1. 1. What do you say?

• pop
    • soda
    • coke
    • soda pop
    • fizzy pop
    • tonic
    • carbonated beverage

Am I the only one totally lost on the "lemonade" thing? How in the world can a coke or pepsi be described as lemonade. :001_huh:

How can lemonade be described as coke? :rolleyes: :tongue_smilie:

I, personally, never quite got soft drink either. There is nothing soft about it.

:D

Of course there is. Soft drinks don't have alcohol in them!

Rosie

How can lemonade be described as coke? :rolleyes: :tongue_smilie:

Of course there is. Soft drinks don't have alcohol in them!

Rosie

oh.my.gosh, duh. I get this now! I never got it before!!! I just always that will all that fizz, they felt sort of harsh like/acidic, ykwim? I never thought about alcohol/non alcohol! :blush::blush::blush:

I still don't don't get the lemonade thing. Where does it originate from? Did Australian soda have lemon in it at first? Am I missing something else really big that everyone else gets? I am now feeling a little self conscious and a lot more blond than usual :lol:

What do you call carbonated beverages?

I couldn't answer your poll since Dh and I traveled a lot as children. We call them pop, soda, coke, and soda pop. I also recognize fizzy and soft drink, although I've never heard of fizzy pop. :001_smile:

I still don't don't get the lemonade thing. Where does it originate from? Did Australian soda have lemon in it at first? Am I missing something else really big that everyone else gets?

Australian SOFT DRINK, Woman! :toetap05:

(Just pulling your leg. :tongue_smilie:)

If anyone here said "soda" without an American accent, we'd probably think they meant soda water, which is what I think you lot call seltzer. Nasty stuff. I can't understand why anyone drinks that. :ack2:

Anyhow, lemonade was originally a home job of sugar, water and lemon juice, so I suppose that would naturally be the first flavour anyone would think of carbonating. Except, here, lemon flavoured soft drinks tend to be called 'lemon squash' if you are ordering from a pub and by their brand or flavour otherwise and default 'lemonade' is that clear stuff like Sprite. Coke is an American thing. Ok, so most of our soft drinks are made by American countries, but Coke was only introduced here by Americans in WW2, as far as I know. They're the Johnny-come-lately's.

Rosie

Totally a regional thing, but all carbonated beverages are cokes, even Pepsi :lol:

:iagree: Yep, that's how it is here in Georgia. :) My Michingander grandparents call it all "pop". I remember that as a kid, I thought that was hilarious the first time I heard it.

Edited by ereks mom

Australian SOFT DRINK, Woman! :toetap05:

(Just pulling your leg. :tongue_smilie:)

If anyone here said "soda" without an American accent, we'd probably think they meant soda water, which is what I think you lot call seltzer. Nasty stuff. I can't understand why anyone drinks that. :ack2:

Anyhow, lemonade was originally a home job of sugar, water and lemon juice, so I suppose that would naturally be the first flavour anyone would think of carbonating. Except, here, lemon flavoured soft drinks tend to be called 'lemon squash' if you are ordering from a pub and by their brand or flavour otherwise and default 'lemonade' is that clear stuff like Sprite. Coke is an American thing. Ok, so most of our soft drinks are made by American countries, but Coke was only introduced here by Americans in WW2, as far as I know. They're the Johnny-come-lately's.

Rosie

Now that makes sense. :D Thank you for your patience with this very American, blond, and stubborn woman!

If I ever make it to Australia I will be sure to order a Lemonade in proper fashion. I will definitley warn dh as he tends to order lemonade and tea together (referred to as an Arnold Palmer here) but that would make for a nasty combination there. :lol:

In all seriousness I want to see your bats! You guys have the largest and most awesome bats! But, I bet you know that already!:lol: Sorry, back to the soda talk...

If I ever make it to Australia I will be sure to order a Lemonade in proper fashion. I will definitley warn dh as he tends to order lemonade and tea together (referred to as an Arnold Palmer here) but that would make for a nasty combination there. :lol:

Ok, but what do you think you'll get if you order lemonade? :lol:

Lemonade and tea together would be nasty, but you can buy lemon flavoured iced tea from shops and service stations (places you buy petrol,) if that helps. ;)

In all seriousness I want to see your bats! You guys have the largest and most awesome bats! But, I bet you know that already!:lol: Sorry, back to the soda talk...

You care about bats? :confused:

Good. I'm glad someone does. :lol: Mostly we think of them as horrible pests because they were making a huge mess of the Botanic gardens in our city a few years back.

:)

Rosie

I voted soda. Supposedly true Bostonians say tonic, but I think that's mostly the people who drop their "r's" as well. My best friend growing up did say tonic, as well as rubbish for trash. The one big local word I picked up is bubbler for water fountain. Oh, and jimmies for sprinkles. :D

Lemonade and tea together would be nasty, but you can buy lemon flavoured iced tea from shops and service stations (places you buy petrol,) if that helps. ;)

You care about bats? :confused:

Good. I'm glad someone does. :lol: Mostly we think of them as horrible pests because they were making a huge mess of the Botanic gardens in our city a few years back.

:)

Rosie

What!? no love for the bats! :eek:

Now, lemonade (as in sugar, lemon juice and water, no carbonation) with tea is not bad in a pinch if there's no fresh lemon/lemon juice or if you want just a little sweetness to your unsweet tea ;). I can't drink unsweetened plain iced tea without lemon, usually a lot of it---herbal tea is usually fine. I wouldn't add a citrus-flavored soda to tea, though. Most bottled lemon flavored iced tea, though, is truly nasty as it tastes like lemon furniture polish has been added to the evil that is most bottled tea.:ack2:

BTW, around here, at least, we still often call them service stations (though very few of them offer any service for your car anymore), but might call them gas stations.

I'll have to ask my friend, who is French, about what they call all these things. I remember (dimly:)) from French and German classes that limonade is not the same as lemonade, but more of a carbonated drink.

Do you have shandies there? We encountered this in southern England--- a light beer (as opposed to something like a stout, not a "lite" beer) with lemonade (suspect it was probably lemon squash) or ginger ale added. My husband liked it, but I hate the taste of beer in all its forms, so didn't bother.

Another interesting carbonated drink I'm wondering if anyone else has---a suicide or a witchdoctor. A suicide is a mix of everything on offer in the fountain (though usually not the diet stuff, which wasn't available when I first encountered this as a child). A witchdoctor is a suicide with the addition of a hamburger dill pickle slice. I used to find a suicide interesting, but a witchdoctor nasty. They still sell them at a very small, very local burger chain, but it's not something you would ever find bottled.

Do you have shandies there? We encountered this in southern England--- a light beer (as opposed to something like a stout, not a "lite" beer) with lemonade (suspect it was probably lemon squash) or ginger ale added. My husband liked it, but I hate the taste of beer in all its forms, so didn't bother.

Yes. My grandmother had half a shandy a few Christmases ago, after tipping the first half over the table. She spent the rest of the day dimpling and roaring that she'd rather kiss a shark than a certain tv presenter well known here. :rofl:

Another interesting carbonated drink I'm wondering if anyone else has---a suicide or a witchdoctor. A suicide is a mix of everything on offer in the fountain (though usually not the diet stuff, which wasn't available when I first encountered this as a child). A witchdoctor is a suicide with the addition of a hamburger dill pickle slice. I used to find a suicide interesting, but a witchdoctor nasty. They still sell them at a very small, very local burger chain, but it's not something you would ever find bottled.

Sounds lovely :ack2:

Rosie