Menu

My dd just got a "Virus Infected" pop-up window. What do I do?

I just ran a scan with Microsoft Windows Essentials this morning and it came up clean and then just now when she went to use her computer she got a pop-up window that says "Win 7 Total Security 2011 - Unregistered Version", with a sheild that has the windows colors, that says her computer is infected. We have pop-ups disabled and we don't use this program. The icon in the toolbar is a sheild with the Malware colors. I keep getting systems pop-ups now saying virus infection, invasions, etc. It will not let me run any programs and I am afraid to close the window or power down the computer because I know that is how you activate some of these viruses. I did disconnect the internet but I don't know what else to do.

I got that stupid thing on my computer and I had to take it in and get it removed by a computer guy for $90. I was unable to open any programs at all. I had spyware and an antivirus and those didn't catch it.

ETA: I did close everythign and turn off my computer and he was able to get it removed in about 4 hours.

Sounds like you have a virus. If you can download an anti-virus you'll probably be able to fix it. If you can't download an anti-virus try a System Restore.

I like PCtools anti-spywear with antivirus. It does not slow down my computer at all and it do a wonderful job getting rid of my virus.

Yes, you can go to AVG and get the free version and run a scan. AVG is what I use on all 4 computers in my house and what my dad used on all 5 in his house. My dad is also the computer security guy (I have no idea what the official title is) for Lockheed Martin :)

Sounds like you have a virus. If you can download an anti-virus you'll probably be able to fix it. If you can't download an anti-virus try a System Restore.

I like PCtools anti-spywear with antivirus. It does not slow down my computer at all and it do a wonderful job getting rid of my virus.

I was unable to do either of those things, I hope you can! My computer guy says this is some new form of virus that acts like an anti virus software that wont let you open anything until you pay them to "renew" your anti virus. :glare:

When I got that virus, it turned out the virus was the pop up which then infected my computer when I clicked on it thinking it was the solution. I was unable to do anything on my computer and had to have it wiped. I was able to save all of my files though.

The virus came from something on facebook, in case you were wondering.

It won't let me access the internet or run my own virus scan or spyware. My hubby is out of town so at this point what I need to know is if I should just close these windows, or shut it down or just leave it up and running (but diconnected from the internet) until hubby gets home.

DO NOT SHUT IT DOWN! It will take over your computer when you restart. You won't be able to easily run anything.

At this point, it doesn't matter too much if you're connected to the internet. You've already got it.

I successfully disinfected my husband's computer when he got this. (He restarted.) In that case, I had to restart in safe mode and then I had to do something because it redirected any attempt to connect to the internet. You have to go into LAN settings to return it to how it should be:

Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Connections --> Local Area Network (LAN) settings

Under proxy server, get rid of what it has there

I ran two programs that I downloaded onto a zip drive. If you can connect to the internet now, you can download them.

I followed the instructions here and it worked. (Not sure if this is exactly what you have, but take a look)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8693/how-to-remove-antivirus-live-and-other-roguefake-antivirus-malware/

I downloaded the Super Anti spyware thing and Malware Bytes.

Needless to say, I also switched to a different antivirus program. I used Microsoft's to clean up the computer and kept it on there.

Edited by stripe

DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING!

IT IS A ROGUE SOFTWARE VIRUS. If you google the name that popped up on your screen you will see that this is a huge problem right now. Basically, if you have clicked anywhere on that window, you have downloaded some rogue software that will hijack your computer. It mimics whatever antivirus you already have on your system. It is nasty.

What worked for dh was first rebooting in safe mode, then choosing a restore point, restoring the computer to that earlier date, then following the steps here to manually remove the whole thing. http://www.spywarevoid.com/remove-xp-anti-virus-2011-xp-antivirus-2011-removal-steps.html

ETA: This says XP anti-virus, but the program just mimics your system OS and your current spyware/antivirus programs. It also disables your spyware/antivirus and blocks your internet access as well. It holds you hostage, in essence, trying to "sell" you the program with which it has infected you.

Edited by Audrey

I got this same trojan Sunday night. It will not let you open a browser window; it will not let you open Malware Bytes or Windows Defender. (I even tried renaming my MalwareBytes file per many website suggestions, to no avail.) My anti-virus did not pick it up, even during a scan while the trojan was active. I tried starting my computer in SAFE mode, but it had already taken that over. Being able to search for info from dh's computer saved my sanity.

What I did:

Press CNTL-ALT-DEL and open your Windows Task Manager. Go to the "Processes" tab. You'll have to figure out which process is running this virus; I looked for an unfamiliar name and googled a few until I found it. (Mine was pqr.exe; I'm guessing yours is different.) If you Delete this process, the windows will stop popping up--temporarily, until you try to open anything.

I was able to open IE. When IE starts to open, that little .exe file will open back up in the Task Manager. Another VIRUS ALERT-type window will also open up. As fast as you can, X out of the virus alert window, then Delete the .exe file from the Task Manager. You should be able to get IE to open normally.

Google "rkill" and download it. Amazingly, it was the ONLY thing I could download onto my computer. Run rkill. DO NOT LOG OFF. NOW run your anti-malware program, or download an anti-mal program. You should be able to do this, run the anti-mal, and delete the offending files that caused the virus originally.

I totally know how you feel. After working on this unsuccessfully for four hours Sun. night, I gave up until this afternoon. Today it just took me 30 mins. HUGE relief.

Exit out of everything. It may be a scam. Then go online and try to download malwarebytes -- the free version.

Also, I love AVG for a free anti-virus.

PS -- You may have to run your virus program in safe mode. Shut your computer down and press F8 as it's loading up. Then run it.

Ok, in the last year I have had the following virus protection software fail: Norton, McAffee, Microsoft Essntials, AVG or Avast (I can't remember which). Some computers had double protection on them and still got infected by viruses. We also have a firewall and Malwarebytes on all computers and yet I lost my last computer to a virus even after I had the hard drive replaced. It damaged the rest of the hardware. My hubby will deal with the infected computer when he gets home but right now, I am worried about all of the other computers in the house. We all have some variation or combination of protection programs that have failed. Is there some fool proof program or combination that will protect our computers?

It is my understanding that any virus software CAN fail to protect. It is my understanding that this happens more with newer viruses. The program has to detect by recognizing that it is a virus or spot abnormal activity.

There are different things -- not everything is a virus, and a program like AVG will not detect everything.

It's also hard when kids use our computers, because, for instance, AVG may warn that a site may be harmful, but our kids go there anyway because they don't understand.

Do you pay for your Malwarebytes? It is my understanding that Malwarebytes doesn't monitor unless you pay for it. I thought the free version only scans when you manually activate it to do so.

I didn't think you could have two anti-virus programs running at once. I thought it caused conflicts.

This should help clear up some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

Sorry about all of this. No, I don't think there is a foolproof. It helps overall to be careful about what sites are visited. But I that's not always the case. I like AVG because they warn about websites before you click on them if they contain spyware and other malicious things. I have had fewer problems with AVG. I have run Malwarebytes when all else failed. My husband's computer was attacked severely, and Malwarebytes was the only thing that removed it, but I had to do it in safe-mode.

Again, people have to understand that if you get one of those virus warnings, there is a strong chance that it is malware itself. I've explained to the kids that if they ever see any warning, to do nothing and get me immediately.

Ok, in the last year I have had the following virus protection software fail: Norton, McAffee, Microsoft Essntials, AVG or Avast (I can't remember which). Some computers had double protection on them and still got infected by viruses. We also have a firewall and Malwarebytes on all computers and yet I lost my last computer to a virus even after I had the hard drive replaced. It damaged the rest of the hardware. My hubby will deal with the infected computer when he gets home but right now, I am worried about all of the other computers in the house. We all have some variation or combination of protection programs that have failed. Is there some fool proof program or combination that will protect our computers?
Edited by nestof3

I got that stupid thing on my computer and I had to take it in and get it removed by a computer guy for $90. I was unable to open any programs at all. I had spyware and an antivirus and those didn't catch it.

ETA: I did close everythign and turn off my computer and he was able to get it removed in about 4 hours.

That's malware. Antivirus programs do not generally remove malware.

I recommend Malwarebytes for cleaning it up. Its a BIG pain to work with.

ETA: The program Malwarebytes is EASY to work with (once you get past the malware's refusing to let you download/run it). Removing this type of malware is a huge pain because they try to make everything that would remove them impossible-to-difficult to do.

You have to buy a license to Malwarebytes to have it "always running" and keeping you safe. After cleaning two of these malwares off my computer in a short amount of time, I bought three licenses and put them on all three of our computers. Its been over a year and I have not had any more problems since. I was very thankful for Malwarebytes though when I was infected because it would scan and CLEAN my computer without asking me to pay first -- most of these programs would say "yep you are infected" and then ask for money before they would do anything. So when I decided to pay, of course Malwarebytes was where I was giving my $$ to.

Edited by vonfirmath

I got a very similar virus (securitytool) not long ago. I was able to remove it myself using a guide from bleeping computer. Here's the guide for win 7 total security:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

You might try it -- if you get the guide to work, it would be cheaper and quicker than either paying someone to do it or wiping the computer.

Do you have any recent save points? I got this a few days ago and was able to go back to the restore point from the day before. My computer was as good as new.

This isn't really a cure-all. Generally what was downloaded onto your computer will still be there regardless of restoring to a past save point. Best bet is to Google the heck out of the problem until your find a protocol or three for permanently removing the virus

It is my understanding that any virus software CAN fail to protect. It is my understanding that this happens more with newer viruses. The program has to detect by recognizing that it is a virus or spot abnormal activity.

There are different things -- not everything is a virus, and a program like AVG will not detect everything.

It's also hard when kids use our computers, because, for instance, AVG may warn that a site may be harmful, but our kids go there anyway because they don't understand.

Do you pay for your Malwarebytes? It is my understanding that Malwarebytes doesn't monitor unless you pay for it. I thought the free version only scans when you manually activate it to do so.

I didn't think you could have two anti-virus programs running at once. I thought it caused conflicts.

This should help clear up some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

Sorry about all of this. No, I don't think there is a foolproof. It helps overall to be careful about what sites are visited. But I that's not always the case. I like AVG because they warn about websites before you click on them if they contain spyware and other malicious things. I have had fewer problems with AVG. I have run Malwarebytes when all else failed. My husband's computer was attacked severely, and Malwarebytes was the only thing that removed it, but I had to do it in safe-mode.

Again, people have to understand that if you get one of those virus warnings, there is a strong chance that it is malware itself. I've explained to the kids that if they ever see any warning, to do nothing and get me immediately.

We have secure wifi, a firewall and then various anti-virals. We also have the free version of Malwarebytes installed on each computer which we periodically manually run. On my last computer, I had Norton and AVG I think and yet still ended up with a redirect virus that killed the computer. I had Malwarebytes on the computer but we were not able to remove the virus ourselves. We took it to a professional service and they were not able to remove the virus or even save the hard drive. It had to be replaced and even then the computer suffered from further hardware damage that was not worth fixing.

My dd's computer has Microsoft Essentials and McAffe on it and yet she still got a virus. She also has Malwarebytes on her computer but I was not able to run it yet. We haven't had any compatibility issues with running more than one anti-virus program but it could be that my hubby purposely used or configured compatible programs. However, we do have to allow Malwarebytes to run because all of our legit programs try to stop it. I am considering paying for the auto version for the youngest's computer because she is the least security conscious. It looks like she got this from one of her allowed sites (most likely FB).

Yes, you can go to AVG and get the free version and run a scan. AVG is what I use on all 4 computers in my house and what my dad used on all 5 in his house. My dad is also the computer security guy (I have no idea what the official title is) for Lockheed Martin :)

We've been using AVG Free for 4 years (I hated the pay for version) with tremendous success.