Menu

Should I advocate for my Dad? (his custom brace doesn't fit)

He has to wear a brace due to polio. The new brace that he bought has been rubbing a spot on his leg and it has been sore and bleeding for 4 weeks. He keeps bandaging it, etc. to no avail. This is a custom brace and he needs to get it fixed. I think that getting it fixed is a lot of trouble for him because it would require a trip downtown and he might be without one for a while.

I am thinking about calling up the brace people and talking to them about it, and possibly trying to do some of the driving for him or something.

My dad is in his late 50s and is on pain meds for post polio syndrome. He works part time and is on disability. I don't know if advocating for him is something I should do or if it is insulting. I know that if it were DH he would be upset if I advocated for him (DH).

What is your opinion?

That is exremely dangerous. I would do whatever it takes to get that fixed for him. Transportation, phone calls, etc. He shouldn't have to wait to long for an adjustment. I don't think it would be insulting, we all need help sometimes.

I thought it was expected that braces will need adjustment in the beginning. My dd gets leg braces at Shriners and they specifically ask me to look for red spots and sores. We go back in and they mark where they are happening, then heat up the plastic brace and reshape it. Or add padding. It took at least 3 visits to get her braces right, but since then they have been great. The people who made the brace will want to see him and get this fixed. You can explain this to your dad and see if he will take it from there or you can help out by getting an appointment made that fits his and your schedule and then taking him there.

DH is disabled, and I've found that sometimes he is so weary of the long battle with his medical problems that he won't advocate for himself. That is the time to delicately intervene. Yes, it is hard with a father/husband because you want to preserve their independence and dignity, but sometimes having you push a little for them will indeed help. Keep it positive and loving.:grouphug:

Yes!!! Get the brace fixed. DD wears braces and she needs to get her new ones adjusted a few times to make them right each time too. The orthotics people totally expect it and should do adjustments for free. The sores can get really dangerous and the orthotics will do more harm than good if they aren't adjusted correctly. Sometimes it is as simple as a different material for the padding or straps.

I agree. My dad also has post polio syndrome. Although he doesn't have too many issues with his leg. His problems are his lungs. Anyway, I know my dad would be upset with me for overstepping bounds and strong arming him into addressing the issue, however, I have done it before and will do it again. He's always been grateful after the fact that I made him go to the doctor, made him sit down and take a break, etc. He's just too proud to ask for help.

I would offer to drive him to the office and offer to help him around the house while his brace is being adjusted. If he didn't accept my offer, I would just say, "Well, I'm going that way on Friday, so I'll pick you up and make a day of it."

Usually works with my dad. I hope it works with yours.

Thank you for providing a man's perspective.

It would be the odd man who wouldn't appreciate having his little girl showing her love by making sure this sort of thing was straightened out.

As others have said these sorts of things can turn into serious problems and sometimes people get weary of fighting their own battles. I would suspect it would touch his heart for you to make sure the brace makers get it right.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Yes! Could you ask the othotics people to just give him a call saying it was a follow-up service appointment to check out the fit?

Belinda

That's a good idea!

I'm surprised they didn't schedule one from the start. With our orthotics, they always schedule a follow up appt about 2 weeks in to make sure there's no problem. We can cancel if things are good, but the follow up appt is scheduled before we leave with the brace.

Please assure your dad that he is not bothering them or making a hassle. Even custom orthotics need tweaking.

It should be a matter of just heating and fixing. Please help him get it fixed quickly! Pressure sores are not something to mess with and can be a serious health issue.

Do the brace people make home visits? I work with a couple companies who do. Otherwise, call them and they should fit him in immediately. He should have been told to look for redness that didn't go away 15-20 min after brace removal and to call them if that happened.