Menu

Best read aloud chapter books for 5 YO that prefers picture books

My DD8 is an avid reader and she enjoyed me reading aloud chapter books even at a young age. My DS5 (almost 5 I should say) mostly only wants me to read pictures books out loud to him. Though I will say he did like when I read Owls in the Family and How to Eat Fried Worms.

I'm looking for some more chapter books that might captivate him. I read tons of picture books to him, but there are times when I'm reading to both that it would be nice to have chapter books that he too is interested in listening.

I'm reading The Wind in the Willows at the moment with my littles. Winnie the Pooh will be next on our list, then probably working through the Beatrix Potter stories. I'm loosely following Ambleside Online's free reading booklist, but, at that age, it's still a lot of picture books. ;)

There are some great long picture books. Have you read the Eloise books? They are actually as wordy as a short chapter book. There are wonderful long picture books with great vocabulary for kids 5-8, don't push to chapter books too soon. :)

Eloise

St George and the Dragon

Shakespeare Stories

Baloney

Nutshell Library

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I still can't figure out how to get the link in the title. ;) lol

Also, here is an excellent NYT article about the importance of picture books:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/us/08picture.html?src=tptw

There are some great long picture books. Have you read the Eloise books? They are actually as wordy as a short chapter book. There are wonderful long picture books with great vocabulary for kids 5-8, don't push to chapter books too soon. :)

Eloise

St George and the Dragon

Shakespeare Stories

Baloney

Nutshell Library

I definitely agree that picture books are important. We get TONS of them from the library and still love them. It's just that on occasion, it's nice to find books that appeal to both, say at bedtime! I should say also, my dd8 still reads tons of picture books (as well as many chapter books). Just trying to branch out a teensy bit :) But I whole-heartedly agree that picture books are good, good stuff :) We won't be abandoning them anytime soon!

I definitely agree that picture books are important. We get TONS of them from the library and still love them. It's just that on occasion, it's nice to find books that appeal to both, say at bedtime! I should say also, my dd8 still reads tons of picture books (as well as many chapter books). Just trying to branch out a teensy bit :) But I whole-heartedly agree that picture books are good, good stuff :) We won't be abandoning them anytime soon!

I don't think you can go wrong with Henry & Mudge and some of the others that are listed in this thread. There is a way to make everyone happy at bedtime.

I often left the Narnia etc books to daytime reading as by bedtime it was difficult to keep my eyes open for that sort of thing. Henry & Mudge, Goerge & Martha etc were eaiser on tired mommy eyes.

I am still amazed that my dh can read Redwall etc at 10pm to our dd. (Night owls, the both of them.) I do not know how he does this. ;)

My 5 y/o, who rarely has an attention span for being read to, did pretty well with sitting through The Indian In The Cupboard (which is a series). Bonus: My 10 y/o daughter enjoyed the book, too!

My 5 y/o also liked some of the Roald Dahl books.

My 5 y/o, who rarely has an attention span for being read to, did pretty well with sitting through The Indian In The Cupboard (which is a series). Bonus: My 10 y/o daughter enjoyed the book, too!

My 5 y/o also liked some of the Roald Dahl books.

Oh yes, I forgot about that - he loves the shorter Roald Dahl books. We bought a huge set of his books at Costco over Christmas. He's one of our very favorite authors!

We also get tons of picture books for our 4, 6, and 8yo's, but for that age and if he liked the books you mentioned, he may like the original Boxcar Children series, up to about #20 (after that it isn't the original author). Dr. Doolittle is a lot of fun, though can be a bit slow at times.

Also, we love, love, love the series that begins with The Flying Flea, Callie, and Me. There are 3 books, all fast moving, some fun and adventure in every chapter, and FUNNY! The books are short and easy to finish. It's about a cat who's always thinking to himself and "the flying flea" is a mockingbird who forgets to fly south for the winter, and the cat feels he needs to take care of him now. So cute! :tongue_smilie:

Thank you for the wonderful book listings. I tried to post several of our favorites but the links didn't work and now I don't have time to try and redo it. :(

Thanks for trying! If you have a chance later, I'd love the list of your favorites. We read so much, but I am always, always looking for recommendations from others. There are usually lots of gems that we've never heard of or read.

My kids have a similar age gap. I've mostly abandoned the idea of finding books that appeal to both my 7 yr old and 4 yr old. I typically read one book at lunch that I try to have appeal to both but at night I have a "special" book for them both. It takes longer but I find that both kids enjoy the read-aloud time so much more when the book is age-appropriate. They share a room so end up listening to the other's book but not as consistently. Our typical routine is that I read to the 4 yr old on his bed while the 7 yr old either listens or reads on his own or does something else quiet. Then I read to the 7 yr old on his bed while the 4 yr old is quiet. Typically he falls asleep as I am reading to the older one. It's worked remarkably well for us and meant that I can read really great books to the older one that the 4 yr old is just not ready for.

Books that we've liked at 4-5 have been:

Winnie the Pooh (original books)

Wind in the Willows (I had never read it myself and once we started was very skeptical but they actually both really enjoyed it. The trick was getting a version with great illustrations.)

Almost anything by Beverly Cleary

My Father's Dragon

Nim's Island

Ginger Pye

Pinky Pye

Chocolate Fever