Menu

Does no one use Singapore standards?

Samiam

I am going to purchase Singapore and have read several places, or at least here, lol, that the Standards edition is better than the U.S..

I see the U.S. version, for sale used all.of.the.time!

But I have rarely seen the Standard edition for sale, used.

I see that MFW and Sonlight offer U.S. edition only, two major "pushers" of Singapore.

Is no one using Standards?

We use Standards! The dealbreaker for us was that Standards is full-color all the way through, whereas US edition goes to two-color around level 3.

I don't see it used much. cbd carries it new, and I think they may carry even more than singaporemath.com does, as far as different books go, tests, CWP, etc. in the Standards edition.

We have been using Standards since 1A. We are in 3A now. Love it!

We use the Stabdards Edition. As others have said the SE is relatively new so there are few used copies for sale.

Those wanting to use Intensive Practice books (more challenging problems to supplement the core books) still need to order those from the US Edition series as we are still waiting on SE IPs.

Bill

I am going to purchase Singapore and have read several places, or at least here, lol, that the Standards edition is better than the U.S..

I see the U.S. version, for sale used all.of.the.time!

But I have rarely seen the Standard edition for sale, used.

I see that MFW and Sonlight offer U.S. edition only, two major "pushers" of Singapore.

Is no one using Standards?

My daughter is using the Standard Edition Challenging Word Problems 6. She is about half way through the book. She seems to like it. There are a lot of problems that can be solved using an extension of the bar diagram method but to more complicated cases.

I know you can find the books at Christian Book Distributors for a bit of a sale price. Although they did not have CWP6 (standards) available when I wanted to order it for my daughter about a month ago.

Good luck. :)

Hi, :seeya: We use standards! I know what you mean about not finding them used though. I have even asked for levels we do not need right now in hopes of finding them :D No luck. Infact I just made an order from http://www.singaporemath.com yesterday. It was cheaper that CBD, go figure.

We switched to the Standards edition when it first came out about two years ago (switched later to Saxon, but that's another story;)). At that point, it was only the lower levels that were available, and they've been adding levels ever since (the HIGs came later than that). So, particularly if you are looking for upper levels, the books may only be a year or so old. Add that to the facts that they are consumable and/or people may be holding onto them for younger children, and you have a problem with supply and demand:).

Ok, those of you that use the 3rd edition, can you please tell me about it?

It's the "original" (3rd edition of the original) Singapore Math, i.e. it hasn't been Americanised. I prefer it because I'm a British-Canadian who does not use the imperial system and while I see the value in learning it, I don't want my kids spending much time on it. The 3rd edition was also the only Singapore Math available when I started using it and over the years I've come to really love the Singaporean flavour of the books. There is more information here.

Ok, those of you that use the 3rd edition, can you please tell me about it?

The easiest way to compare is to look at the charts here:

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm#Primary%20Mathematics (info on all three editions)

and

http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/SSUSandSTD2009.pdf (US Edition and Standards scope and sequence comparison).

I am just beginning with singapore math but I got the US edition because it is what I found used. However I am told you can go as high as 2b in the US edition and then switch to the standard edition without too much hassle (hope this is right).

It's the "original" (3rd edition of the original) Singapore Math, i.e. it hasn't been Americanised. I prefer it because I'm a British-Canadian who does not use the imperial system and while I see the value in learning it, I don't want my kids spending much time on it. The 3rd edition was also the only Singapore Math available when I started using it and over the years I've come to really love the Singaporean flavour of the books. There is more information here.

It would probably be really useful for an American who wanted metric for a strong science education.

It would probably be really useful for an American who wanted metric for a strong science education.

Actually, it makes no difference - none of the metric in 3rd Edition was taken out for US Edition, just some sections one US measurements were added. I made sure of this before buying US Ed - I would've supplemented for US measurements rather than skip any metric teaching.

The only thing taken out between 3rd and US is Singaporean money has been changed to US money (this might even be helpful for Canadians, as the coin systems between US and Canada I think are the same, whereas Singapore has a 20-cent coin which makes those sections just as problematic for them). They could just skip the extra US measurement pages - I know my kids would've been happy!

I don't know if Standards Ed. is as rigorous with metric as 3rd/US Ed. - I've just stuck with US Ed. since Standards didn't come out till my oldest kids were almost done with the sequence.

The Standards Edition thus far (we are only just finishing up 2B) has a a good deal of material on Metric measurement and has also covered the Imperial system. It has been good for learning both (as American children had better do).

Bill

Actually, it makes no difference - none of the metric in 3rd Edition was taken out for US Edition, just some sections one US measurements were added. I made sure of this before buying US Ed - I would've supplemented for US measurements rather than skip any metric teaching.

The only thing taken out between 3rd and US is Singaporean money has been changed to US money (this might even be helpful for Canadians, as the coin systems between US and Canada I think are the same, whereas Singapore has a 20-cent coin which makes those sections just as problematic for them). They could just skip the extra US measurement pages - I know my kids would've been happy!

I don't know if Standards Ed. is as rigorous with metric as 3rd/US Ed. - I've just stuck with US Ed. since Standards didn't come out till my oldest kids were almost done with the sequence.

Thanks for the info and yep, Canadian money and American are pretty much the same although we have one and two dollar coins.

The Standards Edition thus far (we are only just finishing up 2B) has a a good deal of material on Metric measurement and has also covered the Imperial system. It has been good for learning both (as American children had better do).

Bill

I'm looking forward to the day you guys join the rest of the world. :D

I'm looking forward to the day you guys join the rest of the world. :D

When I was a little boy (in what my son calls "the olden days" :D) we were told we needed to hurry up and learn the metric system because any day were were about to switch.

I'm still waiting.

Bill

I am so thoroughly annoyed that we don't use metric. It's really a pain to have to learn to deal with both in calculations (and metric is so much easier). But you know, I did not teach customary measurements to my son and he seems to have figured them all out anyway. He even knows things like how many cups in a pint, etc. He has figured that all out just by using it. I figured I'd focus only on metric in the hopes he learns to feel comfortable with it. So far this approach seems to be working out.

The one good thing about the Imperial system (other than being the one we commonly use in everyday life) if that it's harder. So all the capacity and measurement problems give their little minds a good work-out; the Metric problems make their brains soft :D

Bill

That is very true.

Think about it, when the British used farthings and pence and shillings and crowns--and they were all in weird fractions of one another--the British Empire ruled half the world :D

Maybe it wasn't an accident :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I love the rambutans and curry puffs, and the mix of names that is Singapore. The US edition has too many problems about Mary and her apples.

The Fillipino/American math books you linked to on Google books have been great for introducing new cultural items to the mix.

Bill