Menu

Does pollen turn you into a zombie?

I am unsure if allergies are worse, or allergy medicine. The best I have ever felt during allergy season was when I took Xyzal. I felt GREAT...... until it started causing nosebleeds. I got an ear infection (my first one ever... at age 30) and later realized that was also a side effect. My husband has been taking Benedryal (??sp??) for two weeks and is very zombie-fied. I hate spring and fall for this very reason.

Guest momk2000

My dd is suffering terribly, even with the meds the ped. gave her, she is an allergy zombie. Needless to say, we haven't accomplished much schoolwork lately. I hope this will all pass soon, so she can be back to herself. She has always had seasonal allergies, but this is the absolute worst so far.

I've had a headache for two weeks. Everyone in my family is miserable in one way or another. Everything outside is covered in pollen (dh's black car is lime green), and the wind is whipping it around. We're all cowering inside with windows shut.

Has anyone had more luck taking two smalller does of an antihistimine rather than one large dose? I started taking 180 mg fexofenadine this week, but, like many 24-hour pills, it seems like it wears off after 12 hours or so. Although you can't split a 180 mg pill, you can get 90 and 30 mg pills. But will they wear off in 6 hours and I'll still be miserable for 2?!! I take the pill at 8 a.m., so when it does seem to wear off around 8 p.m., at least I cango to bed...so lame... :tongue_smilie:

You are definitely not the only one! Most of our family suffers from allergies to pollen. I am also pregnant and can't take anything high powered enough to deal with them!

The pollen from the pine trees here in GA looks like yellow smoke billowing in the sky! Ack!

I thought it was just me!

Allegra is keeping the allergy symptoms at bay, for the most part. But I still feel like a zombie. I'm not sure if it's the Allegra (which is supposed to be non-drowsy) or if it's the allergies themselves. I read somewhere that seasonal allergies can cause fatigue, especially in the morning.

I'll be so glad when this time of year is over. Except that it's followed by ... the heat of summer -- which can also make me feel like a zombie. ;)

It used to.

After allergy shots, it is much better. I just get a bit tired on very high pollen days. Also, on medium or below pollen days, I just need 1/2 a Claratin. On high pollen days, I take the 2nd half before bedtime. I used to take the whole dose throughout the season and was still miserable.

Unfortunately, they don't have shots for food allergies yet, those are my main problem now.

I am a wreck. An absolute wreck. My eyes feel like some is pouring acid on them. And the biggest problem is.... I'm going in for an allergy re-test tomorrow, so I've had to quit everything for 4 days now. I can't have any anti-histamines in my system or it throws the test. I think if I could just cut my head off I'd feel all right!

Can I join the club? Last week I felt like I got hit by a truck. We can't afford the really expensive allergy meds so we tried Alavert...it doesn't work very well. :glare: Allergies are killing my ds13 so I might just have to bite the bullet and buy a better med.

Well, these depressing replies are very encouraging.;)

I'm sorry for everyone who is suffering with this, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

I don't get the itchy eyes or runny nose but a post nasal drip with cough and occasional clogged ears. The worst part is that I just can't get myself out of the deep fog of the morning hours and it's a fight to keep myself from falling back into bed.

At times like these, I'm glad we kept on track with schoolwork until mid-April and already finished some things for the year. Otherwise, I'd be even more depressed about what's not getting done.

At times like these, I'm glad we kept on track with schoolwork until mid-April and already finished some things for the year. Otherwise, I'd be even more depressed about what's not getting done.

This!

We've had an incredible year in terms of working hard and finishing up many of our subjects (not typical for us). I'm really thankful for that, because this allergy season is really slowing me down and I'd hate to think that we still had a month of our regular schedule ahead of us.