Menu

If I wanted to learn about wiccans,

Disclaimer: I am not a Wiccan. I am a Witch. So, don't consider this an authoritative list by any means.

Web:

http://www.witchvox.com/ is an online community for witches, wiccans and pagans.

http://wicca.cnbeyer.com is a pretty good Wicca 101 site. No fluffy bunnies.

Books:

Margo Adler's Drawing Down the Moon is a classic read.

Most titles by Scott Cunningham, but specifically Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, and Living Wicca.

Gerald Gardner's classic Witchcraft Today (it says "witchcraft" but Gardner is a founder of Modern Wicca, and this title is most definitely Wiccan)

Thea Sabin Wicca for Beginners

Also, titles by Phyllis Curott, Ellen Cannon Reed, and Janet and Stewart Farrar will net you a great deal of info.

IMO, avoid books by Silver Ravenwolf, DJ Conway and Ellen Dugan. Just my opinion, but they're very watered down, fluffy-bunny books with little substance or useful information.

Edited by Audrey

Hands-down the best information on the beginnings of Wicca in Britain, from the philosophical movements in the 19th century that set the stage for it and how it traveled to the US and mixed with radical feminism then returned to change into its more current form is "Triumph of the Moon," by British historian Ronald Hutton. It's a fascinating look at the beginnings and evolution of a new religion. Chas Clifton has written a book on Wicca in America called, "Her Hidden Children." I haven't read that one yet. These are about the growth of the religion (which has split into many different streams) without being a "how-to" book.

For an overview of modern Neopaganism in America (and, by default, many of the various forms of Wicca, since it is the largest religion under the Neopagan umbrella), try Joyce and River Higginbotham's "Paganism: an introduction to earth-centered religions" or "Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism" by Carl McColman. Either of those will give a good overview of modern Neopaganism (with a lot of focus on Wicca), again without being a "how-to" book.

My husband says that if you are looking for a slightly more academic book in orientation, but still with good information, try Barbara Jane Davy's "Introduction to Pagan Studies." It's more of a college intro to religions sort of book, but has lots of good information all in one place.

Edited by KarenNC

Audrey, What is the difference. I am sincerely asking and don't mean to hijack.

Wicca is a religion. Witchcraft is a practice. Some Wiccans are Witches, but not all. Some Witches are Wiccan, but not all.

IMO, avoid books by Silver Ravenwolf, DJ Conway and Ellen Dugan. Just my opinion, but they're very watered down, fluffy-bunny books with little substance or useful information.

What?? You don't want to know how to make love potions that also cure butt zits?? :D