Menu

Agonizing over LA for 1st grade

lindsrae

Backstory: I was a high school English teacher in my former life before I had kids. So I have high standards for LA, but I'm not really sure what is best for the elementary years!

My to-be first grader is a very visual learner. She has a low tolerance for frustration. We are wading our way through OPGTR; we are on Lesson 95. (Reading was a HUGE challenge for a while there, and I was ready to chase down the school bus a few times, but things are improving.)

I own WWE1--bought that last year at the convention because I am very nervous about teaching narration/dictation, and I felt that that book would help. I borrowed FFL from the library, and that looks...boring. (I don't know if grammar can be made very exciting, however.)

I have heard great things about R&S, Shurley, and Phonics Road. I think I *might* like PR, but the price is a bit prohibitive. But I am also scared to death of the "gaps," and I hear Tina and others promise the gaps won't be there with PR. I'm willing to commit the time to PR, but I just wish I could hold it in my hot little hands and look at it to see if I think it would work.

I guess my question is...How do I know PR is worth it? OR if you use something else and love it, feel free to talk me into your program. And tell me what you use for writing/vocab/spelling, etc.

Former English teacher here too! I've been thinking a lot about these things for the past six months when I first decided to homeschool my first grader next year. After watching my daughter pick up a lot of reading through being read to, trying to follow along with me as I read, learning sight words, figuring out words through context, and blending sounds while learning "irregular" words, I've come to the conclusion that we just don't need a heavy phonics program. I think intensive phonics instruction can be necessary for some children, but I really believe the average child mostly needs a lot of wonderful books around and some light practice with phonics, grammar, and spelling, preferably in the context of reading and writing.

We've decided on FIAR for the core and I'm adding in Explode the Code workbooks for light phonics practice and trying to decide now about adding a grammar program--(I just posted a question about the merits of Growing with Grammar vs. FLL, not sure I even want to bring this in yet). I chose FIAR because I love the idea of a literature-based curriculum and a more natural learning style. I hope to introduce journaling halfway through the year, as well as different kinds of writing activities like letters, stories, etc.

Another option is using AAS for phonics and spelling--I haven't tried it but so many here just love this program. It could solve that problem of not wanting to leave any "gaps." HTH!

I have used several things but honestly the thing that seemed to work the fastest as far as just getting them reading independently was the Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. After my girls did that book they just took off on doing all the Explode the Code books on their own and are both great readers now.

I was hoping to do PR simply because I figured it was an easier transition into Latin Road, when my kids got to that age. If you're planning on using LR, then that makes sense. If you're not planning on using LR, or if it truly is too cost prohibitive to you (it is to us), then Rod and Staff has a wonderful phonics and grammar program that would work just fine. It's rigorous and complete. I still hope to transition into PR and LR at some point, because I just think it looks so cool, but for now, we're going with R&S, until I can afford it.

If your child is a very visual learner, she might like Jolly Grammar. It's actually spelling and grammar, but we already had a spelling program, so I'm just using it for the grammar. It's very gentle, with a worksheet for each lesson to color, draw, etc. It also teaches the Montessori way, like nouns are black, pronouns are pink, etc. and there is a sign for each grammar term.

Another option is The Sentence Family. I looked at that, but I can't draw, so I'm still on the fence. It's made for 4th graders, so you would probably have to take it very slowly, but I like the idea of teaching the parts of speech with pictures.

We used FLL briefly but it was boring for us. It had very few pictures, which did not work well for Ariel, who is a visual learner. She loved the picture study lessons, though.

We don't do vocabulary because Ariel is still in the learning to read stage. Once she finishes that, I'll probably switch to MCT's English program. We use Apples & Pears for spelling, which is good for me, because it's open and go, and doesn't teach by rules like AAS. We tried AAS, but she would memorize the rule and be completely unable to apply it. A&P seems to be sticking. Right now we're taking a break from WWE, we did level 1 last year and she wasn't quite ready for level 2 when we started up in January, so we've been doing some narration, dictation and copy work on our own until I feel that she's ready.

IEW: primary arts of language. You child is probably past the beginning. But, it would still be a good match I think. You could decide where to start. They have a money back offer if it is not a good fit. The price tag is much better than PR. It uses AAS for spelling. I find it VERY similar to the meat of PR. (I have sold PR recently). So far, we LOVE IEW PAL. We also use MCT. This is great for my visual learner!!! Good luck!

Former English teacher here too! I've been thinking a lot about these things for the past six months when I first decided to homeschool my first grader next year. After watching my daughter pick up a lot of reading through being read to, trying to follow along with me as I read, learning sight words, figuring out words through context, and blending sounds while learning "irregular" words, I've come to the conclusion that we just don't need a heavy phonics program. I think intensive phonics instruction can be necessary for some children, but I really believe the average child mostly needs a lot of wonderful books around and some light practice with phonics, grammar, and spelling, preferably in the context of reading and writing.

!

I have to humbly disagree that most average children don't need intensive phonics. Quite the contrary, every child needs to have a good foundation in phonics/reading/spelling for future word study and composition. If I only offered light phonics practice along with the many wonderful books I have already exposed my dc to, they would not have learned to read.

I just started using PR Level 1 with my K dd. It only takes a short amount of time to do, but it is already so rich. I really do think it is going to be a great fit for us. So it's well worth it, imo.

I used A Beka K to teach her to read, so she is already reading well. But, so far, PR is fantastic. I almost wish I would have started it earlier.

IMO, you cannot go wrong with PR especially if OPGTR has been a fight. PR is gentle in the first level but will give you the strong LA foundation you are looking for. Also, there are no boring lists of words to read through. I do, however, believe Abeka is top notch as well. Either program will lay a strong foundation. But, to me, PR is much more streamlined and easier to use. I've also been sold on the method for quite some time.

Edited by momofabcd

There are always "gaps." :001_smile:

Other than phonics and some handwriting, I don't know how much "language arts" you are wanting for a little person who's just 6ish.

Personally, I prefer Spalding for teaching literacy skills (reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, some composition).

I can't think of any English-related product of R&S's that I'd recommend for a 6yo. I don't think Shurley English is necessary, either. In fact, I don't think formal grammar instruction is important for dc this age.

If I could go back in time and have a do-over with my kids, I'd pick FLL and WWE and stay with them. We jumped into a new curricula every year from 1st until 5th. We're at the end of the grammar stage and I wish we had started with FLL & WWE but we're using them now and think they're both wonderful!

We have discovered that we love Language Arts so I'll share what's worked for us. My daughter loves to write so our choices are not limited to programs that don't require writing.

Grammar

Growing with Grammar - We like the visual aspects of seeing grammar examples and the opportunity to practice what we learn. This starts for grade 1, and since last fall, has been our main grammar program.

First Language Lessons - I like the memorization of grammar terms. It can be redundant for children who pick things up fast, so we go off the script and combine 2-5 lessons at a time. We'll be starting FLL3 next month and I'm determined to just do 1 lesson (2 at the most if it's short) going forward.

Phonics

We are pretty much done with phonics and I loved Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. It did a very thorough job and once we were done, my daughter was reading amazingly well. We finished the book and are now using the last ETC phonics book just for review.

Spelling

All About Spelling has been amazing for us. I love knowing how and when to apply the spelling rules. It is very systematic and has been very effective. We sped through the first few books and just cannot get enough of this program. I imagine we'll continue our eager pace and finish this sometime in second grade.

Writing

We're using Write Source which takes advantage of my daughter's eagerness to actually write. We started with WWE but dropped it. It's hard to ditch something that's so popular on these WTM forums, it's the one thing that almost everyone here recommends for this age, hehe.

Vocabulary

Various resources - Wordly Wise has been our main program since age 4.

MCT Island

We just started this and are having a blast. My daughter likes to take the "teacher's manual" and teach me! :) We're just doing the grammar book first, but intend to do their whole program - poetry, vocabulary, writing, grammar...

Backstory: I was a high school English teacher in my former life before I had kids. So I have high standards for LA, but I'm not really sure what is best for the elementary years!

My to-be first grader is a very visual learner. She has a low tolerance for frustration. We are wading our way through OPGTR; we are on Lesson 95. (Reading was a HUGE challenge for a while there, and I was ready to chase down the school bus a few times, but things are improving.)

I own WWE1--bought that last year at the convention because I am very nervous about teaching narration/dictation, and I felt that that book would help. I borrowed FFL from the library, and that looks...boring. (I don't know if grammar can be made very exciting, however.)

I have heard great things about R&S, Shurley, and Phonics Road. I think I *might* like PR, but the price is a bit prohibitive. But I am also scared to death of the "gaps," and I hear Tina and others promise the gaps won't be there with PR. I'm willing to commit the time to PR, but I just wish I could hold it in my hot little hands and look at it to see if I think it would work.

I guess my question is...How do I know PR is worth it? OR if you use something else and love it, feel free to talk me into your program. And tell me what you use for writing/vocab/spelling, etc.

We love PR. My 5.5 yo daughter (6 next week) is soaring with it. The only trouble we have is that a one week lesson is taking longer than a week because of a. her short-ish attention span, b. the fact that we are going into summer mode here...but I'm not bothered by that. We had attempted the OPGTR, and wading is a good way to put it. She would fuss and fight reading lessons so much. She needs pictures. Context. Stories. Mercy! Unfortunately my devotion to all things SWB and PHP did not translate into her developing a love for that book! So we went to Pathway Readers and she does well with those. She really enjoys the stories.

PR, however, she loves. She is always ready to sit down to the lessons, there are a variety of activities, she loves reading and coloring her own pictures for the stories (she takes this very seriously! I can't imagine doing it with my son :tongue_smilie:) and the phonograms and markings make perfect sense to her. She even applies them when we do the Pathway Readers. It has been a godsend.

I will work through level one in its entirety next year. I have also purchased the Bridge to the Latin Road for my son. It all just makes sense.

and then you get an 8-9 yo who can't spell his way out of a paper bag because words suddenly don't make sense like the simple words he's been reading up until this point. Fantastic reader...miserable speller / writer. If I had it to do over I would have gone much deeper into phonics than I have, and now that he is 9 we are having to remediate (with great success, thanks to AAS and PR ) but still...

and then you get an 8-9 yo who can't spell his way out of a paper bag because words suddenly don't make sense like the simple words he's been reading up until this point. Fantastic reader...miserable speller / writer. If I had it to do over I would have gone much deeper into phonics than I have, and now that he is 9 we are having to remediate (with great success, thanks to AAS and PR ) but still...

It sounds like he would likely have benefited from more phonics instruction, but I still believe kids like this are in the minority. I have never seen research to prove that intense phonics instruction from an early age improves spelling for the general population (and I wrote a master's thesis on a related topic, so I looked at a lot of research). I was an avid reader since early childhood who had no real phonics program, and I won a regional spelling bee two years in a row in middle school. I don't buy that heavy phonics leads to great spelling and whole language leads to bad spelling. So much of it has to do with how your mind works.

I'm in the same situation. I blew off intensive phonics with my older two, because they were reading quite well, and now I really regret it. They're still excellent readers, but their spelling definitely leaves something to be desired. I really, really wish we'd stuck with the R&S program that we were using, or that PR had been available then. I'm in Round 2 now (middle child is coming upon school age ;) ), and I won't be making the same mistake twice.

I use OPGTR for me - so that I know what to teach and when to teach it. I make games for Monkey. File-folder games that use the word lists from OPGTR, plus Happy Phonics games, though at lesson 95 I don't know that I would use HP. I'd probably stick with a few chutes & ladders style boards on file folders. Monkey loves the monster that eats the words after he reads them. That sort of thing. I think he actually gets more practice with the words than he would have if we were doing OPGTR on its own: we'll often get through the whole word list twice in the course of a game, and if it's a short list, we'll do it 3 times. I think we're going to go ahead and do all of the lessons in OPGTR this way. I was taught with some sight words and some incidental phonics, and a whole lot of good reading, and I am still a terrible speller. I've been working on it for a number of years now (spell-check is slowly teaching me), but I regularly would leave out whole syllables. As I'm teaching phonics to my son I'm realizing how useful it would have been to have been taught this way. Sure, there's still some things that will just have to be learned, but my goodness, it's a whole lot less guessing! I used to ask Mom, "How do you spell ___," and she'd tell me to go look it up in the dictionary. How the heck am I supposed to find it in the dictionary if I don't know how to spell it? Don't get me wrong, I love the dictionary & own an unabridged one, which I have been know to just browse through. But it's completely useless to me if I don't know how to spell the words. I believe that good solid phonics instruction would have helped.

As for Grammar, we do FLL, nearly completely orally except for the narrations, and Monkey's not crazy about it, but it's effective and it doesn't take long doing it that way. Maybe 5 minutes.

We love Phonics Road. Here are some thread titles that might interest you, including one comparing the grammar in FLL to the grammar in PR. I love that we are marking our sentences in PR 2, getting ready for diagramming.

I am not sure if we will use Latin Road, but a strong foundation in phonics, spelling, literature, writing, vocabulary and etymology is my goal!

Oh, I am a big fan of WWE and you can use WWE level one with PR level one. :)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I have a ds who is 11 and we're going into our 6th year of hs'ing.

I used OPGTR before first grade and my son was reading GREAT by the end of summer for K. I never purchased a phonics program. We began our first grade year using Spelling Workout A, and he is now in 5th grade and on Spelling Workout G. He's a great speller, and I've never had an issue.

I also used First Language Lessons from first through fouth grade. I LOVED it. My son has such a wonderful foundation and understanding of grammar thanks to that curriculum. First and second grade are mostly done orally, and the overall pace was perfect. It was never overwhelming and we were done with grammar in 10 to 15 minutes every day. DS11 is now using R&S6 for English (we used R&S5 last year) - it's all a piece-of-cake for him. He can diagram sentences in his sleep and has a solid grasp of grammar.

We also have been studying Latin for 3.5 years, and there is also a lot of grammar used in that as well. I've loved that Latin reinforces what he's learned in English and vice versa.

For writing we've used WWE - we're finishing up level 4. I'm still on the fence as to how I feel about it. But for grammar, I would not just pass up FLL. It is a not a boring curriculum - it's very solid. :001_smile:

For 1st grade, my DS is using:

ETC--I count this as phonics, spelling, and handwriting

copywork--also handwriting

Emergent Reader books from HOD (lots Frog and Toad type books up to easy chapter books)--he reads these aloud to me, then answers a few questions or gives a short narration

HOD also schedules a weekly introductory grammar lesson

We'll add a spelling program when ETC is finished, R&S Grammar starting with grade 2, continue with copywork, add dictation, and continue with lots of great books (me reading to DS, DS reading to me, and DS reading on his own).

We do R&S for 1st grade, both the reading and the phonics programs. The 1st grade phonics is very thorough and includes spelling ideas and dictation and reading practice. It is a pretty complete 1st L.A. program on its own if you have some other readers to use like Bob books.

R&S doesn't really begin grammar until 2nd. The reading program does introduce a little bit by the end of 1st, but very gently. In 2nd we drop the reading and finish the phonics and add the English and spelling which are then separate programs.

I even had my early reader work through the phonics. I believed like some other PPs that it was important to understand the intracacies of what she was reading, even though she had been reading for awhile.

Well, I never spent a decade teaching English in a public school classroom, but I am most assuredly an English teacher at heart :) There are days I want to put my hair in a bun put on some horn rimmed glasses and teach about parts of speech all day! I love English language!

I couldn't, in good conscience, tell about 99% of the home schoolers I talk to to skip intensive phonics. I got to this conclusion from my experience in two areas: my own family and neighborhood kids. We saw the lack of phonics come through around 3rd grade by way of spelling and by 4th grade via inability to decode higher level reading. I see it in every kid at my church and think, "Huh?" when people make such a HUGE deal that my kids read well.

As for gaps....My poor kids paid the price. In truth, the money I spent remediating spelling outcosts PR and there is no way I would ever again go for "faster reading" at the cost of deep phonics instruction ---- I wouldn't chance it, especially when there are OG programs for neurotypical kids (like PR).

I get the cost factor, really, I do (we live on less than $30K a year for a family of 7), but I have found the teacher training and the solid foundation that PR lays to be worth every.penny.

We haven't found any gaps in PR language arts. We're heading into level 4 and I continue to be impressed. At young ages, I'd rather use the library for free science and history and spend the money on math and language arts. Hindsight has taught me a lot and one thing *I* know, is PR is worth it.

I can relate to your agony of choosing. There are simply so many choices it's hard to know where to even begin! LA has been a struggle here too. I also have a degree in English, have taught school (both public and private), and now homeschool. We began with SL LA, and it worked for a while. BUT my philosophy of education has grown and evolved over the last few years of homeschooling. My LA choices now are far different than they were those first few years.

I highly recommend listening to ALL 3 of Susan Wise Bauer's writing lectures. They were so eye opening for me! Before you think programs, I'd recommend thinking about what your goals are. Then find things that will help you meet those goals.

FWIW, my boys don't find FLL boring. They really like the short lessons, and they particularly enjoy the optional exercises that are thrown in that vary things up a bit.

Hope you find what works for you!

• 1 month later...
We love Phonics Road. Here are some thread titles that might interest you, including one comparing the grammar in FLL to the grammar in PR. I love that we are marking our sentences in PR 2, getting ready for diagramming.

I am not sure if we will use Latin Road, but a strong foundation in phonics, spelling, literature, writing, vocabulary and etymology is my goal!

Oh, I am a big fan of WWE and you can use WWE level one with PR level one. :)

Do you think WWE1 is necessary or just a good bonus? Also, do you use FLL with Phonics Road 1 as well? We had FLL 1/2 and Phonics Road 1, and I was trying to figure out if I should use them both or if FLL would be redundant. Also, if WWE1 would be a good purchase considering that we are planning to go through all PR levels, or if it would just be added unnecessary work. Of course, I also sometimes dream of jumping ship to MCT too, but that's another story, LOL.

Do you think WWE1 is necessary or just a good bonus? Also' date=' do you use FLL with Phonics Road 1 as well? We had FLL 1/2 and Phonics Road 1, and I was trying to figure out if I should use them both or if FLL would be redundant. Also, if WWE1 would be a good purchase considering that we are planning to go through all PR levels, or if it would just be added unnecessary work. Of course, I also sometimes dream of jumping ship to MCT too, but that's another story, LOL.[/quote']

I like WWE 1 for the added exposure to literature. If you plan to go through PR 1 and 2 then FLL is completely unnecessary and doing FLL before PR will make PR harder to get through, IMO (because it will then feel unnecessary at times).

Your best bet is to get through PR 1 as scheduled or slightly faster... then you will get to plenty of grammar in PR 2.

We found it difficult to stick to PR because we started with PR 1 in 2nd grade with a student who excels in LA. I personally feel that the sooner one starts PR the better. It is so hard to stick to if your child isn't right on grade level (1st for PR 1 and 2nd for PR 2). It is also advanced in spelling, a little behind and haphazard in writing, and about the same in grammar if you compare it to TWTM sequence.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

We are continuing PR1 for first grade and will move into PR2 when we get there. We've used it slowwwwwwllly in K and will pick up the pace a bit this fall. It is a solid curriculum and as an inexperienced homeschooling mom I wanted the intensive teacher training via the DVDs.

My oldest child needs phonics. My middle child appears to acquire language easily and I suspect he will be an intuitive language learner. I had very little phonics or grammar instruction and I am a natural speller and can typically use grammar correctly without understanding the whys of how English is structured as a language. It is similar to how I am able to drive my car without understanding what is going on under the hood. ;) Some kids really don't need as intensive a program as PR to use English correctly but I also don't think it hurts to arm them with the information just in case!

The price of PR is high but I think that the intensive teacher training is unmatched in any other L/A curriculum on the market today and is well worth the $ spent. I think of it like I am paying for an online college class for myself with some additional hands on materials to help me teach my children.

I like WWE 1 for the added exposure to literature. If you plan to go through PR 1 and 2 then FLL is completely unnecessary and doing FLL before PR will make PR harder to get through, IMO (because it will then feel unnecessary at times).

Your best bet is to get through PR 1 as scheduled or slightly faster... then you will get to plenty of grammar in PR 2.

We found it difficult to stick to PR because we started with PR 1 in 2nd grade with a student who excels in LA. I personally feel that the sooner one starts PR the better. It is so hard to stick to if your child isn't right on grade level (1st for PR 1 and 2nd for PR 2). It is also advanced in spelling, a little behind and haphazard in writing, and about the same in grammar if you compare it to TWTM sequence.

Thank you so much for your helpful comments. So, in your opinion, if PR was combined with WWE you'd have an all around solid combination? Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread....

Thank you so much for your helpful comments. So' date=' in your opinion, if PR was combined with WWE you'd have an all around solid combination? Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread....[/quote']

Oh definitely yes. We dropped WWE and I really regret it. In addition, my opinion is that with PR + WWE there is plenty of literature, and all of your basics are covered, so you can rest assured that you are covering all you need as long as you add in math.

I bought the IEW PAL program for my first grader on a whim. Wow, I'm in love with it. It is so amazingly well laid out with everything included. I can get all the prep work done this summer so it is open and go. I have not been this excited about any program yet!

Keep reading my blog. I think the proof is in the puddin'. Despite the thinking that there can't be a "no gaps" situation and also that grammar has to be boring, I disagree with both. My daughter, now entering 6th grade shows NO gaps in LA. She is now in level 4 of PR. I also agree with another poster that RS at the younger ages is not as exciting as PR (for teacher or student). I used RS grammar all the way through level 7, so I have full on experience with it. I also used their spelling on a variety of levels --- I found it was missing application of the skills. 100% on spelling tests and lessons, but it didn't cross over into writing. This is why a phonics based instruction is wonderful -- it promotes Understanding of spelling rules, which translates into application.

:iagree:

Do you think WWE1 is necessary or just a good bonus? Also' date=' do you use FLL with Phonics Road 1 as well? We had FLL 1/2 and Phonics Road 1, and I was trying to figure out if I should use them both or if FLL would be redundant. Also, if WWE1 would be a good purchase considering that we are planning to go through all PR levels, or if it would just be added unnecessary work. Of course, I also sometimes dream of jumping ship to MCT too, but that's another story, LOL.[/quote']

My advice: don't do it. PR comes along very nicely and stands solid on its own. There is NO NEED to add to your dd's workload. PR will bring about amazing writing skills. Don't worry :) You can check out my blog for our latest adventures and see where she'll be by the end of PR2. Keep school short and fun at her age. Enjoyment and developing a love of learning is equally as important as learning how to write. The former you must nurture, the latter -- PR will handle for you in time.

We found it difficult to stick to PR because we started with PR 1 in 2nd grade with a student who excels in LA. I personally feel that the sooner one starts PR the better. It is so hard to stick to if your child isn't right on grade level (1st for PR 1 and 2nd for PR 2).

I want to add that I feel that anyone will be more likely to succeed in PR if they add nothing to it and follow the schedule.