Menu

Is there a template to create my own Sonlight or WP look-alike weekly pages?

Handmaiden

It is really easy to make one in excel.

Open a book and add in worksheets for a total of 36 and then I link the sheets. Once the sheets are linked I create identical formatting for all 36 sheets. I typically do a couple of lines for child's name and week of school. Then, I label cells B3, C3, D3, E3, and F3 as Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. In column A rows 4 through whatever I place the child's subjects or books to be completed. I go into borders and create a grid in the place beside the books and underneath the days of the week. I format all column widths so the the sheets end up being one age wide for printing purposes. I highlight the grid and go into format cells and click wrap text. While the sheets are linked I also do things like decide on fun fonts a, sizes, and colors. Then I unlink the sheets and go to each week typing the pages that need to be completed under the days of the week horizontally across from the book.

TahDah!

Your very own SL style schedule. Save a blank copy and then you won't have to start from the beginning with the second child or the second year.

HTH-

Mandy

I use the table feature in MS Word, and make all kinds of charts and schedules--you can even add color if you want! I'm a little addicted to making my own charts...

I can email you a sample of what mine looks like if you like, I think I tried attaching it here once but it's bigger than the 19kb allowed (I think it's around 40 or 60, not a huge file by any means!). Just email or drop me a pm with your email addy.

Merry :-)

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all your ideas; for the life of me I still can't figure out how to make my own. I ordered the SL IG but it's not here yet, so I have not seen the blank page. I was hoping to do it on the computer instead of handwriting everything, but that might do in a pinch.

Articmom: Donna Young was the first site I thought of too, but I could not find any schedule with the right fit. Thanks, though. :-)

Nukeswife: that's so pretty and colorful, thanks! I need something b/w with more space, but I may use your template for another

Mandy: thanks for taking the time to type out instructions for me! When life is a bit less crazy in a few weeks, I'm going to see if I can figure it out in excel (which is usually the bane of my existence). thanks!

Merry: An email is coming your way, thank you!

Edited by Handmaiden
typo

Open a book and add in worksheets for a total of 36 and then I link the sheets.

I've done an Excel spreadsheet for this too, but I can't figure out how you're linking the worksheets to make the format all the same. Previously, I just created a master worksheet and then copied it for all of the weeks. Maybe it's the same amt of work in the long run anyway; I don't know. But how are you linking them?

I've done an Excel spreadsheet for this too, but I can't figure out how you're linking the worksheets to make the format all the same. Previously, I just created a master worksheet and then copied it for all of the weeks. Maybe it's the same amt of work in the long run anyway; I don't know. But how are you linking them?

To link sheets:

Click on worksheet tab1.

Hold down shift key and click on worksheet tab 36.

Now all of the worksheet tabs should be highlighted.

While the worksheets are linked, anything you type or format on worksheet 1 will also be on the other 36 worksheets. This means that you don't need to copy and then open worksheet 2 and paste, open worksheet 3 and paste, and so on.

When you are finished with the initial set-up, click on a worksheet tab other than 1 and the sheets will no longer be linked. Now you can go to an individual week and type in specific page numbers or whatever.

I also rename my tabs simply 1-36 so that I can see all of the sheets along the bottom without scrolling.

FWIW- I wouldn't bother using word processing software to make grids/ tables when excel is already designed that way. Also, in excel I can store all my information in one workbook where I can easily flip back and forth between weeks.

HTH-

Mandy

Thanks, Mandy!!

I guess I knew how to "link" them. I just didn't realize that when they were linked, what was typed onto one sheet would go onto all of them. Nice!

I agree that Excel is much better than using Word - at least for me, it is.

Thanks again!

To link sheets:

Click on worksheet tab1.

Hold down shift key and click on worksheet tab 36.

Now all of the worksheet tabs should be highlighted.

While the worksheets are linked, anything you type or format on worksheet 1 will also be on the other 36 worksheets. This means that you don't need to copy and then open worksheet 2 and paste, open worksheet 3 and paste, and so on.

When you are finished with the initial set-up, click on a worksheet tab other than 1 and the sheets will no longer be linked. Now you can go to an individual week and type in specific page numbers or whatever.

I also rename my tabs simply 1-36 so that I can see all of the sheets along the bottom without scrolling.

FWIW- I wouldn't bother using word processing software to make grids/ tables when excel is already designed that way. Also, in excel I can store all my information in one workbook where I can easily flip back and forth between weeks.

HTH-

Mandy

Where were you two weeks ago before I started my new excel schedule????:lol:

Thank you for posting this! It is going to make the rest of my schedule so much easier.:D

I currently have two blank 36wk/180 day excel files saved. One is pretty plain and the other has a poem from the AO yr1 poetry at the top of each week.

I temporarily added my e-mail to my contact info, so if you want them shoot me an e-mail and I'll send them to you.

HTH-

Mandy

Open a book and add in worksheets for a total of 36 and then I link the sheets. Once the sheets are linked I create identical formatting for all 36 sheets. I typically do a couple of lines for child's name and week of school. Then, I label cells B3, C3, D3, E3, and F3 as Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. In column A rows 4 through whatever I place the child's subjects or books to be completed. I go into borders and create a grid in the place beside the books and underneath the days of the week. I format all column widths so the the sheets end up being one age wide for printing purposes. I highlight the grid and go into format cells and click wrap text. While the sheets are linked I also do things like decide on fun fonts a, sizes, and colors. Then I unlink the sheets and go to each week typing the pages that need to be completed under the days of the week horizontally across from the book.

TahDah!

Your very own SL style schedule. Save a blank copy and then you won't have to start from the beginning with the second child or the second year.

HTH-

Mandy

Thank you for this! I'm weird--I love HST+ for weekly/daily schedules and record keeping, but I've found the hard copy of our SL schedule this year to be invaluable for keeping us somewhat on track for history & literature (it's my first year doing anything that came with a schedule). It's almost too easy to reschedule plans in HST+--don't get me wrong, rescheduling is a great benefit, but I just do better at sticking to my plans if there is hard concrete evidence that my plans exist.

I think I'm going to use your idea and make and print master hard copy schedules for each subject next year. I can number the days (instead of doing days of the week), and I can place plans for all 5 boys on each subject schedule. I'll still enter the plans into HST+ for daily/weekly scheduling and record keeping, but I love the idea of having a year of plans in black and white to keep me on track!

I'm an excel-a-phobe, but you've explained this well and made it doable for me--thank you :001_smile:!

• 2 years later...

I realize that this is a really old thread, but I'm desperately looking for an excel template to make my weekly schedule look like SLs. Could someone who has one send me a copy please? I would be FOREVER grateful!

I have one that I could email to you. Just pm me with your email address :)

• 2 weeks later...

We make ours with donna young's method and schedules.

These are typeable. http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/5col.htm

I use the 9 row and type in the the weekly stuff/ subject and save the documents. Everyone is binder based, and their schedule goes at the front their binder, on top of last week's.

I also use the subject planners first (which you would only need for things not covered in SL IG's,) and then transfer over weekly. None of our subjects come with schedules. I'm scheduling three kids, so I am able to tweak when we work ahead or fall behind. http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/index.htm