Menu

s/o soda thread - drinks in the South?

Girlfriend, that's "sweet" and "unsweet," not "sweetened" and "unsweetened." Just sayin'...:D

Well, you know I've only lived in the South 12 years, so I'm still learning the lingo. I am still just as likely to say you guys as y'all, too, and I'm still not clear on the proper usage of all y'all. :D

Maybe I'm a slow learner. I lived in Baltimore for 11 years, and I still pronounce the t in the middle. I can't be considered a native until I can drop that t without thinking about it. :lol:

Well, you know I've only lived in the South 12 years, so I'm still learning the lingo. I am still just as likely to say you guys as y'all, too. :D

Maybe I'm a slow learner. I lived in Baltimore for 11 years, and I still pronounce the t in the middle. I can't be considered a native until I can drop that t without thinking about it. :lol:

I've lived down here for 13 years now, and I still don't say y'all. I just don't have the right accent. :) It's still "you guys" for me, too, and if people don't like it, I usually get a little grace because I'm a Yankee and can't be expected to know better, after all. One of the people who worked at the gas station by my house said he had to take sensitivity training for referring to a group of ladies as "you guys." Apparently one of the ladies protested to his manager. :lol:

Clearly I have never heard a native of Baltimore say the word, because I can't even imagine it without the "t" in the middle! :confused::lol: Is it kind of like how people in KY say "Louisville," that no one else can figure out?

Oh, I can't believe I didn't notice that. You are quite correct! Putting the apostrophe after the A is one of my pet peeves, and yet I quoted that post without even noticing it tonight with my kids bouncing around me! lol I was agreeing that it could have an s on the end of it, as in "I'll get y'alls tea in a minute." and didn't look carefully enough at the apostrophes. I must not be quite myself tonight! :lol:

The iPhone spell check does spell it correctly! Cracks me up!:lol:

I've lived down here for 13 years now, and I still don't say y'all. I just don't have the right accent. :) It's still "you guys" for me, too, and if people don't like it, I usually get a little grace because I'm a Yankee and can't be expected to know better, after all. One of the people who worked at the gas station by my house said he had to take sensitivity training for referring to a group of ladies as "you guys." Apparently one of the ladies protested to his manager. :lol:

Clearly I have never heard a native of Baltimore say the word, because I can't even imagine it without the "t" in the middle! :confused::lol: Is it kind of like how people in KY say "Louisville," that no one else can figure out?

Oh my goodness!!! Sensitivity training for saying you guys!!! That is crazy!

For people born and raised in Baltimore (like my dh), it's Bal'more; 2 syllables.

I think it was just a joke. I realize that some people think we're kinda backward, but even in GA, we don't actually hang folks. ;)

Oh, I get that it was tongue-in-cheek, but the sentiment that ordering unsweet tea is just not normal in the South was what they meant.

I just disagree that ordering unsweet tea is not considered "normal" in the South anymore. I think back when our society was not as mobile as it is now, and areas were more separated by geographical location, ordering unsweet tea was unusual in the South. But in today's South, that is just not the case.

Oh, I get that it was tongue-in-cheek, but the sentiment that ordering unsweet tea is just not normal in the South was what they meant.

I just disagree that ordering unsweet tea is not considered "normal" in the South anymore. I think back when our society was not as mobile as it is now, and areas were more separated by geographical location, ordering unsweet tea was unusual in the South. But in today's South, that is just not the case.

Like I said in another thread, it's completely ridiculous, but it's part of the heritage of the South. :lol: You're right, society has become so mobile that the lines are completely blurred, if not gone, but it would be terrible if the 'culture' were to completely disappear! I like those little differences that make a part of the country unique.

HA! I moved from SoCal to NC and yes, I can't think of any place that doesn't offer sweet and unsweetened iced tea. In fact, most people who want sugar ask for "sweet tea." If you just say "tea" they will ask you, "sweet or unsweet?"Dawn

This.

No. If you ordered tea in the south and they brought you unsweetened tea, I believe that's a hanging offense.

I've lived in the South all my life. You can certainly get either, though you will have to specify which you would like. If you order iced tea, sweet tea is sometimes assumed, though many placed will ask whether you want sweet tea or unsweetened. If you want unsweetened, you have to order "unsweetened tea." Sweet is more common.

Another MS-ian here. We have both "sweet" and "unsweet" tea most anywhere. I can't think of any place I go that the waiter wouldn't clarify which you want if I only said "tea". Maybe some non-chain, legacy places don't offer a choice, in which case they just bring what they have.

Sweet tea has gotten sweeter it seems as now you can ask for "1/2 and 1/2 tea" and you'll get half sweet-half unsweet tea. :)

It's not that uncommon for folks to get unsweet tea. I suppose if we thought about it we'd assume you are not from here. If you actually like adding sugar packets to unsweet tea we know you probably have never had good sweet tea. :) but it's unlikely we are actually thinking about your choice in teas.

In my circles, those who can't have sweet tea for dietary reasons, we have water with lemon.

I think it entirely depends on where you are in the South. Yes, society is more mobile, but that's primarily involving cities, not small towns and communities. In our area of NC, it was rare to find someone "not from around here" ;) until, say, 20 years ago, and we are very close to a very large urban area. The more rural the area, the slower the change (as is true anywhere). I think you may find dietary concerns to be a bigger issue than where the person originated.

I agree it's very normal. I always drink mine unsweetened an it's not like the waiter is confused. BUT...if you notice when you fill your own, there are always 2 or 3 sweet urns per 1 unsweet. Also, at McDonald's, if you want unsweet, that's behind the counter (they have to get it for you) instead of with the fountain drinks where the sweet tea is. So, it's normal, but it's not as common.

I went to British Columbia a few years ago and could not believe you can't get 'real tea' there. It was all instant. And sweetend. Gross.

Margaret

And as a Southerner, born and bred, it's so much easier on my ears if non-Southerners refrain from saying 'y'all'. 'You guys' does sound inappropriate to me; but hearing a non-Southerner try to say 'y'all' the way Southerners do, is SO much worse. It's akin to fingernails screeching across a blackboard. :tongue_smilie:

You know how you pick up a lot of your language usage from your parents? Well, growing up, my family spent some time in Texas and some in Canada. The result is that I've actually heard the question, "Y'all coming, eh?" fall out of my mouth! :lol:

Well, you know I've only lived in the South 12 years, so I'm still learning the lingo. I am still just as likely to say you guys as y'all, too, and I'm still not clear on the proper usage of all y'all. :D

I've been in the South for 23 years? I use y'all and you guys about equally too. I do NOT have a Southern accent. But sweet tea = yum!

That is my test to figure out if I am in southern area or a yankeefied area.

I currently live in Maryland. In different areas of Maryland, when you order tea it comes either sweetened or unsweetened. If it is unsweetened, then you are in a yankeefied area, such as the suburbs of DC.

The same hold true for Northern Virginia. I make sure I clearly say unsweetened tea of I will get a shock in some counties of Virginia. (Frederickburg is iffy.)

Also, Florida is regional. Nothern Florida will automatically give you sweet tea while Tampa or Miama are will serve unsweetened.

Okay, this is coming from a California girl, but the soda thread made me curious: is regular (i.e., non-sweetened) ice tea served regularly in the southern US?

I don't like either sweet tea or soda (and no sugar in my coffee, please!), so I usually get iced tea when I'm out. Just plain, black, cold tea. Mmm. Anyway, is that something I could get easily if I visited the South? the only place southernish I've visited recently is Texas, and that was awhile ago and I don't remember what I drank.

No ulterior agenda, just complete curiosity since I hear so much about sweet tea being the drink of choice down there. :)

In Texas, you will get unsweetened tea. If they have sweetened tea, they'll ask you which you want. I've never had a restaurant automatically bring me sweet tea. DH always orders tea, so I'm very familiar with tea in restaurants where we eat.

Also, Florida is regional. Nothern Florida will automatically give you sweet tea while Tampa or Miama are will serve unsweetened.

Hmmm, lived 8 years in N FL....just moved last year......DH orders tea at every meal, and unfortunately we eat out waaay to much. Never had sweet tea as "automatic".