Menu

Looking for a good French program.

My fifth grader (11 now) and I are learning French together with Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn French 1. It's a British curriculum for the middle school ages with parts 1 through 3. We use a student book, the answer book and an audio cd of the exercises in the book. I bought the optional assessment cd for more practice but that isn't necessary.

You can view it here on the Galore Park website. I bought ours used through someone here on the used curriculum board, but you can also purchase new through www.BookDepository.com or through http://www.horriblebooks.com/galoreparkbooklist.htm.

I'm using N'allenart's L'art de lire as well with my ds who is 9, we're on level 2. I'm using their print version that includes the TM, student workbook, audio cd, and flash cards. There is now an online option to save on shipping costs which I will probably purchase for next year. There are a variety of activities and the parent is not required to know french themselves.

Edited by Moniksca

We're using Nallenart's L'art de Lire as well. It's a good program - comes with a pronounciation CD. I'll be starting DS5 on their L'art de Dire program within the next year or so.

I was planning on going on to L'art de Lire with DD but... I'm not really liking L'art de Dire. I really expected to like it but....

I'd really love to see someone post who has used both and can comment on the differences. I've seen good things about L'art de Lire, so I'm wondering if it is much different than L'art de Dire, or if I'm just an odd-man-out not liking it. :tongue_smilie:

I'll second both L'Art De Lire (better for beginners IMO) and So You Really Want to Learn French.

We started with First Start French; it did not work for my dd at all. Next we tried LAdL. It was much better (especially the CD) and is an excellent program. It just wasn't quite right for her; she needed something more. So we are switching to SYRWTL French for next year.

:bigear: Would love to hear more comparisons and pros and cons of So You Want To Learn French and D'Art de Lire. Or any other resources for French. I am in exactly the same position as the OP, but my daughter has had some French at school and I had French in high school and college. We will be homeschooling next year and I am looking for a great French program. Anything with a sense of humor (e.g. MCT for grammar) combined with substance hooks my daughter, so if anyone has any ideas on that front . . .

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread.

I was planning on going on to L'art de Lire with DD but... I'm not really liking L'art de Dire. I really expected to like it but....

I'd really love to see someone post who has used both and can comment on the differences. I've seen good things about L'art de Lire, so I'm wondering if it is much different than L'art de Dire, or if I'm just an odd-man-out not liking it. :tongue_smilie:

What part of L'art de Dire did you not like? I've used both L'art de Dire and L'art de Lire 1. L'art de Lire is workbook-based and focuses on teaching the student to read French phonetically. Each section introduces a different vowel sound and is based on a story that focuses on vocabulary with that sound. I think the progression feels a bit more logical than L'art de Dire. You master a lot of good vocabulary with L'art de Dire, but I often found myself making up activities to supplement. It is very teacher intensive that way, because it is completely oral.

I also found the stories in L'art de Dire a little frustrating (particularly L'histoire de Noe), because the vocabulary hadn't been fully introduced yet. My daughter just looked at me like "Huh!?" :001_huh: The stories in L'art de Lire are much simpler and don't use extra vocabulary that hasn't been taught yet. My daughter has really enjoyed those stories.

The audio component is pretty similar for both programs. We've moved through both programs very, very slowly with lots of review and lots of practice conversing in French. Right now I'm debating whether to buy just level 2 for the fall or whether to go ahead and buy levels 2-6 at once. I'm pretty sure I'm going to finish out L'art de Lire before moving sideways into Galore Park French. My understanding is that Galore Park moves a lot quicker than we could handle at this point. :001_smile:

What part of L'art de Dire did you not like? I've used both L'art de Dire and L'art de Lire 1. L'art de Lire is workbook-based and focuses on teaching the student to read French phonetically. Each section introduces a different vowel sound and is based on a story that focuses on vocabulary with that sound. I think the progression feels a bit more logical than L'art de Dire. You master a lot of good vocabulary with L'art de Dire, but I often found myself making up activities to supplement. It is very teacher intensive that way, because it is completely oral.

I also found the stories in L'art de Dire a little frustrating (particularly L'histoire de Noe), because the vocabulary hadn't been fully introduced yet. My daughter just looked at me like "Huh!?" :001_huh: The stories in L'art de Lire are much simpler and don't use extra vocabulary that hasn't been taught yet. My daughter has really enjoyed those stories.

The audio component is pretty similar for both programs. We've moved through both programs very, very slowly with lots of review and lots of practice conversing in French. Right now I'm debating whether to buy just level 2 for the fall or whether to go ahead and buy levels 2-6 at once. I'm pretty sure I'm going to finish out L'art de Lire before moving sideways into Galore Park French. My understanding is that Galore Park moves a lot quicker than we could handle at this point. :001_smile:

Hm. I'm not sure I even know what I don't like about Dire. I guess I wanted something a little more... scripted? It's just sort of telling me what to teach, without plans on HOW to teach it. I could have pulled this together myself... I thought having a program would save me time. :tongue_smilie:

Lire actually sounds like something that would work for us. DD loves workbooks. Maybe we will try that... since I haven't found anything else that seems to work!

Is the audio in Lire just the French words pronounced or is there some conversation on there? We haven't used the Dire cd at all.

Hm. I'm not sure I even know what I don't like about Dire. I guess I wanted something a little more... scripted? It's just sort of telling me what to teach, without plans on HOW to teach it. I could have pulled this together myself... I thought having a program would save me time. :tongue_smilie:

Lire actually sounds like something that would work for us. DD loves workbooks. Maybe we will try that... since I haven't found anything else that seems to work!

Is the audio in Lire just the French words pronounced or is there some conversation on there? We haven't used the Dire cd at all.

May I jump in with a brief hijack? :blushing:

I've been searching the boards and everywhere else online for a good beginning french program for my soon to be 6 yr old DD. She's a very strong reader and loves languages, and I have some background in French. Would it be reasonable to start with L'art de Lire and just skip L'art de Dire?

Thank you!

(hijack over!)

Dire definitely is not scripted. You have to take the new vocabulary and direct the conversations and activities on your own.

Lire is a workbook, so it's scripted in the sense that there are explicit instructions on each page. I enjoyed Dire as a foundation for my daughter (and plan to start it with ds5 this fall), but she is enjoying Lire much more. I think it makes more sense to her. The teacher's guide for Lire is really just a copy of the workbook with all of the answers to the exercises written in. The Lire audio is everything in the workbook except the exercises. It lets you hear all the words/sentences/conversations/stories pronounced correctly in French.

May I jump in with a brief hijack? :blushing:

I've been searching the boards and everywhere else online for a good beginning french program for my soon to be 6 yr old DD. She's a very strong reader and loves languages, and I have some background in French. Would it be reasonable to start with L'art de Lire and just skip L'art de Dire?

Thank you!

(hijack over!)

As long as your daughter is reading fluently, she should be fine to start with L'art de Lire. Personally, I wouldn't start it with a child that wasn't a strong reader (reading 3rd-4th grade level chapter books easily). Lire teaches French phonics from the very beginning, which could be confusing to a child still mastering advanced English phonics or still trying to gain real reading fluency.

I agree with the pp, level 1 of L'art de Lire is suppose to be started in grade 3 but essentially when the student is fluent reader. I also think that at that age, they're able to do all the writing on their own without groaning each time, at least for my ds.

Another option that hasn't been listed yet is the Le Francais Facile program. We used it last year.

I had looked into this, (and also the Easy Spanish), but read (somewhere..) that it combines French and English, so you'd have a sentence written in English with some of the words in French? Is this true?

That is why I didn't consider those programs. I can't handle going back and forth like that. When I'm in a language, I'd like to stay in it. I have a professor who likes to speak to me in Spanish after we've been conversing in French, all while people around us are speaking in English. At that point I pretty much shut down and can't use any of the three languages! :lol:

My fifth grader (11 now) and I are learning French together with Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn French 1. It's a British curriculum for the middle school ages with parts 1 through 3. We use a student book, the answer book and an audio cd of the exercises in the book. I bought the optional assessment cd for more practice but that isn't necessary.

You can view it here on the Galore Park website. I bought ours used through someone here on the used curriculum board, but you can also purchase new through www.BookDepository.com or through http://www.horriblebooks.com/galoreparkbooklist.htm.

I second this suggestion. We use their Spanish (and used their Latin when we used to do Latin) and couldn't be happier.

I had looked into this, (and also the Easy Spanish), but read (somewhere..) that it combines French and English, so you'd have a sentence written in English with some of the words in French? Is this true?

That is why I didn't consider those programs. I can't handle going back and forth like that. When I'm in a language, I'd like to stay in it. I have a professor who likes to speak to me in Spanish after we've been conversing in French, all while people around us are speaking in English. At that point I pretty much shut down and can't use any of the three languages! :lol:

Yes, it's true. As the program progresses, English lessens. If that bothers you, LFF would drive you bonkers. :001_smile:

Guest sindu
:bigear: Would love to hear more comparisons and pros and cons of So You Want To Learn French and D'Art de Lire. Or any other resources for French. I am in exactly the same position as the OP, but my daughter has had some French at school and I had French in high school and college. We will be homeschooling next year and I am looking for a great French program. Anything with a sense of humor (e.g. MCT for grammar) combined with substance hooks my daughter, so if anyone has any ideas on that front . . .

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread.

French as a foreign language is the second most frequently taught language in the world after English. The International Organization of Francophonie has 56 member states and governments. Of these, 28 countries have French as an official language. French is the only language other than English spoken on five continents. French and English are the only two global languages.

When deciding on a foreign language for work or school, consider that French is the language that will give you the most choices later on in your studies or your career.

French, along with English, is the official working language of

• the United Nations

• UNESCO

• NATO

• Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)

• the International Labor Bureau

• the International Olympic Committee

• the 31-member Council of Europe

• the European Community

• the Universal Postal Union

• the International Red Cross

• Union of International Associations (UIA)

Check more in alllanguages.blogspot.com