty sure our older version of Rosetta Stone Level 1 is more like the version 3 levels 1+2. At least I remember thinking that when I first saw the "upgrade" and what each level covered. But I should look into that more. We do have a cc nearby so maybe that would be an option too. Although their schedules are so full I'm not sure that a regularly scheduled class could fit into the mix. But good thoughts-- thanks! :)

Have you looked into Concordia Villages? It is a residential program in Minnesota that offers summer language immersion camps. Their high school camps can cover a year of high school language in 4 weeks, if the kids do the optional written work as well as the immersion experience.

I have a friend whose two daughters have learned a great deal of French in their elementary school program. Her older daughter is now attending an exclusive boarding school. A friend of hers finished first year French at the school, attended Concordia Villages over the summer, and returned to place into the third year HONORS French class at the same school, which she is leading. So the quality is significant and documentable.

I don't know whether it is feasible to take two months to cover two years worth of a modern language, but certainly one month for one year plus some study next year would total a very reasonable two year course of study.

I agree with the other poster that you might want to steer your kids towards schools that are more welcoming to homeschoolers. Also, I don't think you can count brushing up on middle school Spanish over the summer as a high school credit. Is community college an option?

As far as Japanese, it does require a fair bit of work, since it involves three different new writing systems (hiragana, katakana, and kanji). I'm not sure if your kids could get through two credits between now and next spring. (Although since they're motivated, a community college might be perfect.)

I'd hate to see all their hard work at ASL go unrecognized, though, as it will likely open some doors for them if they continue on. If you document the cultural study, as well as the fact that they're actually beginning to teach others, that may help schools to accept it as a foreign language.

Wendi

if my students were interested in Japanese and Korean, and had the initiative to study it on their own, I would be all over that, instead of Rosetta Stone Spanish. Seems like it would be far more rewarding, and far more interesting on a high school transcript.

Hmm... interesting point. There are just SO MANY resources for Spanish so it seems more attainable. But, hmm....

I have 2 rising seniors who (will) have taken 4 years of ASL. But now I'm in a panic because while some colleges accept ASL, others seem less certain ("well, since you homeschool we can evaluate it on a case-by-case basis"). I just don't want the lack of more "traditional" foreign language to put them in a "maybe" category. I think the ASL is nice because it is different, and they are just beginning to do some ASL tutoring as well. But....

They did work on Spanish (largely Rosetta Stone) before high school, so I think they could refresh their memories pretty quickly, work on grammar and such, and get up to speed on a Spanish I this summer. They still remember stuff from then, I know, so it's doable. Then next year they could do Spanish II.

They also have a strong interest separately in Japanese and Korean and have worked on learning both in their spare time, largely from Internet sources and pop music. But obviously Spanish is a little more intuitive coming from English as their first language.

What do you think? What would you do?

And then any program recommendations? We still have that old version 2 Rosetta Stone which they could use... or maybe Visual Link... or maybe just some books and readers and such.

Panicked and confused.... :confused:

My ds took Japanese at the local CC. As previously mentioned, each CC semester will be 1 year high school credit.

I would definitely have your children continue with ASL. If they also choose to add Korean to their studies, they might be interested to learn about the

National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y)

"The State Department’s National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) provides merit-based scholarships to U.S. high school students and recent graduates interested in learning less-commonly studied foreign languages.

Eligibility Requirements

All applicants must be:

* A U.S. citizen who is currently enrolled in or just graduated from high school;

* 15-to-18.5 years old at the start of the program;

* have a minimum GPA of 2.5.

Languages Offered

There are seven languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Korean, Persian, Russian and Turkish."

Regards,

Kareni

ASL, is American Sign Language. It's American. It's not foreign. So, yes, some colleges might have an issue with calling it a "foreign" language.

Colleges would probably be more interested in someone who is really interested and excited about learning Japanese or Korean than just another Spanish student. Spanish is very common among college applicants, so it doesn't make the application stand out. And it is the language that slackers take because it has a reputation of being easy. Plus, your children will learn more if they are learning what they are interested in.

I would highly suggest getting a tutor, rather than using Rosetta Stone. We had bad experiences with Rosetta Stone and didn't learn much. You learn 10 times more with a tutor. If cost is an issue, you can have the tutor come less often (once/month instead of once/week) and have your dc work mostly independently. Or, since your children are old enough, they could work to pay for their Korean or Japanese lessons.

A once/month tutor for a year would cost about the same as Rosetta Stone, but your children would learn 10 times more. But, a more intensive language class would be much better. Colleges like to see real fluency, not just a little bit of a language, like most students do.

As homeschoolers, there is no reason you have to stick with just learning "first year foreign language". You can do a cram course and learn in a year what others learn in 3 or 4 years. It's up to you.

Best wishes.

I would definitely have your children continue with ASL. If they also choose to add Korean to their studies, they might be interested to learn about the

National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y)

"The State Department’s National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) provides merit-based scholarships to U.S. high school students and recent graduates interested in learning less-commonly studied foreign languages.

Eligibility Requirements

All applicants must be:

* A U.S. citizen who is currently enrolled in or just graduated from high school;

* 15-to-18.5 years old at the start of the program;

* have a minimum GPA of 2.5.

Languages Offered

There are seven languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Korean, Persian, Russian and Turkish."

Regards,

Kareni

Karen, Have you used this? My 12 yod is very linguistically inclined. By the time she is 15, she will be ready for AP Latin and French. This looks like an interesting way to add a third language for her.

Thanks for the link.....but I would love to hear personal experiences if you have any.

I'd be interested to know which colleges are causing you trouble about ASL, if you'd care to share.

ASL, although it has "American" in its name, is actually another language. The word order isn't even the same a good part of the time. Unless you've been doing Signed English, which is another beast: http://www.listen-up.org/sign2.htm

Spanish isn't necessarily for slackers, and I think most colleges do know that. With a large Hispanic population in the US, many colleges do recognize that it can be a useful language to know. (And frankly, my experience was that French is easier. The spelling of French might look more daunting to an English speaker, but once you know the rules, it falls into place.)

Yes, you can count middle school Spanish on the high school transcript, particularly if the student goes on to do more in high school. It's the same as counting Algebra 1 that was done in middle school.

If it were me, and my kids already had 4 yrs of ASL, I'd just go with that. If it's only admissions that you're talking about, I think the colleges will be likely to back down and accept it as a high school language, as long as you present it well. However, what they may really be saying is that while they'll admit a student with ASL, that may never fulfill the college language requirement once they're there. So your kids might need to take another language once they're at college. This is a bit of a disadvantage over kids who can place out of the language requirement, but it's not that big of a deal. Your kids could start now on an "acceptable" language (in order to place out of the language requirement faster) or they could just do it once they get to college.

But if your kids want to learn another language, by all means, encourage it! (But be aware that many schools have no way of assessing competence in languages like Japanese -- in other words, if your kids do Japanese, they may run into the same problem of not being ahead of the game with the language requirement.)

A totally random page on deaf culture that popped up when I googled:

http://www.michdhh.org/asl_deaf_culture/deaf_culture.html

Edited by emubird

I did a little internet research and found that many colleges do accept ASL as a foreign language. And for the ones that don't, the reason is that some only accept written foreign languages as meeting the foreign language requirement. They likewise don't accept some Native American languages (but not all) or other languages that don't have a written form.

Anyway, I do think ASL is great. I live in a community with a large deaf population.

I also think that Japanese or Korean would look interesting on a college application. Stands out from the crowd. But the important part, I think is if you follow your passion, you will learn more.

Putting multiple foreign languages on the college application is great. However, colleges prefer it if you can demonstrate real fluency in a language, such as your children doing ASL interpretation for people on either a paid or volunteer basis.

If you want to do spanish, I'd use Getting Started with Spanish over the summer as a basic primer. (It's very straightforward, will go quickly for them, but it also covers a lot of fundamental grammar concepts that will make anything else easier.) There are 200 lessons (+/-) and a motivated high schooler could easily do 4 to 8 lessons a day in under an hour.

After GSWS, I'd consider So You Really Want to Learn Spanish by Galore Park, as it has worked very well for us. If you really want to get through "Year 2", then I'd still start with Year 1 and just schedule it so that they complete Level 1 in 3-4 months and then spend the remainder of the year in Level 2. After all, some high schools use block scheduling to cover an entire year's course in a semester, so I'd think a motivated high schooler with some back ground could do so without great difficulty.

My much younger kids have easily managed to complete a level each year by me scheduling one exercise each day 5 days a week, so you could similarly schedule 2 (or 3) exercises daily (along with vocab practice on quizlet or a similar flashcard program) and get through both levels.

Karen, Have you used this? My 12 yod is very linguistically inclined. By the time she is 15, she will be ready for AP Latin and French. This looks like an interesting way to add a third language for her.

Thanks for the link.....but I would love to hear personal experiences if you have any.

No, I do not have any first hand experience though I do recall reading about the program on the Yahoo group hs2coll and College Confidential. My daughter has a friend who is participating in the adult program this summer. Said friend flew to Korea last night.

Regards,

Kareni