Menu

Where do all the Amazon readers live???

Amazon has put out a list of the top cities for sales of its Kindle and hard copy books. It's interesting to see as some could easily be guessed and others are a bit of a surprise.

Here's the article with the list of cities: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_technews/20110527/tc_yblog_technews/is-your-city-well-read-amazon-knows-the-answer

I think that the use of the public libraries in some cities probably affects these results hugely as in I wouldn't translate this into a list of the top cities for readers in general.

I think that the use of the public libraries in some cities probably affects these results hugely as in I wouldn't translate this into a list of the top cities for readers in general.
:iagree:

Our county public libraries are consistently busier per capita than other similarly sized systems. We also have Powell's.

Well, geez, they separated Bellevue out from Seattle. If you added those two together as the greater Seattle area, I bet we win.

The yahoo article was inaccurate. If you go to the original Mashable article (linked at the bottom of the yahoo article), you'll see that the rankings were per capita.

Well, geez, they separated Bellevue out from Seattle. If you added those two together as the greater Seattle area, I bet we win. Of course, Amazon headquarters are here, so that might have something to do with it :D.

I'll bet the rainy weather doesn't hurt either. Good coffee and a good book are great on a rainy day. :)

For a mere individual, I certainly do my share of buying Amazon books/Kindle books, wonder if they included our house in the Boulder, CO area. Anyway, our Boulder Borders store just closed down. I didn't know we had so many ereader people here.

Edited by Satori

I wonder if vacation plays in there, too? I don't buy books new at home, except for ones I need for homeschooling and can't get used. But on vacation, I buy books, and often get them for the kindle app on my iPhone because it's so portable. I think I bought three the last time I was in Orlando. Would that count for Memphis, or for Orlando?

I wonder if vacation plays in there, too? I don't buy books new at home, except for ones I need for homeschooling and can't get used. But on vacation, I buy books, and often get them for the kindle app on my iPhone because it's so portable. I think I bought three the last time I was in Orlando. Would that count for Memphis, or for Orlando?

Good question. It would depend on whether they use the shipping or mailing address. The article doesn't give a whole lot of details.

I don't know if it's a factor or not but all 3 of the Florida cities have major universities in them. I can imagine students being huge Amazon customers.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw Cambridge, Berkeley and ANn Arbor on the list. Textbooks!

Good public libraries are a treasure. :)

:iagree: We have wonderful libraries and resources here. I have 5 book stores within 5 miles of my house. I'm not sure this list is very telling. I know many people here are reading books on other technology as well (like my husband on his ipad).