Menu

Help! Emergency moth control...

My house will be full on Sunday for Easter, and I have a HUGE moth outbreak in my pantry. :eek:

I've been fighting moths for about a year. Every time I think maybe I've got it all, there's another outbreak. Most of my dry food items are in sealed containers now, and I've seen no evidence of intrusion. Still, my pantry is a disaster area, and I know there's things I'm missing. #1 is that I haven't been able to make myself throw out the paper goods, and I do occasionally find evidence of infestation there.

I'm overwhelmed at the very idea of trying to deal with the pantry and have it clean and moth-free (or mostly moth-free) by Sunday. Just cleaning & organizing the pantry is awful, mostly because my kids have still not gotten over the habit of leaving things just inside the door. Then the next person leaves something, then the things start piling up...pretty soon I can't get the door open/shut because there's a pile there. :glare:

Anyone want to give me a detailed action plan to have the problem under control by Sunday? I have a *lot* of other stuff to do, so I can't just go at it all at once. I need baby steps here, people! :bigear: (Speak to me like I'm 5 and you're a veeeery patient teacher. ;))

I need someone to spoon-feed me a plan to take care of this overwhelming problem.

Edited by Julie in CA

I know everyone cringes at the thought of spraying a toxic chemical inside your pantry, but that is what I have always done at the very first sign of a little winged creature. It's not like the Raid gets on your food, or that you put naked food on your shelves, so I think it's an "ewww" factor more than a real danger. It has always worked, and quickly.

I have almost always found the culprit to be brown rice. If you can only manage one step, and you have any brown rice, I would throw it away ASAP and put all future purchases into sealed containers immediately.

Terri

I know everyone cringes at the thought of spraying a toxic chemical inside your pantry, but that is what I have always done at the very first sign of a little winged creature. It's not like the Raid gets on your food, or that you put naked food on your shelves, so I think it's an "ewww" factor more than a real danger. It has always worked, and quickly.

I have almost always found the culprit to be brown rice. If you can only manage one step, and you have any brown rice, I would throw it away ASAP and put all future purchases into sealed containers immediately.

Terri

Ok, I just checked my brown rice in the canister, and it's ok.

I think if I go through the floor stuff, checking it as I go, and toss what should go, then I'll be able to get to my shelves to check each one. I'm sure there's something bad in there.

As for the Raid, I was wondering if it would kill moths. I'm not afraid to use it on a temporary basis until I can get a grip on the real problem.

Would I just get the flying insect spray?

We have them and the only non-toxic thing I have found that works is spraying a strong concentration of vinegar and water. I even used that on rugs that are used as curtains but where the moths loved to nest. That and letting lots of sunshine in does do the trick but you might need more than one application. Also worked on a woven antique tapestry. Downside is living with the vinegar smell till it goes away.

We had yearly infestations when we lived on the East Coast. It hasn't been too bad so far now, but I'm paranoid.

My only successful (albeit drastic) solution was this:

Step 1- Toss out all infested stuff. If there are those webby things, it goes to the trash (or compost).

Step 2 - Set up those pantry moth pheromone traps -- not too many -- one in the kitchen and one or two in another part of the house. Apparently too many will confuse the moths.

Step 3 - Freeze everything else in the pantry and cupboards. Borrow a friend's freezer or rent a big one if you feel like you need to keep more stuff. Keep it there for 4 days (or indefinitely if there is room).

Step 4 - Wipe down the surfaces and walls with lysol or bleach. (I don't know if this really helps, but it made me feel good about the depth to which I, as a pacifist and proponent of organic cleaning supplies, would go to kill these creatures.)

Step 5 - With no food in your kitchen, clear out all family and pets for an overnight. Close kitchen door and set off bug bombs with open cabinets and pantry. Alternatively, with a mask and a bottle of raid, get to work. I was willing to risk shortening my own lifespan for the cause.

Step 6 - Wash surfaces to get rid of toxic bugspray.

Step 7 - Repaint inside of pantry (ours was walk-in), being sure to caulk any crevices. Lay new cupboard liners.

Step 8 - Buy a gigantic container of bay leaves and keep in pantry (supposedly it repels them).

Those stupid pantry moths come home on groceries and they even live outside here in SoCal.

We keep out the sticky moth traps almost year round, though we catch the most in the summer and fall. Since I started keeping out traps, I haven't had a re-infestation.

I've had them infest my pantry once and a cabinet once. You have to

Throw away everything that is infested,

Seal up everything (I use glass canning jars),

Freeze stuff that takes longer to use (big bag of rice or bread flour for example)

Wipe down all the surfaces with Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap.

Check weekly for re-infestation so you can catch it quickly.

I also take everything out of boxes that I get from the food store. For example granola bars go into glass jars and the box gets recycled.

I've had the sticky traps out continuously.

I think I'm just feeling unable to get this under control by Sunday, when I know one of my sis-in-laws will feel they need to get something out of my pantry whilst getting the big meal on the table. Honestly, it sounds like a huge job just to get it tidy enough to open/close the door! I've been sick with a sinus and ear infection. Now my doc found that my blood pressure is very very low, and thinks that might be why I still feel so terrible. {end of pity party} :nopity:

I can't get past the overwhelm of what to do *right now* and then in the next couple of days, to make this better. Clearly the long-term solutions are good, but I need *emergency* help! I can work on the problem more later, but for right now I need to at least put a band-aid on it and make it look better.Wish I could get away with just locking the door. :o

How about if you just tell you family you are battling pantry moths?

Oh, *sure*, bring logical thinking into this...:glare:

:lol:

I guess I could consider that, but I still have to clean it up enough that they (dh's family) won't have confirmation that I am indeed the biggest slob in the world. :001_huh:

I had them last year. blech

I hired my 2 dds and their cousin to clean out the pantry. They had very specific directions, and all supplies and trash bags were provided.

They did an incredible job. We haven't had a problem since then, either.

Can you hire your youngest dc to clean it out? It might be worth $20 to you right now.:grouphug:

Oh, *sure*, bring logical thinking into this...:glare:

:lol:

I guess I could consider that, but I still have to clean it up enough that they (dh's family) won't have confirmation that I am indeed the biggest slob in the world. :001_huh:

:grouphug: Can you assign certain tasks to the kids? Have one pull out everything that's in the panty floor, then you can go through and mark everything that needs to be tossed with bright stickers or something and then have all the kids toss that stuff out. Another can take everything off the shelves and wipe the shelves down, they can work together to sort everything in a logical way and put it back on the shelves nicely and neatly, and even wipe off the cans/bottles if they are dusty. You can have DH or someone pick up some large plastic containers with lids to store any items in that came in cardboard boxes so you can toss those boxes.

YOU don't have to do it all, and since the kids definitely contribute to the mess it makes sense to enlist their labor in cleaning it up.

It's a real pain. I'm sorry you're having trouble right before company! I had this happen once and I threw everything out, washed or threw out containers, washed the cupboards and started over. :( Sorry.

This is what I did. I took EVERYTHING out and washed the tops and bottoms of every jar, can. Then I sealed rice, cereal, ect in glass and finally I cleaned the shelves with windex antibacterial. I actually opened a jar of bay leaves and put bay leaves on the shelves. I have not had them back, and that was about 5 years ago.

I would NEVER spray chemicals in a pantry. I do use pantry pests and those do a WONDERFUL job attracting moths.

Yep, I'm a freak of nature & motherhood. ;) I'm totally willing to use a bit of spray, then throw out anything that isn't already sealed in containers. I've had the pantry moth traps for almost a year now. It's not working. Clearly I'm still missing something in my cleanup efforts, but for now I need a dramatic temporary fix.

You need to throw out the paper goods. And wash any textiles - towels, napkins, placements - you keep in there.

Contrary to what many people think, the months often deposit their eggs NOT in the foods, but in creases on the ceiling or walls. They love folds in place mats, mittens etc. Look very carefully. Take everything out and wash the walls, shelves etc.

Store paper goods and textiles away from foods, not in the pantry. This was what helped me control our outbreak.

ETA: we just cleaned with soap and water. Chemicals were not needed.