Menu

Looking for readers at a 2nd-3rd grade level for my ds10

My ds10 is finally breaking through with reading. I'm thinking he is probably at a late 2nd grade early 3rd grade level. I need some books for him to read that aren't babyish. Any suggestions?

How about the Encyclopedia Brown books? The reading level is 2nd - 3rd grade but each story has a mystery for the reader to solve which can be challenging and might make it more interesting for him.

Heather

What type of books does he like? I remember reading Deltora Quest and Broken Sky when I was around that age, I really don't know what level the books are though....I think maybe a medium 3rd grade level at the highest, I found both series really exciting. I also have some success with my students with Rocket Readers non fiction series and I think another series is called Blue Banana Readers or something like that, those books are good.

There are the Childrens Illustrated Classics series and several Picture books with lots of words on each page, and Arthur Chapter Books were a lot of fun for me too, when I was about 8 or 9.

You could do a quick syllabary, then some syllable divided books.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllabledividedb.html

They are a high grade level, but the syllable division keeps the difficulty level of each syllable at a 1st grade level, they have done the hard work of dividing the long words up for you. So, you are decoding at a 1st grade level while the reading material is written at an upper elementary level.

My DS(almost 10) also has trouble with reading, he's working his way through a series called "Secrets of Droon", there are over 20 books in the series. I would say RL is 3rd grade.

FYI: We are secular HS'ers so the magic(magical "world", flying carpets, strange creatures, sentient pillows) in the story doesn't bother us, others may want to pre-read.

I'm in a similar situation with ds10. I really wanted to find something that was a series.

We stumbled upon this and so far so good! http://www.amazon.com/Knights-Kitchen-Table-Time-Warp/dp/0142400432/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302876342&sr=1-1

He's reading See You Later, Gladiator. There are even some Latin words in the back for him to learn ;).

I would pick up Classic Starts books (lots of other series like that too) from the library. My ds has read abridged versions of Huck Finn, 20,000 Leauges Under the Sea, Robinson Crusoe, etc. (He apparently likes adventure books!) The content of course is great -- definitely not babyish -- and he'll likely be aware at 10 that these are adult titles.

I would definetly recommend Magic Tree House. They are fun and adventurous and have lots of real historical info in them. I can't tell you how many times my kids say while studying history something about reading that with Jack and Annie. There is a Magic tree House Website that has a passport you can print out and little "stamps" you can print when you successfully answer questions about each book. that was a fun thing my middle son really enjoyed.

Other series my boys have liked include the A to Z Mysteries, Geronimo Stilton books, Calendar Club Mysteries, Stink Moody books. Your library should have a lot of these.

When your son moves on to late 3rd or early 4th grade reading level I would highly recommend the 39 Clues series. These books were each written by a different author commissioned by Scholastic. It is a highly adventurous plot with lots of historically accurate information in them as well. There are 10 in that series. The hardcover books came with collector cards and there is a website where you can play puzzle games. There is even a puzzle in the pages of each book! It is quite an amazing series. My oldest son LOVED this series. The middle isn't quite ready for them yet but knows all about them and is anxious to read them, as well!

Good luck in finding something great for your son!

Do you want readers or books? At that reading level, I feel like popular books are the best thing to encourage kids to keep reading. I'm strongly seconding Stink. My son also really likes the Tashi books - they're imaginative fantasy and are short but have a very rich vocabulary. He also recently read the Stuart books by Sara Pennypacker, who writes the Clementine series and we LOVED them. For stand along titles, look at something like Roxie and the Hooligans or something by Dick King-Smith. And, of course, if you can get him hooked on a series - Droon, Magic Treehouse, A-Z Mysteries, etc. then that's good. Those are sort of lacking in the literary quality from an adult standpoint - they're very repetitive and the vocabulary level isn't all that - but that serves a really important purpose in helping usher kids into longer books.