Menu

s/o pots and pans... cast iron..

Now ladies don't flambe me but what is so great about a cast iron skillet? I have never used one but I remember my mom using one (when I was little). All I remember if her using it was that it seemed everything stuck to it.

So what's so great about them?

Oh and are you really not supposed to "wash" them?

What I like about mine is that it can go from the stovetop to the oven. I'll often brown something for a few minutes than put it in the oven, and I don't have to worry about anything melting.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't had any problems with sticking. I re-season every now and then. Some people don't wash their iron pans at all (just a salt scrub), some use just water, some use soap. I'll use a small amount of gentle dishsoap if I've cooked something especially..distinctive (don't want my Dutch Baby tasting too much like broiled salmon), and I haven't had a problem.

Aside from omelets and crepes, just about everything gets cooked in the Lodge skillet around here. If I had to get rid of all pans but one, it's the one I'd keep.

I';ll go.

If they are seasoned and treated well, then sticking is not a huge issue, but still one compared to teflon stuff.

what I like most about cast iron is the iron......it sort of fortifies the food.

I also like that I can put a casserole or a meatloaf or corn bread (my favorite!!!!) and cook it inside the oven.

They will never, ever wear out.

I think you are not suppose to use soap technically and most of the time I don't, but every so once in awhile I cheat a bit if I didn't wash it right away, which is key....washing them right away. I always dry them on low on the burner because rust is an issue and put a bit of oil or such in the pan before storing.

I seriously use mine for almost all of my cooking.

However, for glass cooktops beware....my mom dropped her castiron and broke her new stove.

It took my husband years to convince me, but I really do love them now.

If seasoned and cared for properly, it is easy to use and clean. I saw an episode of one of Christopher Kimball's shows on PBS and he showed how to easily clean it. I can't remember exactly what he did, but we use oil, coarse salt, and a paper towel. I could be confusing it with how Alton Brown does it, too. One of his episodes showed how to season and care for them. I think he made steaks in that episode, and my husband put his foot down. We have cast iron.

We just made crepes in one and they turned out great. No sticking. Easy to care for. Some people accept corn bread in no other pan.

I'm happy with them!:001_smile:

1) While cast-iron is not a great conductor of heat (initially) it is thick and once up to temperature holds a very even heat across the whole pan.

2) It is very inexpensive relative to other options (especially options that are thick and have the good even distribution of heat).

3) The pans are sturdy and if well cared for will last generations.

4) When properly seasoned cast iron is almost non-stick. Any scrapings from the surface of the pans adds iron to ones diet. In contrast Teflon and other non-stick surfaces are a cause of concern because they too come off in food and this is worrisome.

5) Cast iron is versatile. It can be used at very high and very low heat. One can "fry" stove-top, put them in an oven, or even use them in a campfire.

Cast iron is good stuff.

Bill

Aside from omelets and crepes, just about everything gets cooked in the Lodge skillet around here. If I had to get rid of all pans but one, it's the one I'd keep.

I think I posted at the same time as you as I just saw your post. Well, we did do crepes and they went ok in our skillet. Haven't tried omelets, though! I definitely agree, we'd only keep our cast iron, too!

I'd never heard that one isn't supposed to put soap on them until someone mentioned it here a few months ago. Mine are 14 years old, well seasoned and washed in hot soapy water. Other than not "soaking" overnight in the sink or putting in the dishwasher I've never babied my cast iron.

They are the best thing to cook just about everything. They go camping with me too.

I have at least a dozen cast iron skillets in various sizes, as well as all sorts of other pots and pans like the corn cob shapes, ebelskiver, dutch oven, etc. They're fantastic. I don't baby mine either, and am as likely to use soap as not. Spaghetti sauce, roasts, fried anything, corn bread, omelets, pancakes, stews, everything cooks in cast iron. I have a recipe for salmon that involves heating an inch of coarse salt until it starts smoking - this can only be done in cast iron.

My husband bought me a double-sided cast iron griddle for Christmas. I already had two cast iron pans, but the griddle is my baby. It came preseasoned and has taken me no time at all to get the use of it down to a fine art. Fish, steak, eggs, pancakes, bacon, hamburgers, tortillas... you name it, if it'll work on the griddle, I use it. I scrub it in hot water, oil it and let it dry on the stove. I honestly don't know how I lived before I had it... OK, I do, but it involved a lot more scrubbing of pans!

I'm not using them anymore but I used to love them! I read that men have more heart issues because their iron is higher due to lack of monthly stuff going on. I don't have monthly stuff going on due to an endocrine disorder and my iron is fairly high. Oops! So I quit with the cast iron stuff. They are wonderful and non stick though if you care for them correctly.

It is "non stick" without using weird chemical teflon that can flake off in your food. You don't have to worry about scratching it using the wrong utensils. It conducts heat VERY evenly, so no hot spots. The one we have was my husbands before we got married. When he had it it got stuff built up on it, food stuck, whatever. Now it is my domain, lol. I soak it in water after using it, then wipe it out. I have no issues with food sticking, and I think the biggest factor is I only use butter, animal fat, or olive oil in it. He used pam spray, canola oil, etc and those leave a residue after a while. Also, i keep it out on the stove at all times, so it dries well. He kept it in the cabinet and it did tend to rust.

I think I posted at the same time as you as I just saw your post. Well, we did do crepes and they went ok in our skillet. Haven't tried omelets, though! I definitely agree, we'd only keep our cast iron, too!

Well, now I'm inspired to try crepes in the iron pan! I'm not too good with crepes under the best of conditions, though, so this could get ugly. :)

I have at least a dozen cast iron skillets in various sizes, as well as all sorts of other pots and pans like the corn cob shapes, ebelskiver, dutch oven, etc. They're fantastic. I don't baby mine either, and am as likely to use soap as not. Spaghetti sauce, roasts, fried anything, corn bread, omelets, pancakes, stews, everything cooks in cast iron. I have a recipe for salmon that involves heating an inch of coarse salt until it starts smoking - this can only be done in cast iron.

Um, RECIPE!!!!!!

I'm not using them anymore but I used to love them! I read that men have more heart issues because their iron is higher due to lack of monthly stuff going on. I don't have monthly stuff going on due to an endocrine disorder and my iron is fairly high. Oops! So I quit with the cast iron stuff. They are wonderful and non stick though if you care for them correctly.

I do believe this is an old wives tale.

Um, RECIPE!!!!!!

Ha! It's really nothing. Pour an inch of coarse salt into the skillet, heat it slowly until the salt starts smoking. Put salmon fillets skin side down on the salt. Cooking time depends on thickness of fillets, of course, and I split the cooking time about in half for uncovered then covered with foil. And I have done covered first. I don't remember any more which order is correct. :tongue_smilie: Apparently this technique works with beef too, but I've never tried it.

Speaking of fires...

I got my dad a cast-iron grill for his birthday last year. He'd asked for a grill, because he was sick of the buggy one he had, so I did some research before joining together with my siblings to get him a Lodge Logic hibachi grill. "Wow, that sounds heavy," you may be thinking, and it is, a little, but not much more than any other charcoal grill, really. What it is is *tiny.*

But my dad loves it. He's cooked the usual hot dogs, hamburgers, and kebabs, but also chicken and steaks. What he really likes about the cast iron part of it is that the entire grill surface is evenly hot, so you don't have to keep moving things around, and you can use all of the surface. He really doesn't mind the "tiny" thing at all.

The only downside to this grill is probably that it can't get wet. That doesn't bother my father at all, since it's easy to take inside and store once it's cooled down.

Just thought I'd add my two cents about how that even-heating thing works for more than just griddles!

My husband bought me a double-sided cast iron griddle for Christmas. I already had two cast iron pans, but the griddle is my baby. It came preseasoned and has taken me no time at all to get the use of it down to a fine art. Fish, steak, eggs, pancakes, bacon, hamburgers, tortillas... you name it, if it'll work on the griddle, I use it. I scrub it in hot water, oil it and let it dry on the stove. I honestly don't know how I lived before I had it... OK, I do, but it involved a lot more scrubbing of pans!

I have one of those as well. I love it. I use it everyday.

However... this is in one of the links you gave...

Researchers found that consuming large amounts of iron from meat sources increased the risk of heart disease in men. Total dietary intake of iron was not a factor; only heme-iron, obtained from animal sources, increased the risk. Non-heme iron comes from plant sources. Men frequently eat more red meat than women, which could contribute to their increased risk.

So the pans wouldn't make a difference. However two of the articles didn't make that same distinction... But those same two article said if you donate blood you decrease your risk. So use cast iron because you like it then donate blood periodically to help others and your all set! :D

I am going to keep an eye out for a cast iron pan now, you all have me curious!