Menu

Help needed: Do you think the "old" or "new" ATKINS is better?

I am going to go on this diet, but needed some opinions and success stories...from "real" moms like you...:bigear:

(I have 20 lbs to lose, and do not have any preexisting medical conditions, except nursing school.:D.::lol::D

which has aided in my being overweight.

The average person gains 35# in school, and if i don't get some help...:eek::

Thank you,

Lacy:)

I don't have experience with old atkins, but I've been on the new one for about 5 weeks and have never felt better, lost about 10lbs and a dress size so far too.

I haven't been following it too strictly though, but it certainly taught me a new way to eat. I'm still on it, and happily, I don't feel deprived or hungry - expect for those longings for chocolate/cake/biscuits which are more habitual now than physical cravings, but I still have some on the weekends.

My DH is on it with me and has lost a similar amount.

I have mild PCOS, so insulin resistance leading to diabetes was always a worry for me, carbs and sugar are like poison to my body, giving them up (mostly) I feel so much better! The first two weeks (induction, going off sugar) were hard, I won't lie. I felt physically sick, this cemented for me that I needed to persevere - I was obviously far too addicted to sugar! Now it really is easy and enjoyable, I've never enjoyed my food so much.

I have about 3-4 more kilo's to go to get to my goal, (6-8lbs) which I hope to banish in the next 6 weeks.

:)

I haven't used the "new" Atkins, but I do know that I can't rely on their products now, such as their shakes, snack bars, etc. if I want to go back on their plan because they've moved to using the cheaper palm oils and other ingredients that break me out.... I also don't want to use products that contain aspertame, malitol, etc....

This thread is right on track for me! I began New Atkins 2-1/2 weeks ago. I've lost 6 pounds so far and my pants already feel looser. I did Old Atkins about 6 yrs ago and the Induction Phase was a bit stricter than it is now. For example they used to say NO diet drinks during Induction and no nuts and NO Atkins bars/shakes. That basically left you with salads, grilled meat, and eggs to eat for 2 weeks. It also caused me major sugar withdrawal!

I AM a sugar addict AND I too suffer from PCOS and had gestational diabetes. That adds up to a short fat body that needs to avoid sugar like the plague! I finally got sick and tired of never having any energy and feeling like Mrs. Potato Head.

I feel like the New Atkins has only had a few minor tweaks but the tweaks have made the 1st 2 weeks MUCH easier for me. Basically you have to accept that Atkins is all about "The Rules" and there are a lot of things that you simply cannot have anymore. I do much better with strict rules. WW is too open-ended for me and allows me room for mistakes. Atkins is very clear with what you can and cannot eat. And that suits my personality. Hope your journey is successful. If you decide to do Atkins and want a buddy, PM me. Maybe we can journey together and celebrate our successes! Anybody want to join me?

I like "old" Atkins. I feel so much better on LC. It's the only way I don't feel like I'm starving! I do think that everyone is different. However, you will do MUCH better if you don't partake of the shakes, bars, LC goodies. There are lots of great LC recipes to make. If you are looking to lose weight the quickest, stick to meat, eggs and veggies for awhile.

avoiding the shakes and bars, is that due to the weight loss being slower, cost, or because one feels better by avoiding those products??

Thank you, Lacy

I like "old" Atkins. I feel so much better on LC. It's the only way I don't feel like I'm starving! I do think that everyone is different. However, you will do MUCH better if you don't partake of the shakes, bars, LC goodies. There are lots of great LC recipes to make. If you are looking to lose weight the quickest, stick to meat, eggs and veggies for awhile.

if this isn't too personal....Any hanging skin...as a result?

I was just a little concerned about that:)

Thanks so much for your encouragement.

Lacy

I lost my 60+ a decade ago on the Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and was pleased.

I am back on low carb, but have not read the newst "Atkins" book.

I lost 28 pounds last year with the old Atkins & it was GREAT!! Unfortunately, I've gained back about 15 pounds or so from not being careful enough & getting lazy :(

I had no hanging skin & I felt great - I just hated the strict diet change, especially since I really don't particularly care for any meat except Chicken and Salmon...! We learned to cook with Stevia (no chemicals like Splenda, although that I still use for cooking because it is cheaper!). If I were still cooking at all, I would be more careful - I find it hard to get around to with my hubby out of town these days, though.

We have the new Atkins book, but I haven't read it yet ... hmmm... I sense a new (old) project that needs to come on!

I have read that adding a tablespoon of liquid or powder MSM to your diet will tighten your skin. I think the "shot" I saw was a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and tablespoon of MSM.

What's MSM?

I didn't know there was a "new" Atkins. I must be under a rock!

ETA: Nevermind the asking for highlights of New Atkins. I found all the great reviews at Amazon and they are very detailed!

Edited by i.love.lucy

What's MSM?

ETA: Nevermind the asking for highlights of New Atkins. I found all the great reviews at Amazon and they are very detailed!

I just looked it up and I THINK the difference is that they allow more veggies in the first phase. I put the book on request at the library and may give this a try. I lost all my baby weight after child #1 doing Atkins so I know it works for me. I just have to get myself motivated and stick with it.

I haven't used the "new" Atkins, but I do know that I can't rely on their products now, such as their shakes, snack bars, etc. if I want to go back on their plan because they've moved to using the cheaper palm oils and other ingredients that break me out.... I also don't want to use products that contain aspertame, malitol, etc....

I never used any of their products when I did Atkins (and you wouldn't use them in the first few weeks anyway). ETA: this was the "old" Atkins, I guess. I have the 2002 book.

Edited again: My book is Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution by Atkins himself. The book linked a couple of posts ago is New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great by someone else.

Edited by gardening momma

Do you put the "shot" on your skin for your face? Or drink it??...Or both?:bigear:

I have read that adding a tablespoon of liquid or powder MSM to your diet will tighten your skin. I think the "shot" I saw was a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and tablespoon of MSM.

I did the old Atkins. I lost 25 pound in 3 months. I really stuck to the book rules. Yes, the first two weeks were a nightmare but once I got past the two week mark I was fine. I am on maintenance.

In regards to the Atkins products such as bars, shakes and such....I found that it made me retain water and gain weight (about 3 pound gain). I also felt bloated after eating them. So once I stopped it I lost the 3 pound gain a few days later.

I have to say that maintenance is hard to stay on because you feel you can cheat more. Induction and Ongoing weight loss was great for me because I had a set of rules to follow. Once I was on maintenance I read Protien Power and really got the maintenance down due to the simplicity of Protein Power book explaination.

One thing I didn't do that both programs allowed (atkins and PP) is drink diet sodas and used of sweeteners. I didn't follow that as I do not like diet drinks. I do not like sweeteners. None in my family have sweeteners (sweet n low, equal and stuff like that is a no no in my house). I do have Stevia in our house for sweeteners. We do drink our tea with NO sugar or stevia.

I do not know what the new atkin book allows. So I can't answer that question.

Holly

It seems like they would be supplemental anyway, and not real food. I will also read Protein Power, because I do not want to gain this back. 25 pounds in 3 months is impressive!! Thank you for the encouragement.

I did the old Atkins. I lost 25 pound in 3 months. I really stuck to the book rules. Yes, the first two weeks were a nightmare but once I got past the two week mark I was fine. I am on maintenance.

In regards to the Atkins products such as bars, shakes and such....I found that it made me retain water and gain weight (about 3 pound gain). I also felt bloated after eating them. So once I stopped it I lost the 3 pound gain a few days later.

I have to say that maintenance is hard to stay on because you feel you can cheat more. Induction and Ongoing weight loss was great for me because I had a set of rules to follow. Once I was on maintenance I read Protien Power and really got the maintenance down due to the simplicity of Protein Power book explaination.

One thing I didn't do that both programs allowed (atkins and PP) is drink diet sodas and used of sweeteners. I didn't follow that as I do not like diet drinks. I do not like sweeteners. None in my family have sweeteners (sweet n low, equal and stuff like that is a no no in my house). I do have Stevia in our house for sweeteners. We do drink our tea with NO sugar or stevia.

Holly

• 1 month later...
What's MSM?

MSM is Methylsulfonylmethane. A supplement sold at GNC and other stores. There is liquid that you can combine with apple cider vinegar to take as a shot orally like vodka:) MSM is typically used for people with joint problems but supposedly helps tighten skin.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/106750-repair-loose-skin/

Edited by cabreban

Holly

Atkins used to say to avoid aspartame/NutraSweet- has that recommendation changed? :confused: