Menu

ISO inexpensive phonics readers

I am looking for some good, inexpensive phinics readers to go along with the Explode the Code books. Dd will begin with ETC book's A, B, & C this summer. I expect her to zoom right through them so we will need some good beginning readers for her to use when she gets to book 1. Any suggestions?

The I See Sam books are free online. It's an older reader series from the 70's. Just print.

Or the Progressive Phonics page has free readers where you read along with the child - you just have to register.

Or, you can also find older readers like the McGuffey's readers online free. Or the Rosetta Stone project also has vintage children's books which includes old early readers.

And then there's just your local library. Filled with Frog and Toad, Little Bear, and all their friends.

I second the "I See Sam" books...I taught my son to read using ETC and I See Sam. It is such a nice combo. I then moved on to a couple of the earlier books of AAS just becasue they looked like big kid books and yet they used only short vowel sounds...my son grew in confidence as he was able to read a book like his older siblings.

I second the "I See Sam" books...I taught my son to read using ETC and I See Sam. It is such a nice combo. I then moved on to a couple of the earlier books of AAS just becasue they looked like big kid books and yet they used only short vowel sounds...my son grew in confidence as he was able to read a book like his older siblings.

:iagree:

Primary Phonics readers! My favorite! They are the same publisher as Explode the Code, and tie in very nicely. Several sets available - Use the whole number sets (1, 2, 3, etc.) for a child catching on quickly. If extra practice is needed, toss the "more" sets (1A, 2A, 3A, etc.). These readers are gems because the are so very "decodable", in a way that Bob books are not.

http://www.christianbook.com/of-10-storybooks-for-workbook-1/barbara-makar/9780838883617/pd/836146

The I See Sam books are free online. It's an older reader series from the 70's. Just print.

Or the Progressive Phonics page has free readers where you read along with the child - you just have to register.

Or, you can also find older readers like the McGuffey's readers online free. Or the Rosetta Stone project also has vintage children's books which includes old early readers.

And then there's just your local library. Filled with Frog and Toad, Little Bear, and all their friends.

WOW! I LOVE the Progressive Phonics site! The readers look fun & I love the worksheets too. Thanks so much for the link!

Other than free online ones, I can recommend:

* Happy phonics (phonics games and readers, also has about making your own)

*sonlight Readers - get the appropriate list, and loan from library

* Dr Suess books, there especially is a 4-in-1 volume called "reading is fun" it has - I can read with my eyes shut, hop on pop, and 2 others.

* Bob Books

* Not sure if available in US but Fitzroy Readers.

*Starfall online readers

* Click n Phonics or Smarty Ants can be an online program to work alongside it, these also have "readers" in their games.

Good Luck xxx

:iagree: We are using this combo and it is working great! I've been tempted by the AAS books for the same reason, but they are so expensive. My son is just now starting to be "brave" enough to try other readers, so I will be watching this thread for more suggestions:D.

I was coming on here to tell everyone about the progressive phonics page I found and .....someone beat me to it!!

I love this website!! It has books and flashcards, puzzles and writing activities--all relating to the words in the books for that lesson.

Lara

I LOVE this site! I'm so glad it was shared here!

Is I See Sam full of sight words? It kinda seems that way, with "see" in the first book.

Yes and no. I think it depends on how you look at it. They are extremely slow and progressive. The number of new patterns for kids to decode is very low and it would be relatively easy to introduce kids to those phonics rules as you meet them instead of teaching them as sight words. Unlike a lot of early readers, they don't, for example, introduce stuff that's much more advanced like "igh" words. But the way the words are repeated and the way they don't try to expand so much on the same pattern (such as by giving kids lots of cvc words with "a" or something) means they could be done as sight words.

Is I See Sam full of sight words? It kinda seems that way, with "see" in the first book.

One of the first letter-sounds the I See Sam books teach is "ee" as in "see" and "meet." So, these words are not meant to be learned as wholes. There is lots of practice provided of a few words early on, and new letter-sounds are added fairly slowly. One of the neat things is that the books prevent guessing based on the first and last letters, because so many of the words are quite similar to each other in the early levels. Mat and Mit are characters, for example.

We used a lot of the ones at the library, but I also wrote some for her using words she knew along with things like names of our pets or her name. I left spaces for illustrations and, once she could read the page, she could illustrate it.

For instance, we had two cats named Meg and Marco. The story: This is Sarah. Sarah has a cat. Her cat is Marco. This is Sarah's Dad. Dad has a cat. Dad's cat is Meg. Marco sat on Meg. Meg was mad. Meg bit Marco. Marco was sad.

We used a lot of the ones at the library, but I also wrote some for her using words she knew along with things like names of our pets or her name. I left spaces for illustrations and, once she could read the page, she could illustrate it.

For instance, we had two cats named Meg and Marco. The story: This is Sarah. Sarah has a cat. Her cat is Marco. This is Sarah's Dad. Dad has a cat. Dad's cat is Meg. Marco sat on Meg. Meg was mad. Meg bit Marco. Marco was sad.

What a great idea! That will be a treasure to look back at years down the road.

• 1 year later...