Menu

We moved the puppies.

Mama did Great. She didn't take her nose off the laundry basket I used to carry them to the school, even though I had to climb over a tire and over the fence where it's fallen down between the properties. She followed right along without removing her nose from the basket to navigate obstacles. She was concerned but also trusting enough to let me do it.

One of the puppies is dead. It was between mama's back and the wall. I hope that it suffocated and that it's not disease. I've yet to see a litter of puppies survive in this area. The camps we go to have had several litters in the past year and not one of those babies is alive today. If this poor little one suffocated at least it's not catching to the other puppies. Two babies were twisted up in a blanket when I was getting them, really badly, so I am glad I moved them when we did. I don't think they'd have gotten out. Two people touched the dead puppy and then the live ones. That bothered me. I wish they'd wash their hands first but people just don't here. I'd have asked them to, but they'd probably laugh.

The bathroom we moved them to was rank. Someone pooped in the defunct toilet that doesn't flush. :blink: I don't know how long it's been there but it was nasty. The neighbor who isn't nice to animals actually cleaned it out for us. He's really helpful all the time but I can't get past how he is with animals. And then my friend mopped the floor. Then we put a blanket down. The bathroom still stinks, though. I hope that doesn't bother the mama.

I don't know why the pics won't load onto this site, so I put them on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1915942271545.106782.1631626121&l=0fe5a01c57

What can we do to protect them from parvo and things like that?

post-6173-13535084944656_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sputterduck

Parvo, is a deadly disease, but is easily preventable with care, caution and the proper vaccinations. We frequently see Parvo outbreaks in Austin, so do not fool yourself into thinking that it can't happen to your puppy or dog -- it can.

So how do you prevent it?

First of all, you need to get your puppy vaccinated -- it is the single most effective measure of prevention. You should start vaccinating your puppy as early as 5-6 weeks and vaccinate every 3-4 weeks until the puppy is 16-18 weeks old. Then you will need to get your dog a yearly parvo booster.

Until your puppy has received his last Parvo booster, it is CRITICAL that you:

Avoid the front yard, park, dog parks, vet office floor, pet store floor, etc. You need to carry your puppy -- do NOT let them come into contact with the ground or floor anywhere other than your home and fenced in backyard (places where no other dogs have been). If you live in an apartment, use puppy pads until the last booster shot. Why? Parvo is spread through the feces of infected dogs and can live in the soil for up to six months! It can also be spread indirectly by shoes, gloves, clothes, etc that have come in contact with the virus.

Only let the puppy around adult dogs that you KNOW are current on vaccinations and again, avoid the areas listed above.

Do not let your puppy around other puppies until it is fully vaccinated.

Always wash your hands after handling any other dog.

Symptoms of Parvo:

Depression

Loss of appetite

Fever

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Weakness

Crying, difficulty breathing

If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms, please contact your vet immediately!

http://www.austinhumanesociety.org/blog/2011/05/02/protect-your-puppy-parvo

The puppies are an amazing array of colors. There is a pure white one, and white one with light brown sugar coloring in some areas, a brindle one, a brown one with a black stripe down it's back, a brown with black one, a black with brown one, and a very black one. No two are alike at all!

Edited by Sputterduck

Oh you did wonderfully!!! How beautiful mama and her babies are! I doubt she minds the odor and is probably happy for the secure, cozy space.

Are there vets in the area? They would be able to tell you what vaccines or meds are needed as there's obviously something causing so many deaths there. Hopefully it's something with a simple prevention or cure.

Praying your test goes well. :001_smile:

Oh you did wonderfully!!! How beautiful mama and her babies are! I doubt she minds the odor and is probably happy for the secure' date=' cozy space.

Are there vets in the area? They would be able to tell you what vaccines or meds are needed as there's obviously something causing so many deaths there. Hopefully it's something with a simple prevention or cure.

Praying your test goes well. :001_smile:[/quote']

Yes there are. I will definitely ask them. I know that parvo and one other thing are a common thing here. I can't remember what the other was. I was hoping we could vaccinate them sooner than what Roughcollie's link says. *sigh* They don't normally last til that age.

Awwww, puppies! They're adorable and mama is beautiful and I hope they all make it.

Mama really is beautiful. She has this constant pitiful worry look on her face that just tugs at your heart. I think that's how she's survived in this environment. She's just too adorable and sweet looking in a way that you just can't resist helping her out!

I feel sad everytime I read your posts, that people and animals live in such hard conditions, and I'm so pampered living here in the U.S.

But I'm so glad that this dog and puppies has you to help them! I would love to have that sweet mama dog, she is so beautiful. I really hope it works out for them all.

Perhaps the survival rate for puppies could be put down to the lack of nutrition of the mama dogs in your area? I think the best chance you can give the puppies is to feed up mama very well with good quality food, and get the puppies on solids about 3 weeks old.

Probably Mama has not been vaccinated for Parvo, but it's quite possible she has a natural immunity which she will pass on to her offspring. Vaccinations are more effective if given 2 weeks after the pups have stopped feeding from mama. So if they are completely weaned by 5 weeks, vaccination by 6 or 7 weeks is ideal, as the maternal antibodies will have dropped that they won't neutralize the introduced parvo virus.

But do be aware that even vaccination does not prevent them from getting Parvo, so it's not foolproof by any means. Best thing is just to help them to have good nutrition that they can better fight off any bad bugs.

YOU did GREAT!

Congratulations!!!!!!

For the lingering smell, do you have baking soda available? A box in the corner might work a bit....

Unsolicited advice ahead:

Why not just tell the neighbor dude he's freaky with animals and he could do better? Not in a preachy way, just in an off-hand, observational way, that in no way detracts from his personhood. You'll have to wait for the right moment to make the comment, but maybe you can find the words to make him think. Also, it sounds like you need to get it off your chest, and to me that's always best to do directly to the one making those feelings happen.

YOU did GREAT!

Congratulations!!!!!!

For the lingering smell, do you have baking soda available? A box in the corner might work a bit....

Unsolicited advice ahead:

Why not just tell the neighbor dude he's freaky with animals and he could do better? Not in a preachy way, just in an off-hand, observational way, that in no way detracts from his personhood. You'll have to wait for the right moment to make the comment, but maybe you can find the words to make him think. Also, it sounds like you need to get it off your chest, and to me that's always best to do directly to the one making those feelings happen.

Baking soda is a Great idea.

I should tell him. I will tell him. I'm even going to ask my friends who know him better what would be the most effective way.

Oh gosh. How soon can you talk to the vet?? I want those puppies to make it so badly! I shouldn't have opened this thread. I'm going to be worrying about them (and Mama) now. :rolleyes:

Aww. Don't worry too much. I'm doing enough for both of us. I swear all these litters, 3 cat sets and 1 dog so far, are taking years off of my life. :tongue_smilie:

Hope you find homes for the puppies or do you think you can keep them? I realize things are waaayyyy different there than here...

I don't know if we can find homes. There are so many dogs that anyone who wants one has one. At least a couple puppies and the mama can stay at the school house. After that the food just gets too expensive. I am hoping to take one home. My lot is very small at the place I own. Too small for more than one. And my rental house, well, I'm not supposed to have pets and I'm moving out of in September anyway.