Menu

What necessities do I need for cloth diapering?

You have all gotten me intrigued with trying out the cloth diapering, at least on a part-time basis. (Hubby really has no interest, but doesn't mind if I try it out.)

I was thinking about going with Thirsties Duo Wraps with prefolds. However, should I just use Thirsties prefolds, or is there something out there from another company that people generally like better? Also, what are the pros and cons of the different materials: hemp, cotton, etc.

Other than the wraps and prefolds, what else should I have on hand? I want to use the flushable liners, so recommendations on those are appreciated, too. I know I need a wet bag for the diaper bag and a diaper pail with a liner.

Is there anything else that I'm overlooking? Any thoughts on anything are welcome. We are due in September, so I have a little bit of time. :D

All I use for storage of dirties is a large wetbag and a rubbermaid tote. I have the wetbag hanging next to the changing table. It zips shut. When it's full I dump in into an unlined rubbermaid tote in the laundry room with a lid. I just spray the tote out every month or so and I don't have stink issues.

Thirsties covers are great! I really like Little Lions prefolds.

Laundry: You gotta wash those things. :D

I presoaked my dc's diapers overnight in the washer with Amway bleach (4 TBS instead of 2); drained the water in the morning then washed with Amway laundry detergent, more bleach (Amway bleach doesn't eat the fabric the way liquid bleaches do), and fabric softener (Amway's fabric softener doesn't build up on clothing the way other softeners do). Dc's diapers where WHITE and soft and beautimous. ;-)

Okay, now I'm confused. Thirsties has a "Stay Dry Duo Insert." Is this used instead of a prefold? Or with the prefold?

Oh, and I forgot to ask in my original post if it is useful to also have a few AIOs on hand for any reason. I notice that a lot of the package deals have some with prefolds and some with AIOs.

And thanks for the responses I've already gotten. :D

Laundry: You gotta wash those things. :D

I presoaked my dc's diapers overnight in the washer with Amway bleach (4 TBS instead of 2); drained the water in the morning then washed with Amway laundry detergent, more bleach (Amway bleach doesn't eat the fabric the way liquid bleaches do), and fabric softener (Amway's fabric softener doesn't build up on clothing the way other softeners do). Dc's diapers where WHITE and soft and beautimous. ;-)

I was just coming to post that she needs a really good washer and dryer. :lol:

I am going to use cloth diapers with my 4th baby who is due in Oct. I plan on using prefolds with covers also. I like the thirsties covers and I saw some prefolds at Green Mountain Diapers that I plan to purchase. I forget what theyare called at the moment... But I plan to get the unbleached, organic ones. I was also going to get a few AIO's for easier changes at night. A friend of mine gifted me 6 so I'm good with those.

I am a "basics" type of gal when it comes to cloth diapering. I don't like the fancy diapers, because... well... they are POO HOLDERS! Here's what I had in my basic stash for newborns:

2 dozen unbleached Infant-sized prefolds

1 dozen fitteds (Little Lions brand)

at least 6 covers (I like Bummis pants and wraps)

at least 3 Snappi's

2 small wetbags for the diaper bag

1 large wetbag for the Sterilite can in the garage

baby washcloths for wipes

squirt bottle (like the free peri-bottles from the hospitals) filled with water and a drop of babywash for the wipes

for washing, I soaked the diapers w/ a capful of Biokleen Bacout. Then did a HOT wash with.... DAWN non-ultra dish soap, then 2 rinses. (we have a top-loading washer) :D

Edited by flobee76

I am a "basics" type of gal when it comes to cloth diapering. I don't like the fancy diapers, because... well... they are POO HOLDERS! Here's what I had in my basic stash for newborns:

2 dozen unbleached Infant-sized prefolds

1 dozen fitteds (Little Lions brand)

at least 6 covers (I like Bummis pants and wraps)

at least 3 Snappi's

2 small wetbags for the diaper bag

1 large wetbag for the Sterilite can in the garage

baby washcloths for wipes

squirt bottle (like the free peri-bottles from the hospitals) filled with water and a drop of babywash for the wipes

for washing, I soaked the diapers w/ a capful of Biokleen Bacout. Then did a HOT wash with.... DAWN non-ultra dish soap, then 2 rinses. (we have a top-loading washer) :D

Really, just 6 covers? The fitteds need covers, too, right?

Just yesterday I got my cloth diaper trial package in the mail from Jillian's Drawers . I'm pretty excited to try the diapers out! The Thirsties are among the diapers in my trial pack, and it looks like you can use either the Stay Dry Insert or a prefold...but don't quote me on that. If you really just want to try it and see if like it or not, I think doing a trial is a great idea. I think that at Jillian's Drawers they give you more than the 21 trial period if you are expecting. It ends up costing $10 plus the cost of return shipping if you don't keep any of the diapers.

I took a picture of my little guy in his kissaluvs all in one diaper this morning...post-3959-13535084902483_thumb.jpg

You have all gotten me intrigued with trying out the cloth diapering, at least on a part-time basis. (Hubby really has no interest, but doesn't mind if I try it out.)

I was thinking about going with Thirsties Duo Wraps with prefolds. However, should I just use Thirsties prefolds, or is there something out there from another company that people generally like better? Also, what are the pros and cons of the different materials: hemp, cotton, etc.

Other than the wraps and prefolds, what else should I have on hand? I want to use the flushable liners, so recommendations on those are appreciated, too. I know I need a wet bag for the diaper bag and a diaper pail with a liner.

Is there anything else that I'm overlooking? Any thoughts on anything are welcome. We are due in September, so I have a little bit of time. :D

If anyone in your house is scared of using pins then get some snappies.

I haven't diapered in a few years and I don't know what is popular now, but IMO, all you really need is:

1. Unbleached prefolds from China or India, two or three dozen in the "infant" size and two or three dozen in the "premium" size, and

2. Bummis Super Whisper Wrap covers, six in each size - small, medium, and large, and

3. To put them in, two round Sterilite pails with snap-on lids and some cheap pillowcases. This is a perfect dry pail system.

That is it. No pins, no snappis, no pull on covers, no pockets, no fitteds, no flushable liners, no toilet water sprayer, no wet bag. The most expensive part is the BSWW covers but you will get your money's worth from them.

Learn the jelly-roll fold (for newborn poop), the angel wing fold (basic fold), and the bikini twist (for when the premiums are still too long but the infants are too short). These folds are held in place by the wrap cover.

Wash everything in hot water, Tide or Kirkland detergent, and Oxiclean. Then run the washer again with no detergent. Throw everything in the dryer except the covers. Hang those on a clip hangar. They dry in just a few hours.

If you want to use cloth wipes, get a few dozen cheap washcloths. Wet them with warm tap water right before you do a diaper. They go into the pail with your diapers.

Well, we are very, very basic here as well. And actually now being my 3rd in cloth I have got even more so instead of less.

newborn:

4 dozen cpf's green stitch w/ dozen or so covers in small and med(have an assortment of bummis wraps and others)

3 dozen cpf's dozen dozen or so large covers(pull on - I get 2 for $5)

3 snappis

diaper pail

2 dozen baby clothes for wipes and old wipe container

Snappis are not a necessity but with pull on covers they are needed and they are considerably cheaper $2.50 each versus $10+ each. I found that the others didn't warrant their 4x increase in cost but for newborn sizes I still have the bummis as those sizes aren't used as much (generally only a few months for each) and the pull-ons are generally sized big and don't fit the smallest babies the best.

I don't ever soak and generally wash about every 5 days, throw them in the wash w/ homemade detergent, put it on extra rinse w/ the whites cycle. You can get by with less prefolds but I like not having to wash as much and in the newborn stage they generally poop a lot.

Edited by soror

Well, we are very, very basic here as well. And actually now being my 3rd in cloth I have got even more so instead of less.

Snappis are not a necessity but with pull on covers they are needed and they are considerably cheaper $2.50 each versus $10+ each. I found that the others didn't warrant their 4x increase in cost but for newborn sizes I still have the bummis as those sizes aren't used as much (generally only a few months for each) and the pull-ons are generally sized big and don't fit the smallest babies the best.

So are you saying that you use the basic, old fashioned pants and don't see much difference between them and the expensive covers? Just one prefold fastened with a snappi and the waterproof pants over them? That sure would be cheap...

More questions...

If I wanted to add some AIOs for convenience purposes, I would be fine with just 3 or 4, right? Also, what are your favorite AIOs?

I'm looking at the Planet Wise wet bags to keep in the diaper bag. Anyone use these? Or have something different that they just love?

As far as prefolds go, do most of you just use the Indian or Chinese cotton ones? Any use in looking into the organic hemp/cotton/whatever other options there are?

TIA!

I was just coming to post that she needs a really good washer and dryer. :lol:

:iagree:And lots of hand lotion. I used to babysit for a family that used cloth and they ate my hands up, even just being there a few days a week, few hours a day. Of course, this was back in the dark ages of cloth diapers, so maybe they're not as bad now.

Also, most of my cloth diapering friends swear by Shaklee laundry products. I plan on getting that when I get settled in our new home.

And that's why I started using Amway laundry products long ago, 'cuz so many people told me how good they were. I've been a happy user for over 35 years now. :001_smile:

I think that both Shaklee and Amway products are better than anything you can find in the grocery store, BTW. :001_smile:

You need a stash of heavy duty, cotton pre-folds (I prefer the twill-weight), pins or snappis, and a half dozen or so covers. There are so many covers to choose from. If you want to try Thirsties or something I would also recommend picking up some Dappi nylon covers as back up. They are good covers, albeit not very sturdy. Fancy covers are nice but not every cover fits every baby or every diaper; you won't know until you try it. As long as you have a few pull-on nylon pants as back up you'll be able to figure the out if the other covers work for you or not, and have time to exchange them if they don't.

Have fun!

1) The Duo inserts are to be used in place of prefolds. You can use prefolds instead though.

2) I use a Ziploc or a plastic grocery bag as my wetbag.

3) I use powdered Tide. Nothing else works in my super-hard water.

4) I haven't found an AIO that I am madly in love with, but for outings I have a couple of BumGenius organic AIOs, and a couple of pocket diapers, too (a Rumparooz and a DiaperChange, I think). I also have one Swaddlebees pocket AIO (so you can add more) and it is SUPER super trim but it's very bikini cut, so I'm worried about how well it would contain poo. (I just got it last week.) I mostly use cotton prefolds (from Little Lions and Green Mountain Diapers) and wool, but as that's not an option I like Bummis covers for skinny babies and Thirsties for chunky babies. I have not tried the Duo. I also add doublers for extra absorbtion if I'm going out--I have some thin bamboo flats, some hemp doublers, or sometimes I use preemie prefolds as doublers instead.

I didn't see that someone asked me a question- I do not use the old fashioned covers- not the vinyl ones but the newer Dappi nylon ones. No, they are not as nice as the new ones but considering the cheapest of the newer kinds are at least 4x as expensive I haven't found that they have enough longevity to account for the difference in cost. They might last 2x as long but even then the Dappis last through 2 babies or so(as been my experience). Obviously that depends on your washing, how many you have(and how often you wash) and how long they use a particular size. The Dappi nylon ones I use are 2 for $5

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?products_id=97

They due tend to run big but they also tend to fit a wide range of sizes. I do have velcro for the smaller babes just as that is what I was given and as I said they tend to run big. However, the smaller sizes aren't used for very long at all, a few months for most babies. I start using them around 3 months or so in the size small.