Menu

Need a 4th Grade Math Curriculum

Familyties

Hello ~ I am a newbie here! My two boys ages 4 and 8 (soon to be 5 and 9 in July) will officially start HSing in August. I am on the hunt for a solid math curriculum. I did read a little through the Saxon VS SM thread. My oldest will start 4th grade and is very good at math. However, he is the type that can master a lesson, but will forget it quickly. This hurts him when he needs to use it for another lesson down the road. I was all set to do SM, but since it is a "mastery approach" I don't think it will be the best fit. Friends have mentioned MM (Mammoth Math), MUS, and Saxon. My DS loves math a lot so I want to challenge him, but not overwhelm him. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jacque

Saxon, Saxon Saxon. Very repititave program. alot of schools use this program as well. I taught the Saxon 54 in my fourth grade class and will use it when my son is in fourth. We have been using abeka for lower elementary, wasn't in a position to make use of the manipulatives for early saxon. Saxon has a placement test as well if you are unsure of what level to start him in:).

However, he is the type that can master a lesson, but will forget it quickly. This hurts him when he needs to use it for another lesson down the road.

This was the issue that we had this year with MM. Even though we did the cummulative reviews at the end of each chapter, my kids would forget things. I am trying to figure out if there is away to incorporate more review into each lesson without adding more time. :glare: If I can't figure it out, I may have to switch to a more spiral program for some of my kids.

Angela

Big Saxon fan here. Have him take the placement test. An average kid will place in 5/4 as a 4th grader. Be aware it looks overly repetitive, too easy in the beginning, and like it's not teaching concepts. It's not, it's not, it is. In that order. :001_smile:

Have you looked at CLE math ? ( Christian Light Education)

Try to google it or do a search on this site .

They have extensive samples on their website. It's similar to Saxon but much better IMO . Excellent for children who learn easily but forget easily :)

My son is the same way but CLE math did not give him the chance to forget anything. Cle gave him a love & understanding for math .That said , we do use Singapore also. I cross some work from CLE --what I feel my son has mastered -- and for the rest of the time we do Singapore . I especially like Challenging Word Problems . You do not need to supplement with CLE but we do because my son loves math .

For your younger son , I rec. to start with Horizons K book 1 only , it's fun and comprehensive , then go with CLE 100 if you feel he is ready , if not Horizons K book 2 is a good option as well.

We have used Saxon for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade and my son was doing ok, just not remembering the facts. I finally switched to CLE (Christian Light) just 2 weeks ago and he is loving it!!! So far it is challenging enough, but yet fun. He likes doing the timed speed drills to see if he can do more than he did the day before. The teacher manual for CLE was easier for me to follow as well. It's worth taking a look at the convention. Take your time at the convention as well. There is so much info to take in.

We used CLE for the past two years and it is excellent. It is very similar to Saxon, actually (new material is taught in increments, with the majority of the lesson as mixed review) but is better for a visual learner. Saxon relies more on written explanations and is more textbooky. CLE uses 10 worktexts per grade, so the student writes directly on the page. I personally insist on a math program that has daily review. There's just no sense in teaching something that will be forgotten, plus it's reassuring to the student that she/he doesn't have to master it RIGHT NOW because they will get many more chances.

CLE has about 25% new and 75% review. I am switching to something that has about 75% new and 25% review because I think it will suit my son better, but CLE is great for kids who need LOTS of review.

CLE has about 25% new and 75% review. I am switching to something that has about 75% new and 25% review because I think it will suit my son better, but CLE is great for kids who need LOTS of review.

I hope that the OP doesn't mind me asking, but what are you switching to that offers this amount of new/review? Just curious, since I am now eyeing CLE for my daughter.

Angela

Happy Horizons math users here as well! Just the right amount of spiral review, IMO. Nice pretty workbook pages, timed speed drills (my dd LOVES these. She also likes to try to beat her previous time!), and lesson plans that tell how to incorporate manipulatives in the TM. We do supplement with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems because that is the one thing Horizons lacks is very many word problems (at least at the 1st and 2nd level).

I like the program because it is advanced, but the spiral review makes my daughter confident that she can do math. Only the first section of the worksheet is new material, then the rest is review of previous topics. I truly believe that math is my dd's favorite subject because of Horizons.

Good luck choosing! :001_smile:

Thank you again for all the advice. I truly appreciate it! For those that use Singapore Math as a supplement, what materials do you use? I don't want to buy 2 full curriculum's, but if I feel one math program lacks something, I love the idea of supplementing.

Smiles,

Jacque

Oh no. :grouphug:

We use and love MUS.

It's not all bad, we were only 3 lessons from the end of the book but dd just kept getting scared at the more difficult lessons towards the end of each level. She now tells me she was lying awake at night worried about it.:001_huh:We are giving MEP a try over the summer, so we aren't out any money.:D

I'm switching to Holt Course 1, which is what Thinkwell 6th grade math is based off of. We'll watch the videos on the publisher's website (the same ones Thinkwell uses), do the problems in the Know-It notebook and the Homework/Practice workbook pages for the lesson, and then turn to the textbook for the "spiral review."

I'm using the workbooks at first because he is used to working out of a workbook, plus they use a few problems of each type, so I don't have to choose which ones to assign out of the text. I hope to move over to working out of the textbook by the end of the year.

It looks like ds will have no problem doing Course 1 after CLE 4th grade. I have MM blue series to fill any gaps along the way.

It's not all bad, we were only 3 lessons from the end of the book but dd just kept getting scared at the more difficult lessons towards the end of each level. She now tells me she was lying awake at night worried about it.:001_huh:We are giving MEP a try over the summer, so we aren't out any money.:D

Oh no! MEP looks nice too.

So does CSMP http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/ (also free)

• 4 weeks later...

We use MUS. I enjoy its ease of teaching but do sometimes wonder about its effectiveness. I enjoy finding the why behind the math that I was taught in a rote-like fashion at school but I wonder if I can "see it" so easily because I already know it and there is an a-ha moment for me. I am not sure that happens for my son to the same degree since it is all new territory. If that makes any sense.

DS12 is currently doing Pre-algebra but after he had finished the Delta book (completing all the worksheets and tests) and put it aside we found we had to return to it because somehow a lot of it just hadn't jelled in his minded. He can do division now, so I guess that's what counts but it was disconcerting at the time.

MUS's method is a leap of faith since you can't readily check your child's progress using the placement tests of other curricula but other users who have completed the program say their children did very well in exams.

Julia

My math DS LOVES Singapore. We've never had a problem with remebering concepts, but we also use pieces of the program at various times. We do the textbook together orally (but not the reviews) and then follow up with the workbook pages. A couple units on I have him do the text and workbook reviews. Then when we've finished the semester I have him the to CWP sections that follow what we learned. At the end of the year, he works all the way through the IP books. SM is mastery but it's easy to work review into program if you need to.