Menu

Dr. Hive, tell me about GERD and reflux

Because while I didn't have a scope done yet, my Doc is going to start treating me for this. I don't really have bad heartburn, but I have had it a bit and have had some laryngitis I can't shake and a choking/strangling feeling. (I also am going to start trying to deal with anxiety without meds at first, but he thinks the anxiety is just making the condition worse.) Also, some iron pills I took for a short while may have made things worse. He said to stop those.

I have a prescription to pick up that I don't know what it is. Also, the healthfood store lady told me I should try a heartburn tea with marshmellow and spearmint in it (and she said to stay away from any acid reducers.) She also said that once I have this a bit more under control, I should try an iron pill made from beets instead of a prescription one that is so harsh.

So for those dealing with this- conventionally or holisticly- what sorts of foods should I be eating? What do I stay away from, and do I have to avoid it forever? Do any of you sleep on a wedge or raise your bed?

Because I admit, I saw the no tomatoes, no garlic/onions, no chocolate, no caffeine, no coffee on some of the lists I'm digging up online and just about fainted :lol:. But clearly I need to do something as I sit here at 1 AM suffering.

Thanks!

I've had GERD/reflux for years. I take Nexium, which works great for me. I take it early in the morning when I first get up and then wait 1 hour before breakfast. With the Nexium I can eat pretty much everything on the list without problems. I do avoid raw onions and raw broccoli most of the time. I also avoid popcorn, if it has real butter on it, after 4pm. If I forget my Nexium EVERYTHING bothers me, but particularly tomato based foods. It's also a good idea not to eat within 3 hours of bedtime and to raise the head of your bed. I just position two pillows so my head is elevated a little more. Some folks on here have recommended a wedge pillow, but I haven't tried that yet. Sleeping on your right side is better too. When you lie on your left the esophagus is lower than your stomach and reflux happens VERY easily. I'll be interested to hear the natural suggestions. :bigear: I am MISERABLE without the Nexium, but if something else works just as well I'd be thrilled, because one of the possible side effects of Nexium is bone lose. I do take calcium supplements to combat that.

HTH,

Mary

Oh, and avoid mint, particularly mint-chocolate chip icecream! It's a killer for me!

I have been on Prilosec for years. I can eat most anything I want as long as I take my pill every morning. There are times that some spicy foods will bother me but I never know when that will be. I can eat it one week and be fine but eat it another week and it bother me. And boy do I eat spicy foods! I didn buy a wedge when I was fist diagnosed but it was terribly uncomfortable. I have been told by doctors that putting extra pillows under your head doesn't help.

I've been taking Prilosec for years. Sometimes I'll go a few weeks without taking it, and I do notice a difference, so I start taking it again. I tried raising the head of our bed as is sometimes suggested, but it didn't help and was uncomfortable. I make sure I don't eat within 3 hours of going to bed.

I also have anxiety. I don't take anything regularly because my anxiety attacks aren't regular. Mine are the panic attack type. I do keep Ativan on hand, but rarely have to take one. The gastroenterologist who did my endoscope years ago said he believes there's a connection between GERD/reflux and anxiety. He said he rarely sees GERD patients who don't have some form of anxiety. I'm not sure how the two are connected, but I've read it in addition to hearing it from the doctor.

Thank you all very much! I am still trying to feel this out, but I woke up feeling like crud. It's so strange because I've never really dealt with it before. I guess I'll have it for the rest of my life though now if I'm to understand the doc correctly.

The gastroenterologist who did my endoscope years ago said he believes there's a connection between GERD/reflux and anxiety. He said he rarely sees GERD patients who don't have some form of anxiety. I'm not sure how the two are connected, but I've read it in addition to hearing it from the doctor.

No anxiety here; I'm a pretty calm person. But when I had an endoscopy I was told I had a small hiatal hernia, so maybe that's what allows my reflux.

Mary

GERD can be reduced significantly by weight loss.

It can cause asthma, to the point of being life-threatening.

And it can cause cellular changes that cause esophogeal cancer.

It's important to take it seriously.

Having said that, the medicines for it function in ways that make me very nervous. Eliminating digestive acid production from your system seems risky longterm to me. And there is a recent study that links Prilosec with some really nasty longterm problems, prompting doctors to be encouraged toward milder drugs like prescription strength Pepcid.

This all presents quite a dilemma.

ETA: In my experience, Prilosec doesn't eliminate reflux. Rather, it changes the stomach chemistry so that the reflux is less or not caustic. It's far better to eliminate the reflux entirely; one of the main reasons why I'm working on weight loss. My allergist told me that for a lot of people, there's a weight loss 'shelf' beyond which, quite suddenly, reflux goes away. My PCP tells me that there are lot of thin people who have GERD. I'm betting that I'm one of the former, and my current weight seems to be fluctuating right near the 'shelf' point, and I'm seeing the changes in GERD incidents correlate pretty well with the fluctuations in my weight. BTW, according to the allergist, the 'shelf' can be well into 'overweight' ranges--he doesn't think you have to be thin to get rid of it.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Also, the healthfood store lady told me I should try a heartburn tea with marshmellow and spearmint in it (and she said to stay away from any acid reducers.)

Since mint is bad for reflux/heartburn I don't understand why so many heartburn teas have mint in them. :confused: Herbal mint tea is what I was drinking when my reflux was diagnosed, and is worse for me than a cup of cold brewed coffee. :001_huh:

Sadly, a bland diet does seem to be helpful. Many of my favorite foods cause an immediate reaction: onions, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, mint, spicy foods, greasy foods, CHOCOLATE :tongue_smilie:

Good luck as you seek relief. Giving up favorite foods is hard, but a good night's sleep sounds like it would be worth the effort. :grouphug:

I have had reflux for years....it's painful and when I have a flare it's awful.....right now otc omeprazole is working for me......tried natural remedies and avoiding certain foods instead of meds and it will work for a few days but then it'll be so bad that I can't even drink water without hurting.....I've been sleeping on two pillows for years....during a flare up it doesn't really make a difference-just what I'm used to now I guess.

My dh (who is very thin) has been suffering from this for going on 3 years now. He goes on and off meds, since every single doctor has told him to not go on meds permanently. BTW, in men, a side effect of acid reducers are male bre*sts ... although my very thin dh, rather unlikely, but still ... I do want to point out that if anyone is on Rx meds for this, please, please remember to consider supplements for bone strength. If you need specifics on which type of calcium is best, I'll share. Which type, based on my reading. I could be wrong, of course. Plus, other supplements are needed for bone strength - the right type of magnesium, D3, etc. Acid reducers also reduce B12 levels.

Here is what has helped my dh off and on. Everything works for a while, and then they stop working.

Acupuncture helps a lot. Helps with reducing anxiety and stress levels.

Aloe Vera Juice aids in healing of intestinal tract

It coats the esophagus, keeping rising stomach acids under control

Drink a half-cup twice a day between meals. The juice coats the esophagus, keeping rising stomach acids under control. (Caution: Aloe vera may cause diarrhea in some people and shouldn’t be used during pregnancy).

In India, turmeric powder is a highly regarded remedy for heartburn, because it breaks down fatty foods and reduces acidity.

Chamomile Tea

More Fiber – oat bran, flaxseeds

Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and peppermint. Caffeine increases acid secretion.

Alcohol and peppermint make it easier for acid to creep back up.

Avoid dairy. Milk is one of the most acid-producing foods. I would think that cow's milk is the worst. As usual. Nothing new there.

Acidic foods – citrus juices and fruits

Coke, Pepsi, carbonated drinks

Sugar is a major problem with GERD.

Fats

Fried Foods

Raw Onions

Peppermint

Spicy or highly seasoned foods

Tomatoes

You need to see what works and doesn't work for you. Not everyone reacts the same way.

My dh has just started an Ayurvedic program. Do a search here if you're interested. Yesterday was the first day.

SUPPLEMENTS

Aloe Vera supplements if juice is not tolerated or desired. Although the juice is probably better.

DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated licorice) Gastro Soothe

Slowly chew two tablets before or between meals and at bedtime

This worked for dh for a while. Works for many.

Slippery Elm

Heals irritated digestive tract tissues

Marshmallow Root

Soothes inflamed intestines

Magnesium neutralizes acids in the digestive tract.

Magnesium deficiency is one of the causes of reflux because magnesium helps the sphincter at the bottom of the stomach relax, allowing the food to go down.

For most people on a healthy diet, 400 mg of Magnesium daily should be sufficient. But for those who have symptoms of deficiency (as previously listed), I would recommend more, but probably no more than 1200 mg. Add in more magnesium gradually. Your body knows how much it can handle according to how much your bowels can tolerate. The stools should feel soft, but not excessively loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

I have read that it’s preferable to not take magnesium at the same time as calcium. Others say that it’s fine. This is where I am confused. I think the former makes more sense.

The most absorbable forms are:

Magnesium Citrate

Magnesium Glycinate

Magnesium Taurate

Magnesium Aspartate

Magnesium Malate

Magnesium Succinate

Magnesium Fumirate

Avoid:

Magnesium Oxide

Magnesium Carbonate

Magnesium Gluconate

Magnesium Sulfate

These are not absorbed well and are the cheapest forms

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to Magnesium Glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

Irish Moss in tea form or in capsules – Irish Moss helps indigestion, since it protects the digestive tract with a coating that reduces inflammation, gas, bloating, and heartburn.

B12 – Digestive complications and the drugs we use to treat them – can lead to huge shortages of B12. Shortages can lead to mental fogginess, mood imbalances, and memory lapses. Eat more: active-culture yogurt and probiotics. Also take B12 sublingually – 1000 mg daily. Increase the dose to 2000 mg if you’re over 40 or taking acid blockers.

Cumin Seeds

Soak an ounce of the seeds in water, and eat a spoonful of them three times a day to neutralize acid.

Bitter herbs, such as devil’s claw, dandelion greens, and wormwood, boost enzyme production, which aids digestion and gently neutralizes stomach acid.

Meadowsweet Tea

Pour 2 teaspoons of the dried herb in one cup of hot water; steep 20 minutes and drink once a day. The Native American herb, high in salicylic acid, calms inflammation in the stomach, often working within a day or two. For people on protein pump inhibitors who are desperate to get their heartburn under control without medication, it’s recommended to drink one cup of meadowsweet tea a day and that’s all they need. They’re often shocked that it’s so easy.

Don’t eat before bedtime. Finish eating 2-3 hours before you lie down to give gastric contents time to empty into the intestinal tract.

Prop up your head w/extra pillows. Sleeping flat can lead to acid backflow. This does help my dh, but as with everything, every body is different.

Smaller, more frequent meals

As many as 90 percent of people with acid reflux have a hiatal hernia, where the upper part of the stomach pushes into the opening of the diaphragm and gets stuck.

I highly recommend seeing an alternative practitioner (acupuncture, chiropractor, whatever) - or an integrative physician - one who believes in both approaches.

I have had problems with mild reflux for years but this fall I got it so badly that I could not swallow and thought I was going to die. I didn't even realize that reflux was the cause because my stomach really wasn't hurting. I did get the scope and was diagnosed with esophagitis. I try to avoid coffee, red sauce and tomatoes, fatty and fried foods, garlic and onions, and sauces. Pepper seems to be the worst problem for me. Seems pretty boring but I have eaten with limited food options for most of my life so I have adjusted. I have not be able to get off of my medication yet though I do hope to eventually. I take dexilant which has improved my condition tremendously. I can cheat and eat some of the problematic foods every once in a while. For natural remedies I have found that dyglycerinated licorice seems to help somewhat. I also found that my current reflux problems seem related to hormonal issues. I am 46 now and with the changes that all that brings I think the reflux is a symptom for me also.

another sad part of reflux is that on the list I brought home from the doctor I am to avoid chocolate in every form. I do notice that I can now have it ocassionally without a problem. In fact, today I drank a mocha frappuccino and survived without issues. I think in the beginning it is important to take the medication or try the natural approach but stick with the diet very carefully. You will be able to tell when things have calmed down and can hopefully cheat just a bit from time to time.

I found out I have reflux when I started throwing up when my stomach was empty. My doctor told me to try Prilosec. I never felt heartburn, but it worked! I also found out that the sore throats, what felt like my tonsils being swollen and sore, was being caused by acid. I always thought I was fighting colds! I also found it was causing random bouts of nausea. I am very thin, especially for just having baby number 5. :tongue_smilie: I have a very healthy diet, no gluten, dairy, or eggs. I eat very few processed foods. I find it doesn't matter what I eat, since not eating makes me the sickest! I keep trying to go off the Prilosec and it keeps coming back.

ETA: It makes a big difference to take the Prilosec 1 hour before eating in the AM.

I've been on Zantac twice a day for over a year. I've had awful heartburn for about 8 years, but it got unbearable Christmas before last- I was throwing up bile uncontrollably every few days, and I was stuck in the bathroom for other reasons any time I wasn't throwing up. It cleared up after I started Zantac, but I can't miss a pill or I hurt.

Thank you very much for all the additional information, links to articles, and the natural information! I have taken prilosec for two days now and have felt severely nauseated the entire time. And I do still feel like there's something in my throat on one side.

I'm not sure if I'm going to continue the prilosec for now, but I am going to ask my doctor for the referral again. I think it will help my anxiety if I actually know that there's not a hole in esophagus already.

And you may need to try different medicines, too.

My dh takes omeprazole, my dd16 Nexium, and my dd11 Prilosec. The omeprazole worked right away for dh. Dd16 tried omeprazole, Prilosec and something else before Nexium. One week on the Nexium and she was a new person. Dd11 is allergic to omeprazole :rolleyes: but thankfully the Prilosec works. She had a major flare this winter, refusing to eat etc, so she had to have an upper GI and a bunch of other tests to eliminate other possible causes.

Dh's entire family suffers from GERD so as soon as the girls started to complain of various symptoms, I took them right to the doctor! Dd16 was 12 and dd11 was only 8. Because of dd16's food allergies, we already eat "properly" for those suffering from GERD. I believe their symptoms are dairy-related so this summer, after ds's huge Eagle CoA/graduation party, we as a family are going dairy-free. After a month, they are going to stop taking their meds and we'll see :)

I take Prilosec when I have a flare-up. I had tried Prevacid years ago and it didn't agree with me.

I'm having a flare up this week and it's because I haven't been watching my diet. :glare: When I'm not having a flare up I can tolerate most food in moderation.