Menu

Dd has tick in her head, can't remove it

Dd found a tick in her hair tonight. She had shampooed but found it when laying in bed. It's stuck so tight!!! Dh doesn't want to go to urgent care but I don't want it left in her! It's a Lone Star tick with the dot on it.

It's not engorged. We weren't in the woods this week except last Monday...surely it's not been there that long????

How do we get it out? Or do I make dh take her to urgent care?

tweezers as close to the skin surface as possible. Pull with steady pressure. She could have picked it up most anywhere outside. If it isn't engorged, it most likely hasn't been there since Monday. The sooner you remove it the better. Swab the area where it was attached with alcohol once you get it off.

Vaseline makes them pull out because they can't breathe. After living in the south for 15+ years we pull them out with our hands and never fuss about it. We stomped bloated ones and dropped the others in a bottle of rubbing alcohol devoted solely to that purpose.

In all the years and all the ticks we've ever removed from people and pets only ONE of them caused an issue. It was Rocky Mt. Spotted fever and you have to be on special meds to clear that up so a typical antibiotic doesn't help.

Honestly, I wouldn't stress over it. I'd keep an eye on the area and if it looks "funny" I'd have it looked at, otherwise I'd go on as normal. :)

Oh, Tess -- I'm so sorry -- I just saw your post.

Nighttime Pediatrics at Dulles Town Center is an excellent place to go for that kind of stuff. We used them all the time when we lived in Annapolis -- there was one nearby.

Glad you took care of it -- we are all being super vigilant -- I slept all day yesterday AND all night last night -- BUT the good news is I am feeling less pain.

Hope she's okay -- glad you got abx.:grouphug:

I'm glad she went in. :grouphug:Prayers:grouphug:

They too couldn't get it out. Got body and had to dig for head. She has antibiotics. She's so worried about diseases though:-(

We apparently need to look more for ticks !