Menu

Calling all hair experts, is this possible

I have always loved Julia Roberts hair form Runaway Bride (I think it's that movie). Big wrap around your wrist curls. I can get this, but only with hot rollers and only for about an hour or 2. Can I get this with a perm? I've seen body and I've seen spiral curls. But not really what I want.

Then the next question is how do I find someone? I go to cheap hair places. I grow my hair out a lot between cuts. Right now it's been7 or 8 months. But she cut it too short for a pony tail for running. I loved the style, but it was too short. Anyway, I don't want to trust a perm to a cheap salon. And I don't know anyone whose hair looks like I want mine to look.

Of course with my length hair, it would probably end up looking like this. Picture on left hand side.

Trying to get a picture of myself. Please excuse the unhappy cats.

So what do you think, will what I want work?

post-265-13535084830092_thumb.jpg

post-265-13535084830092_thumb.jpg

I would ask friends where the best salon is in your area. Then go to it for a hair cut just to check it out. If you feel comfortable with them, then I would do it.

I've gone to cheap places and expensive places. You can get bad cuts/perms in both. But the chances of getting a really good cut/perm in a cheap place is slim.

I love big soft curls. I didn't know it was possible to get them with a perm. Good luck.

Have you tried the larger curling irons (1 1/2- 2")? I have long hair and I spray some styling spray on it, then curl it in chunks. Then I finger comb it, spray it with hairspray, and leave it alone. It stays in all day.

:iagree: A perm is not really what you want, I don't think. You need some styling product to get the curl to stay, particularly in humid conditions.

mother may i - what hairspray do you use? my curls only stay for a couple of hours at the most. it is a little humid here. (western oregon). I don't want crunchy hair, but I would like a little more staying power. I hate wasting money on one product after another and haven't found one I like that well yet.

Jen

My daughter is a hairdresser, so I asked her. No, you do not want a perm. What you can do, is use a wide flat iron. Use that to make the curls. While you are doing it, you can spray it with a set spray. When done, use a freeze spray. There is a hair spray called Freeze It. Comes in a gold spray bottle. She says do not bother with the expensive hair sprays like Paul Mitchells or Nexxus. Not worth the $$.

She said to get the underneath, use hair clips to clip part of your hair up, do the underneath, the let the rest down. Kind of like you are straightening your hair, only the opposite.

She said you can do it in rollers, but they won't stay as long as using the flat iron.

Well part of your trouble is that Julia Roberts there had layers, and it looks like you don't. Your hair has some wave on the ends in your pic. With mine, layers let some of the curl come out. The hairdresser that does your layers will show you ways to get them to work. I had one do it with a flat iron and the a roller brush, but another used gel and a diffuser.

Now this is ornery, but I was thinking how much fun some COLOR would be on your hair. You know, a bit of red... If you like her hair, you might even go for the JR red. It would look pretty when you run.

Like I said, just an ornery suggestion. :)

My daughter is a hairdresser, so I asked her. No, you do not want a perm. What you can do, is use a wide flat iron. Use that to make the curls. While you are doing it, you can spray it with a set spray. When done, use a freeze spray. There is a hair spray called Freeze It. Comes in a gold spray bottle. She says do not bother with the expensive hair sprays like Paul Mitchells or Nexxus. Not worth the $$.

She said to get the underneath, use hair clips to clip part of your hair up, do the underneath, the let the rest down. Kind of like you are straightening your hair, only the opposite.

She said you can do it in rollers, but they won't stay as long as using the flat iron.

How do you make curls with a wide flat iron????

No, I don't think that you can. I have tried many times and failed as have a few of my dd. I have asked many hairdressers as well and they have all said that you can not get those kinds of curls with a perm. You can get enough body with a perm that your hair will hold that style between washes (at least mine will) but you still have to curl after washing and with that much hair it can take an hour. I used to do this when I was young and didn't have six kids clamouring around my feet but now I go with what nature has given me because that is all I have time for.

How do you make curls with a wide flat iron????

It involves holding the iron horizontally and wrapping the hair around it. You need to use a good thermal protectant first and a good hairspray at the end. I've only seen it done on fairly long hair.

There are some good instructional videos on youtube.

mother may i - what hairspray do you use? my curls only stay for a couple of hours at the most. it is a little humid here. (western oregon). I don't want crunchy hair, but I would like a little more staying power. I hate wasting money on one product after another and haven't found one I like that well yet.

Jen

I don't use expensive stuff...I have to check the brands and get back to you. My hair isn't crunchy, but it does feel like I have product in it...I try not to touch it after I am done with it- . I live in SW WA, so our climate may be somewhat similar. Do you have any natural wave to your hair? My hair isn't curly, but I have some body to it. I do agree that layers help make the look. I don't use a flat iron, but I do the same thing that dancer suggests. I wrap the hair around the iron, then sort of drag the iron down to release it so the entire length of the hair from root to end is getting curled- then I leave it alone until my whole head is finished. It only takes me about 10 minutes, and I get the look you are going for. You may need to play with it a bit, but I believe it is doable.

I had my hair permed in October with a curly perm. It was so awful that I had to go back to the salon to get them to style it for me for a wedding a week later. (I had tried to get the perm done three weeks ahead of time but was very sick, so it's not that I'm just stoopid or something. :) )

They curled it all over, but I looked like a mushroom. :) So, I went home combed it all out, and then it looked more like what I wanted. The next day, when we had the family reunion luncheon, it was *perfect* with the big loose curls like you've described.

However, and here's the key info for you, it wasn't until my regular cheapo hairstylist ($8 cuts) layered it that it did what I really wanted. And it took about six weeks for the perm to settle into something really workable.

I'll never do it again. I'm going to keep the layers and try working with them for awhile beforre I decide if I want to grow it out into my boring, but reasonably presentable, bob.

Well part of your trouble is that Julia Roberts there had layers, and it looks like you don't. Your hair has some wave on the ends in your pic. With mine, layers let some of the curl come out. The hairdresser that does your layers will show you ways to get them to work. I had one do it with a flat iron and the a roller brush, but another used gel and a diffuser.

Now this is ornery, but I was thinking how much fun some COLOR would be on your hair. You know, a bit of red... If you like her hair, you might even go for the JR red. It would look pretty when you run.

Like I said, just an ornery suggestion. :)

You're right, I don't have layers right now. It needs a cut anyway. And that pic is from ... Well, when it was cold. It's not that I don't like layers, I just needed to grow it long enough for a ponytail to run in. It's just one of those things. When I race with hair down, it feels weird and that's all I can think about for the first miles - my hair isn't right! :)

Thanks for the color suggestion. It probably would look good. But I'm starting to get a few grays and I keep saying how I'm not going to color my gray. ;)

No, I don't think that you can. I have tried many times and failed as have a few of my dd. I have asked many hairdressers as well and they have all said that you can not get those kinds of curls with a perm. You can get enough body with a perm that your hair will hold that style between washes (at least mine will) but you still have to curl after washing and with that much hair it can take an hour. I used to do this when I was young and didn't have six kids clamouring around my feet but now I go with what nature has given me because that is all I have time for.

Thanks for this! Actual experience! And my hair in the past has been hard to perm. I'll have to try the flat iron thing.

Yes. What the above posters said about the flat iron. And yes, good vidoes on Youtube on how to achieve it. I am lucky in the sense that my daughter can do mine. I won't even use a box color and do it myself. I would probably screw it up:lol:

If you choose to layer your hair, be careful. To short of layers may give you the Shirley Temple look.

Use a decent finishing spray, and then use a freeze spray after(lightly) and it should hold.

If you do the flat iron,and layers, and get a new look, I want pix!!

Ok, here you go:D: After drying my hair I use Paul Mitchell Fast Drying Sculpting Spray. When I finish curling I use Loreal Studio Strong Suit Mega Spritz Finishing Spray-this is my every-day product, and on occassions when I want extra hold I use (wait for it)....

Big Sexy Hair Spray and Play (aerosol).:tongue_smilie: TMI??? Now to go hide in shame:lol:...

Hope this helps!